Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Show me your kill photos  (Read 48350 times)

Vault

Show me your kill photos
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
We in NZ are mostly hunting the same pest animals day after day,

rabbit's and possums,
the occasional Ferret/Weasel,
Magpies/Mynah/Starlings and Rosella's

You've seen one you've seen them all unless you come accross a mutant one which happens occasionally.

Here's a Big Possum, it wasn't shot, Possum Shooter ran it over on the way home, I put the Air rifle there so could see it's a big one, this air rifle is about the size of the average Deer Hunting rifle.

Below is an average sized Possum next to a big one

and of course rabbits

Now for all you hunters that live in different countries and target different species, we'd love to see your hunting photos..

Offline jason3064

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your kill photos
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
Here's two of the species we hunt in Trinidad and Tobago,the Agouti and the Iguana.

Offline septictank

• Mana 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:58 PM »
BIGGEST

SMALLEST

Vault

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »

Here's two of the species we hunt in Trinidad and Tobago,the Agouti and the Iguana.

Now thats what Im talking about, I've heard of airgunners from parts of the US and Mexico targeting Agouti and the Iguana, those certianly are not species that we' ever encounter here, The Agouti looks like some form of giant rodent, can you eat them ?

The Iguana looks much bigger than I thought it would be, is that edible or just a pest species ?
 Id like to know abit about the choice of air rifle and calibre used to hunt these animals, this is definately something new to me.

Vault

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »

BIGGEST

Thats a fitting description,and is the biggest Hare I've ever seen.

Offline septictank

• Mana 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »

2 for 1

Offline deecaig

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »
a few hares

a wallaby not the biggest this one was shot with .308 big bore and gladiator knocks them over nicely

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
pigeon pie :),some people says yuk,but its damn yummy ;D lol
NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
  • Shooting one shot one hole groups at any range...
    • View Profile
    • Howickair facebook page
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »

Here's a Big Possum, it wasn't shot, Possum Shooter ran it over on the way home, I put the Air rifle there so could see it's a big one, this air rifle is about the size of the average Deer Hunting rifle.

Thought it looked a little TIRED!  ;D
H.A.R.C President 2013-2018

Offline jason3064

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
Yup they're both eaten over here,in fact they're both considered delicacies if you're into eating wild meat lol. If you have a fire arms license you can use a .22 but if you dont have one ,which is very hard to get, you can only use .177.Thus 99% of the airgunners here use .177 and all the the air rifles sold here are in fact .177. One more thing to note all air rifles sold here are smoothe bore.You can only use spiralled bore air rifles if you have the aforementioned fire arms license and it'll have to be imported.The gun pictured in the photos is my diana 350 magnum .177 smoothe bore.

Vault

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »
yep steve when we stopped to see how it was the first thing i noticed was it looked pretty run down

There's some great photos being posted here, and piles of dead animals, the wallaby is a good one, someday Id like hunt for one of them, I heard you can eat them and the tail is supposed to be really good.

It often amazes me what critters are common pests in different countries, I remember following some hunting threads on the DWC forum and guys were talking about shooting racoons, squirrels, and groundhogs, Id always thought a groundhog was made up for that movie groundhog day but they're real alright.

Anyone else have some proud hunting memories to share ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:35:25 PM by Vault »

Vault

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 11:41:26 PM »

Yup they're both eaten over here,in fact they're both considered delicacies if you're into eating wild meat lol. If you have a fire arms license you can use a .22 but if you dont have one ,which is very hard to get, you can only use .177.Thus 99% of the airgunners here use .177 and all the the air rifles sold here are in fact .177. One more thing to note all air rifles sold here are smoothe bore.You can only use spiralled bore air rifles if you have the aforementioned fire arms license and it'll have to be imported.The gun pictured in the photos is my diana 350 magnum .177 smoothe bore.

Thats very interesting, the Diana 350 is a powerhouse, does the fact that your rifle has a smoothbore effect accuracy at all, what type of pellets and weights do you use for hunting and how well does it group at 30m on a good day ?

Offline jason3064

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »
When all you know is one thing it's hard to judge it against another.With that said i find it shoots accurate when i get my hold perfect and groups relatively well at 30 metres.I'm not a great shot but usually get one to one and a quarter inch groups,only been in air gunning for nine months now. The pellets i use are the Diana high power which are 10.65 grains.Getting the perfect hold with this gun is most important and when you're shooting off hand like i do its even harder i find lol

Offline Rapid_Shooter

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »
These young pigs were trapped on our section in Featherston, them and others plough up the ground and make a huge mess, so far I have caught 6 young pigs, 1 medium sized one and 1 large sow.
I shot the larger one's with a .243 and the smaller ones I was contemplating for a while whether I should shoot them with my .22 Theoben, I know there has been heaps of discussion on many forums about if you could humanely kill pigs with air rifles, and I didn't want to cause any suffering to the pigs if I shot one without killing it straight away.
A few week prior I did some close range testing (2 feet) on some 22 gauge panel steel in the garage, the result was the pellet went through with ease and penetrating about 1 cm into the wood backstop, so I thought if this was a young pigs head it should not be no problem killing it quick when shot between the eyes.
So all the pigs in the picture was shot between the eyes at 2 feet away in the trap and they all dropped like a sack of potatoes then quickly bleed.
They look a bit dirty as I had to drag them down from the top of the section.

Vault

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »
Thats a fantastic result, Rapid Shooter brings home the bacon ;)