Username:

Password:

Author Topic: 6th type of sight should be night vision.  (Read 2277 times)

Offline antman

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
6th type of sight should be night vision.
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:03:44 AM »
I've used night vision scopes on air rifles for hunting and pest control. Let me know if you need any advice.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Re: 6th type of sight should be night vision.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:38:54 AM »
I have toyed with the idea of doing a diy NV. It would be used for pigeons and rabbits. Any advice on achievable results?
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline antman

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
I have toyed with the idea of doing a diy NV. It would be used for pigeons and rabbits. Any advice on achievable results?

I'm sure I've seen cellphones attached to occular lenses and a powerful ir torch. Double up as a recorder.

A laser pointer and a budget nv monocular is another option, and one that I have used myself. More useful at closer distance or against larger animals though.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:58 PM »
Sorry, long time between drinks but when you say a laser pointer, do you mean an IR pointer?
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Heinekevin

• Mana 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »
Hi Guys

If you got to the NIGHT-SCOUT site you will be able to order a IRTourch to suite your shooting distance as well as a camera/battery pack that is used on the night site equipment .. I am in contact with Danny and he said he can put a kit together for me for 210 pounds ,this is using their T 38 IR torch which provides you with 150 feet which is ok for signs .

You can order drop in led which you can convert your IRTiuch to a normal touch ...

I am waiting for a reply on freight and will place a order

Go heck out the site

HK

Offline Heinekevin

• Mana 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
This predictive spelling on the I pad is driving me nuts .... Sorry about the spelling

HK

Offline antman

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:20:48 PM »
Sorry, long time between drinks but when you say a laser pointer, do you mean an IR pointer?

I've only just noticed your question, sorry. I mean an IR laser sight. Needs to have a wavelength of no more than 850nm for use with a image intensifier goggle/monocular. I have used a similar set-up with a red laser sight mounted to my rimfire on rabbits. Some were spooked, and some sat and shot.

This set-up seemed a bit imprecise to me because I am used to using night scopes. However, we sold a Gen3+ goggle to a professional pest controller who had very good results against rabbits with a red laser sight whilst using his goggle. Probably the main difference between what he does and what I do, is he body shoots whilst I head shoot. He has since bought a thermal riflescope from us, which will undoubtedly increase his kill rate.
I'll be in touch soon regarding the demo Photon. Just deciding on which would be best for airgunning, 4.6x or 6.5x magnification. I've just fitted a 4.6x Photon to my Diana 31. Can,t wait to sight it in and go bunny worrying.