Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Zoraki HP-01 (Webley Alecto)  (Read 42347 times)

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
  • Shooting one shot one hole groups at any range...
    • View Profile
    • Howickair facebook page
Zoraki HP-01 (Webley Alecto)
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
So when I first saw the images for this pistol and read about it my juices started to flow, as for me it represented not only a good looking but very powerful multipump pistol at a very affordable price.
My previous experiance with pnuematic pistols was limited to ownership of a gamo PR15 and a Weihrauch HW40.

When I visited the gunshop and handled it for the first time I was very impressed, my first thought was omg its so big and certainly for a pistol it is big. Its also well made from a strong composite plastic in a similar way to the HW40.
I tried a few test shots and found closing it on the 3rd stroke required a little strength and caution to make sure you didnt catch part of your hand or clothing in the action however after a few shots you find it easy to avoid any problem. 
It left me confused though because even though I now wanted one more than ever I didn't know whether I should buy the .177 or .22, standard or ultra.
I ended up buying the Standard .22 as it was to be a hunting backup on occassion and my go to hunting rifle is also .22. Luckily it turns out the Accupells I use in the rifle also perform very well in the Zoraki, I also had a drop leg holster into which it fitted despite its bulk and thought the extended barrel may catch...
So how does it shoot you ask?
Hmmm imagine an HW40 on steriods, instead of a weak fart when firing you get an almighty blast (Yes, it's loud)  It's very accurate though to get the best out of it I imagine most will use a double hand hold, I have taken shots at targets over 30yds away and hit them easily with open sights.
Its a large pistol but my very little wife can shoot very accurately with it, providing I do the pumping and loading.
So in short well made, accurate and more powerful (And fun) than a pistol should be

The only problem I have had is that I just don't shoot it often enough.
Even so i'm still tempted to purchase a second one!!! ;)
H.A.R.C President 2013-2018

Offline septictank

• Mana 13
    • View Profile
Re: Zoraki HP-01 (Webley Alecto)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:25:28 PM »
Thanks for the review Steve. I'm still really keen on one. Ron seems to have the best price around at $299. One of my local shops has a old stock .177, for $499  :o  If I hadnt spent moon money on duck shooting this year, I'd have one by now.

How bout some pics? And some shots of targets please.

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »
Will have to take some pics for you all when I next have her out...  :D

Vault

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »
I like reading about this model of air pistol, I've been over so many reviews, watched every clip on youtube and been wanting to buy one for ages now.   Although I havent yet purchased one I think I've finally decided that for my purpose of finishing off possums with a headshot and dropping rabbits out to 30m the .22 seems to be the best calibre.   Many times whilst possum hunting I've spooked rabbits from within 10m and thought damn if only I hadnt sold my HW45 as it's the perfect tool for trailing rabbits with but considering how amazingly accurate and powerful it was, not to mention the fantastic trigger and build quality it had one draw back as a back up, quick fire hunting pistol, it was spring powered.

I didnt like carrying it for too long cocked and ready to go as I liked to look after the spring and not stress it too much.   With the Zoraki being a multipump capable of near 12 ft/lb in .22 Im guessing its like a gasram it can be carried in a holster on 3 pumps without causing any stress to the system and be ready to go on the quick draw should the opportunity present itself.   I like the long barreled version, does anyone have any hunting experience using the .22 ultra model ?   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:24:26 AM by Vault »

Vault

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
I called Ron Young today and ordered a .22 Zoraki HP01 Ultra, hopefully it will be here in a day or two. I asked him about how many times you can pump it up, he said the Ultra is designed to handle 4 pumps and you can shoot it like that all day, every day and it'll be fine but for the standard one it's 3 pumps only.
So there you have it.

Standard 3 pumps max
Ultra 4 pumps max

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:21:30 PM by Vault »

Vault

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »
My Zoraki HP01 Ultra .22 arrived this morning so i thought I'd add the experience to this thread.

Well wrapped when it arrived from Youngs Airguns, the hardcase is nice and it fits the air pistol well, there's no worry about it moving while your traveling.

It's big and considerably bigger than an HW45, it resembles a Desert Eagle in size and shape, yet is surprisingly light. As Digit mentioned elsewhere the iron sights are not exceptional considering the potential accuracy that has been reported with this model, I would have prefered them to be much finer, the front post would have been better at half the width that it is and the rear sights have a wide squared notch that allows for plenty of vision on either side of the front post, to be honest I found that a let down.

On the plus side though, I know the sights are still good enough to shoot pretty accurately with, and trigger time is all that's needed to become accustomed to using them, they'll be good enough for shooting rabbits.

I cleaned the barrel then took it outdoors for a few test shots, the first 5 shots were to get it roughly sighted in, it was shooting 4 inches to the right at 11m straight out of the box.

I placed an Accupell in the breach and pumped it 4 times, I've no interest in shooting at less than full power and to my suprise it was bloody loud, in fact i believe it was on a par with my magnum powered Diana 54 .177 when it comes to loudness and I'd guess it to be louder still so that was a surprise.

For a multi pump Pnuematic I was expecting it to be recoiless but it had more recoil than my HW45, although I was in such a way that I enjoyed it, it was easily controllable and the muzzle flip was noticeable, so was the felt recoil and it gave it life which I really liked.

It will take some time to get used to it, the biggest thing to over come is the adjustable palm shelf but it's still very comfortable to hold. I was concerned about the sizing of the pre molded grips but to my pleasant surprise they fit my hand very well indeed.

The trigger is good straight out of the box but I will adjust it to how I like it best and see it I can either get it to a more predictable let off or just get used to using it.

