Username:

Password:

Author Topic: SPA CP1m Review Part 1  (Read 1533 times)

Online Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
SPA CP1m Review Part 1
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »
I wrote this a few months back for the Facebook Page, Not sure how well it will translate into here but lets give it a go.

CP1-m First Impressions
Out of the box this pistol feels a lot more expensive than it is. The finish on the metal is clean with sharp edges and straight lines, deep bluing for the tube + barrel and nice anodizing for the alloy breech, trigger guard and muzzle weight. The finish on the wood is plain but tidy and it fits in the hand fairly well once you get used to the slight upward rake, aesthetically it’s on the ugly side but that’s not hard to fix. It comes with a 9 shot auto indexing magazine and a nicely made single shot tray, these are exchanged easily and are held in place well by a magnet which is a nice feature.
Using this pistol is fairly simple. The Co2 cartridge is loaded by unscrewing the tube end cap (Which has a nice feature of a hole right through so you can easily do it up tight or undo it if it was done up too tight!) and dropping the cartridge face down into the tube, tightening the end cap back up again and then cock and fire in a safe direction to confirm you have pierced the cartridge – Loud bang if you have, quiet “boing” if you haven’t. The bolt action is smooth, easy to cock and feels very natural being on the left hand side of the breech, it also allows for de-cocking the pistol if the shot opportunity is missed but be careful doing this with the mag in as you will double load pellets. The single shot tray works very well being easy and fast to load even with my sausage fingers, I tried the biggest 177 pellets I had (JSB Exact Monster 13.4gr) and even they loaded perfectly, I have not used the magazine much yet and will provide more details on it in the next article. The rear sight block is the only plastic part on the pistol and is adjustable for windage and elevation, they were set a little high for 10m out of the box but easily adjusted down, windage changes seemed to work well when tested. There is no safety on the CP1m but I have always practiced the “don’t cock it until ready to fire” approach which is far safer than relying on any mechanical safety.
Shooting the CP1m is where it gets exciting for me as a tuner, it is perfectly acceptable out of the box for the money with ok grouping and fairly consistent chrony strings but it shows heaps of potential to be even better with the below tinkering.
• The trigger is light but a bit spongy and vague (There is an adjustment screw in most of them and an empty thread in others where it can be added). A polish and some adjustment should fix this.
• The open sights are clear and easy to use but the potential of this pistol deserves some sort of compact magnified optics which would be easy to mount on the 11mm dovetail rail.
• The hammer bounces and wastes a bit of Co2 with a “boing” sound. A HDD (Hammer De-bounce Device) will be one of the first mods I think. A stronger valve spring or lighter hammer spring might also help here.
• The muzzle report is on the medium to loud side. There is a nice little gap between the tube and the barrel which means a slightly offset full over barrel carbon silencer could be made up fairly easily.
The long term plan for this one is to replace the barrel with something a bit longer and turn it into a suppressed carbine with a 1-4x compact scope, possibly on bulk Co2 or HPA.
Performance figures out of the box
• Average of 530fps on 7.3gr JSB Exarct Rs which gives 4.6fpe
• Average of 456fps on 10.5gr Crosman Premiers which give 4.8fpe. These were the most consistent with results 460, 457, 453, 454, 456.
• Average of 438fps on 13.43gr JSB Exact Monster which gives 5.8 fpe.
• So far I have only emptied 2 Co2 cartridges but both have still been at full power until around 42 shots and then died off quickly.
• Grouping tests have only been with the Crosman Premier so far as they were the most consistent on the chrony, best group so far is 18mm CTC at 10m unrested. Shooting out to 20m on the open sights proved easy with no hold over required and a couple of feathered victims downed.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:17:56 PM by Mintie »
Lots of airguns

Offline bjolil

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
Re: SPA CP1m Review Part 1
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »
Cant see the pictures :'(

Online Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
Cant see the pictures :'(

Photobucket is painful. I will try to host them somewhere else.
Lots of airguns

Offline Azmodan

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 10:45:45 PM »
where to buy or how to make a HDD (Hammer De-bounce Device) ?

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »
Funny, just been looking into this myself. My son has one of these guns.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22