Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Rapid Compact P-Rod bullpup kit  (Read 21881 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
Rapid Compact P-Rod bullpup kit
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »

As promised here's a small review of the compact P-Rod bullpup kit being produced in Spain by my buddy Rapid..

Although I have built my own compact walnut stock for a P-rod I felt the urge for another one.. I figured one in .22 and one in .177 should cover all bases..  ;D
My first emails to Rapid were to satisfy my curiosity requesting pictures of the trigger set up etc but he did not share this with me.. instead he got one on its way to me and he kept me well informed of its build progress and shipping status once sent.

The kit in my opinion is very reasonably priced, retailing at $350 USD + postage. With the price you can pick up a Marauder pistol  that makes for a very cheap little mid powered multi shot minipup. I will probably keep this one tuned at 13-14ftlbs but the P-rod can be wound up to about 20ftlbs if desired.
Realistically this is a 30-50 yard gun and a great back yard plinker so I dont see any point in tuning it so hot that your shot count crashes..

The package showed up well marked and the kit well packed. No damage and all complete.

The stock is made from Kiln dried (vaporized) European Beech Wood. This timber is stable, resistant to warping, lightweight and easy to work. There are no knots. As I said earlier I ordered the "walnut look" which means this stock has a light walnut coloured stain on it and has been finished with a satin varnish.
The stock is well made and shaped right but could benefit from a little more sanding work before finishing. My stock has a few signs tool burning and "blunt CNC tooling trauma" that tends to chip out some of the grain when tools are dull or the machine speed is to slow. I will fill them back to level with a clear resin and lightly sand the whole stock with 1200 grit paper then give it a coat or two of true oil or similar to satisfy the OCD in me.  ;)

Once I had the kit in hand Rapid sent me a word document of instructions to fit it.
After a quick browse through I set to work and stripped the Maurauder pistol. The safety catch needs to be removed and pistol grip requires some major surgery that may not sit well with the guys that buy with "originality or re-sale value" in mind but with all parts including the complete pistol grip available from Crosman at a very reasonable price I soon found myself halfway through the pistol grip with a hacksaw...   ??? I had considered originally milling a new trigger block that was just big enough to retain the trigger components but the hacksaw  dulled that urge.

With that job complete I moved onto fitting the small brass gauge extension that drops the gauge low enough to run the trigger linkage "wishbone" parts either side of it.
This is where my first problem came up... the thread on the Marauder gauge and cylinder is 1/8"BSP tapered but the thread on the brass extension is a 1/8"NPT tapered, a non tapered male 1/8" BSP thread will thread loosely into a female 1/8"NPT  but  a Male NPT straight thread wont thread into a female BSP. Because the threads on the Marauder are tapered it will allow this extension to be fitted but no matter how much thread tape I put on it I couldn't get it to seal! I tried 3 different loctite products and even a couple of O rings but it still leaked bad.

I soon worked out that it was bottoming out on the air tube before the "slightly loser" tapered NPT thread could lock up and seal on the female BSP..

I put the part in the lathe and removed about an 1/8" from above the thread so more of the taper could screw into the cylinder..
With a small amount to thread sealant this did the trick and the "hiss" stopped.

The gauge does sit a little too recessed in its viewing port for my liking which shows a large void and will probably let crap into the trigger parts so I will eventually machine a new extension to bring the gauge almost flush with the stock.

From there I fitted the weaver rail and trigger linkage which as a whole is nicely designed and functions well.

Once the trigger was set up I wasnt happy with the heavy raspy feel to it, I tracked the grittiness down to where the threaded rod runs through the trigger block and washer held under load with the return spring.. the thread rod was grinding up and down the washer which felt and sounded terrible..

...back to the lathe I filed and polished the thread off the accused section and now it runs smooth.

With a bit of fine tuning I now have a very acceptable adjustable trigger. Just dont expect any miracle match triggers from it as it is only as good as the factory P-Rod trigger it mirrors.

The metal parts are well machined and the fit is great, the shroud remains floating within the new front riser mount but it does not have the internal Oring that the factory one has. Again a little more time taken on the polishing before anodising process would leave a better finish at least on the Weaver rail and riser that are visible.

The riser mount and weaver rail are machined from 7075 "alzintok 75".  (Duralumin with alloy aluminium and zinc) and the other parts are 6063-T5 "simagaltok 63". (alloy: aluminium, magnesium and silicon.) Both materials are up to the job they carry out but the finish on the 7075 parts are a shade of steely blue which often happens when anodizing this harder 7000 series alloy.

Rapid, if you want to get a better finish on these parts you should bead blast them before the anodizing process, this will hide all the machining /de-buring marks and aid a more durable coating also match the matt black finish of the P- rod better.

The last small mod I made was to the rear stock mounting cap screws. The stock is countersunk for the smaller oddball factory dome head screws that hold the plastic pistol grips on but I saw no point in needing a Allen key to remove the front cap screws then a flat head screwdriver to remove the rear screws so I have drilled and tapped the pistol grip frame to 4mm and countersunk the stock with a 5/32" piloted countersink tool, after a spot of touch up stain I fitted some countersunk cap screws to match the front.