Group wise I clover leafed 4 shots and one when about an inch to the right, but this was only at 11m unsupported.

I'm looking forward to having a chance to put 50+ shots through it to get used to pistol shooting again and then hopefully I'll have good weather to shoot it over the chrony and see which pellet it likes the best.

For hunting purposes I'll probably sight it bang on at 20-25m.

If anyone can recommend a drop leg holster that will fit the Zoraki, let me know please as I'll be needing one.

My biggest worry now though is which optic to put on it, I see Nzhunter has two that I like, a Leapers mini with quick release mounts that looks the business, light and compact

http://www.nzhunter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=259&zenid=3hlbn5r2ag6t3ajjpvltkkeis7

and a Mueller Quickshot

http://www.nzhunter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_19&products_id=213&zenid=3hlbn5r2ag6t3ajjpvltkkeis7

I think for $350 this is a lot of air pistol, I've no regrets except that I should have bought two of them, one in each calibre.

As I mentioned to Septic it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, and that's exactly what I did seeing as my missus opened the door to the courier man before me lol, I don''t think she'd appreciate it if he came back again within a few months, so I'll have to keep an eye out as I've got an order coming from Dealextreme too  ;D
Anyway here is a few photos and hopefully I'll take some more during my testing.

Offline septictank

• Mana 13
    • View Profile

Vault

Re: Desert Eagle Drop Leg Holster on TM
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:55:59 PM »
I will have to check where I got my one, it is a tight fit but works well and is a camo finish ;-)

Although I reckon the Sofben one should be fine too...

Offline septictank

• Mana 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
Vault, Ron has the Sofben leg/hip holster on his cattledog, ask him if the ultra fits.

Vault

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:44 AM »
Vault, Ron has the Sofben leg/hip holster on his cattledog, ask him if the ultra fits.

I saw that holster on his catalog but when I bought an HW45 I asked him about it then, he said it wouldnt fit that air pistol and the Zoraki is considerably bigger again.

I've been shooting plenty of targets on 4 pumps and it's an effort to close the action on the 4th pump, especially after 20 shots, my hand is still hurting.

I'll just have to harden up aye ;D

Vault

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
I had thought the trigger on the Zoraki wasnt very good, I'd been spoilt by the HW45 in the past, well I read the manual and then adjusted the trigger which is simple with the tool provided, just insert it into the small hole at the rear of the pistol grip and turn clockwise, I spun it a few times and with the air pistol unloaded found the trigger to be much firmer so went out side to load it and check it out.

;D Awesome ;D

It now has no first stage and with a very gentle pressure it fires, I have to say it has transformed the Zoraki into a different class of air pistol and with the trigger set like this it definately rivals the fantastic trigger of the HW45.

I believe the Zoraki is definately up for use for target shooting, if it wasnt so wet and windy outside today I'd put it over the chrony, Im really looking forward to that.

Offline Ka-ping

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
 Very inspiring posts.  Mine should arrive soon after speaking with Ron yesterday.

Good news about the trigger adjustment.  So now I am buying "the entry level target pistol I always knew they would make"  HaHa Great stuff for when I have to tell the missus........

To be used upon swing targets, feral tin cans, starlings and rosellas, with luck.

Pneumatics are stable.  Really enjoy my Webley Nemesis (low power) and my 1377 (basic sights) and am looking forward to this next step.

I am going to try a single point red dot sight, as worked well on the nemesis, after a blast with the open sights.

Fun to be had...

Vault

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Ka Ping,

I think it's safe to say you're going to love the Zoraki, I hope you bought the Ultra model, might as well get the Hammer.

Chrony numbers from earlier today.

It was reasonably cold so I would guess these could raise on a warm day as it's damn cold down here at the moment.

Zoraki HP01 Ultra .22 tested on 4 pumps with 10 shot strings.

Jsb Exact Express 14.3gr
Average 596.7 fps = 11.3 ft/lbs

Crosman Premier 14.3 gr
Average 566.8 fps = 10.2 ft/lbs

Accupell 14.3gr
Average 573.5 fps = 10.45 ft/lbs

Cometa Wadcutters (weight unknown) they came with the air pistol as part of the package.
Average 645 fps
SD 7

The CP's and Accupells both grouped reasonably well 10 shots into a 50c piece size at 18m from a rested position but the Jsb Express pellets grouped half that size so were clearly the better performer today.

Im sure once I get back into pistol shooting mode or at least get some more light on my target hopefully I'll be able to shrink those groups, or I'll get an air pistol scope/redot or something and I'm sure that will make things much more precise.

Anyway thats some pretty good power for an air pistol.

I need more pellets to test, I hope the Predator polymags group well

UPDATE
=====
Just corrected the weight of the Accupell Pellets to 14.3gr from the supposed 16gr that I thought they were, that has lowered the energy to 10.45 ft/lbs with the Accupell Pellet. So far in my Zoraki the Jsb 14.3gr is the best performer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:06:48 PM by Vault »

Offline Ka-ping

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
Yep, I ordered the ultra in 22.

I have just put the first 30 pellets through it and got it roughly sighted in, two hand grip at 10m.

Impressive accuracy for just having a quick blast!  Very pleased.  I can tell that with this pistol I now have less excuses.............

Great figures from your chrony.  It certanly has heaps of grunt.
I like shooting tin cans full of water and it is great seeing them explode into the air from a pistol shot  ;D

I'll fiddle with the grip and trigger, try different pellets and fit a sight.  Lots of fun to be had.

Cheers