Username:

Password:

Author Topic: No FAL - Wanting to import Air Force Talon PCP Pistol. Very confused by rules.  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Some_Web_Guy

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

Really wanting to get into PCP without getting a FAL as I am not an NZ citizen.  My understanding of the current legal situation is that PCP Pistols are not subjected to the same laws that PCP rifles are.  I am wanting to import an Air Force Talon PCP Pistol from Pyramidair.

Will I require a FAL or a permit for this pistol?
Does anyone have a different similar gun if the Talon is unavailable?  I am wanting to get into hunting with PCP and since possums are pretty sturdy, I am looking for something with high FPE output for quick kills.

Thanks for your input. 

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
I'm no expert on current state of import laws but I believe anything that is modeled against a real pistol will be rejected at the border now, most pcp hunting pistols probably wouldn't fall into this category tho I would have thought. There are some locally made pcp pistols around and the odd imported one come up for sale every so often.

Does not being a citizen stop you from getting a fal? Do you hold one in your home country?
Lots of airguns

Offline Some_Web_Guy

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Link to the pistol in question:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/AirForce_TalonP_PCP_Air_Pistol_Spin_Loc_Tank/2400/5127

To be honest I am not sure about the exact rules regarding me not being a citizen, but I know getting one from my home country is harder than its worth.  I am also renting which makes the storage requirements of a FAL hard as well.

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
Minimum storage requirements is an eye bolt in a wardrobe and a chain with a padlock, basically so long as they are out of view and physically locked. Safes are cheap tho so don't let that put you off doing it properly! Go along to a mountain safety course (first step to getting your fal) and ask the questions around citizenship. It's worth doing it properly.
Lots of airguns

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
There are plenty of spring or nitro rifles that will do possums and don't require a fal too...
Lots of airguns

Offline Some_Web_Guy

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Yeah I've been bitten by the bug.  Already have a .22 springer that I am loving but I am always looking for more.  The PCP pistol route seemed like a good idea as if I am able to get a FAL I can mod it to be pretty much the same as the rifle.

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
  • Shooting one shot one hole groups at any range...
    • View Profile
    • Howickair facebook page
Given the state of legislation in NZ and the difficulty to obtain import permits for other air pistols and rifles currently I would never even consider trying to import a PCP pistol with or without an FAL

Just my 2c worth...

H.A.R.C President 2013-2018

Offline Some_Web_Guy

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Hmmm I was afraid of that... in that case what would be the best way to source one within NZ?  How much would an NZ made pistol cost and where would I get one?

Offline Heinekevin

• Mana 7
    • View Profile
Hi I know the guys at Str8shooter in Christchurch have 2 in stock .

http://www.str8shooters.co.nz/shop/pcp-air-rifles/

They have a adapter that will make it a Pistol or a carbine

HK

Offline Some_Web_Guy

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions guys - In the not too distant future I will have a chat with the firearms officer at the local police station to see what my requirements are as to obtaining a FAL. 
I should contact str8shooters tomorrow to see if speccing a talon to be a pistol will allow them to legally sell it to me as a PCP pistol without a Firearm license (although I am expecting the answer to be a no - no fault to the str8shooter guys, they gotta keep it legal etc). 

I am not going to risk trying to order one into the country - I simply could not bare the thought of tracking it all the way here only to have it destroyed by customs due to a lack of clarification on the laws. 

Another option I have been reading up about is building a PCP 2240 by starting with a standard 2240 and adding a HiPac conversion to it.  I can get the pistol without a problem locally (may even be allowed to import it but then I run into the whole 'if it looks like a real pistol it cannot be imported' issue.  Once again, I am not going to try to import something (without assurances) when the legality of it depends on the particular customs officers interpretation on what 'a real pistol' looks like. 

Anyway another thing I like about the conversion is that the 2240 can be built up to a pretty nice performing air gun with a few simple mods.  And it can be put back together if I want to go back to using the 12g CO2 tanks.  Ideally, I am aiming for to end up with a .25 carbine that can easily do 20+ foot pound of energy.  Seems to be doable with the HiPac kit, a longer barrel and some mods to the springs from what I have been reading.  As long as it stays under the length limit, it should still be quite legal.

Also, since I am pretty new to the whole air gunning game, I was wondering if someone can run me through the various fill methods - The prices of the manual pumps to be honest has rather shocked me, as I didnt think it would be so expensive.  What are the prices on getting a tank with HPA all sorted?  I would much rather the convenience of simply attaching a hose and turning a regulator on to refill rather than having to manually pump 50+ times.  Plus I imagine that they will run the same cost if not less than a hand/foot pump.

And lastly, I have seem a few of the NZ made airguns that a few forum members have built (mainly Wingman, but there are a few more out there).  Is it possible to have a simple PCP pistol comissioned to be built by these guys?  I am guessing that this kind of work is not exactly cheap as well.....

Any thoughts ?

Thanks again for taking the time out to answer my questions - It gets rather confusing once you get this deep into it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:15:45 PM by Some_Web_Guy »

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Wait till you get into hst, vst, lock time, reg pressure, peer pressure, gst and all aspects of pcp guns. Does my head in, but still am fascinated by them. :o
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
Haha had to laugh at peer pressure!!    But then I realised how much I have spent trying to keep up with you guys   :'(

You big bullies!
Lots of airguns

Offline Some_Web_Guy

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Im already starting to understand you.....In a few months I've gone from buying a $50 springer from a pawn shop (cause it was $50, so why not?) all the way to where I am now - My girlfriend has gotten used the fact that my hobbies are expensive but I know that she (along with my wallet) is still not happy with me spending even more money on more guns.  Didn't think it could be this addictive...

Offline Ecko

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
Girlfriend eh?

You and me both...

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
I'd call it more of an illness. ;)
HW98
HW97k