So all in all I think its a great little product and makes a very compact little pup out of a relativity inexpensive pistol.
Well done to you Rapid for an all round nice product that will provide us with loads of fun and nice work on your great follow up service with your sales. ;D

I am yet to sight it and shoot it as I ran out of light while trying to fix the leak but Ill do that tomorrow and group it with a bunch of different pellet to see what diet it prefers. Id imagine it will shoot like every other P-Rod out there and certainly not break any records but If anyone is interested in that I can post a few pics here too..
Here it is all mounted up with some compact Burris 4X glass.

Well the weather has turned to crap today with rain and strong wind so I was confined to my 30 yard indoor range..
I left the P-Rod compact tethered to my buddy bottle with the tap open and 2500psi in it to keep the pressure consistent for pellet testing..
I shot groups of 5 of a selection of quality pellets and the results varied.
I am really seeing a patern forming with guns that dont like JSB pellets well almost always shoot the German H&N pellets well.
The H&N FTTs were a clear winner with 1/2" at 30 yards with the Barracudas a close second. I feel the 21gr Barracudas are a little too heavy for this little pup and the trajectory will suffer even if only out to 50 yards. I will shoot the H&N 14.66 FTTs exclusively in this one and have tuned them to 750fps - 18.3ftlbs.

I shot of a few mags of the FTT's out to 60 yards on my 4" gong and they held true to that range so then it was off for a bit of "soft target testing"  ;)

http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29749
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:27:10 PM by Wingman »

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
Re: Rapid Compact P-Rod bullpup kit
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »
Looks like another nice little pup! Always liked the look of the p-rod and I can still see plenty of uses in that power range. Surprised it doesn't like the jsb's, I always assumed they kept the same crosman barrel as the 22xx range under the shroud and all my ones love the jsb/edgun range
Lots of airguns

Offline Heinekevin

• Mana 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
Where did you get the moderator .... Can that kit still be ordered to convert into a bullpup?

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
The suppressor is a alloy carbon 3 piece bunny buster "Slim Jim, no longer in business but they come up for sale on trademe often.. I just threaded my marauders front cap and use a 1/2"x20tpi male/male adaptor to fit it. Makes it super quiet and gives the short pup a better look.
yes you can order this kit from my buddy in Spain.. Check out the Red link at the bottom of the review for other colour options.. Email him at rapid-70@hotmail.com and tell him Wingman sent you. ;)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »
Looks like another nice little pup! Always liked the look of the p-rod and I can still see plenty of uses in that power range. Surprised it doesn't like the jsb's, I always assumed they kept the same crosman barrel as the 22xx range under the shroud and all my ones love the jsb/edgun range

Plenty of uses indeed.. Theis one gets used almost daily.. I have an issue with starlings and sparrows building nests in my mail box and lifting the lead on my roof to get into the ceiling cavity.. the P-rod has been demonstrating to them that this was not actually a good idea.. its a very good indoor gun and wont do the damage to background wood and iron etc that my 30+ftlbs guns do.
All the barrels on the Marauders both rifles and pistols I've inspected seem to be on the larger bore size and the chokes are very slight.. This one wont shoot the JSBs well for that reason. the FTTs it loves are 5.55mm which is why they shoot well, I also have run some 18.1gr Edgun pellets I have that are 5.54mm and it shoots them well too. The are a different barrel to the 22xx and have different internal rifling specs and dimensions. IMO the 22xx barrels are better.
I will eventually use up my supply of large head sized pellets and re-barrel this one with a Lothar Walther match barrel. I have been considering converting it to .20 cal for something different also.

Offline Ecko

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »
Hey Phil
Rapid seems good to deal with. I'm looking at getting a bullpup stock for the S410.
What sort of waiting time did you have on your stock from him?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:21:50 AM by Ecko »

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
Yea he's a top bloke.. not sure what his wait time is at the moment but up to 4 weeks when he's busy..
Mine was fast as it was ready to ship when we first talked.. I think it took 9 days in transit..

Offline Ecko

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »
Cheers - this bullpup game is addictive.  8)

Offline Sparrowgun

• Mana 8
  • I hate all vegetables, except mixed vegetables.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
I ordered one of these too. Javier is a top bloke. I haven't received mine yet but it wont be far away! Can't wait to put it together.Just got the instructions on the email, don't really need them after Wingman review.

Offline William burns

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
I am very interested in ordering one of the marauder pistol bullpup kits, how much are they, thankyou !

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
Are you in New Zealand?  From what I understand you can not import these pistols anymore, there are some in the country but not many.
Lots of airguns

Offline William burns

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
I am from the us

Offline William burns

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
I have the prod pistol and am trying to find a bullpup kit for it, my fellow friends/members tole me to talk to you about it

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »
Well I am not interested in PCPs nor Bullpups but I really appreciated that post. Well done.