Username:

Password:

Author Topic: New Tuxing 4500psi compact compressor  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 38
    • View Profile
Re: New Tuxing 4500psi compact compressor
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »
Well well well.... I succeeded in breaking my compressor, proper broke it.. in fact catastrophic failure!

After connecting it to my dive bottle and turning it on I went inside to grab my other bottles to fill and I heard a loud mechanical bang and the compressor noise stopped..

I rushed back out to the shed and first spotted the compressors piston and conrod laying on the floor, I had to step over it to shut it off.. the electric motor was still spinning the crank and it was trying to vibrate of my work bench.. the head and piston cylinder was blown clean off and hanging off the wip line and dive bottle..
The piston was badly damaged and the rings were smashed all over the place.. the second stage piston was broken off and its four rings were missing completely.

My educated guess tells me by the amount of carbon on the second stage piston and the very burned Viton O rings that seal the second stage piston cylinder to the head is that this pump went pop because of dieseling due to too much oil getting past the upper second stage piston rings and getting compressed to 4500psi...

I am not at all surprised this happened and to be honest I was kinda expecting it..
I have been procrastinating replacing the second stage piston rings every time I used it, I had noticed weeks ago that it was taking much longer to fill tanks and there was a lot of oil starting to appear in the line filters and bleed cycle.
I am almost happy it happened because now I know how hard I can push it and how often I should be changing the second stage rings. They are very cheap and I have a whole bag of them, I just got lazy and kept telling myself Ill change them before the next fill... Ill change them before the next fill ;D

I have ordered a new cylinder and piston kit for it that should be here next in a couple of days.. again the parts are very cheap and the service has been great.
After a bottom end inspection and clean I have rebuilt/resealed the head and cleared out all debris and old oil/carbon and its ready to assemble with the new bits. 

I have lost count of how many hours Ive put on this little compressor and how many bottles and gun fills its done but I am still very happy with it and it doesnt break the bank even having to do a major rebuild.
$40 american and its back in business.
With dive bottle fills costing $7 to $10 a time and all the annual/biannual dive bottle related tests it is not cheap to own multiple bottles.
The capability to direct fill guns and the smaller carbon fiber buddy bottles to 300bar has also been great.

Now I know the units limits I will look after it and service it more regularly for sure as I can firmly say my desire to break it and test the Chinese engineering's integrity has been satisfied..
Im not going to lie... I did laugh a lot when I found the piston laying on the floor in front of my dive bottle.. ;D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:49:02 PM by Wingman »

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
Good to know it's limits and it's comforting to know you are still confident and happy with it!   It's on my list but not easy to get it into the shed and use it without raising some eyebrows inside.
Lots of airguns

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »
The parts for my rebuild arrived this morning and after a good clean with alcohol I clocked the rings correctly and reassembled it all with new Bauer synthetic compressor oil and ran it without load for 20mins.

Back in business, fills my 500cc buddy bottle from dead empty to 4500psi in 5 mins.
I replaced the chinese manometer with a good quality Sabre one and filled it with glycerine..  the cheap chinese one was about 10bar out and the needle vibrated so much it was hard to read. The new one works great and gives me more peace of mind when direct filling guns.

Offline mondo

• Mana -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »
The tuxing has one flaw, and that is the temp sensor is placed to far away for an accurate reading.15mins operating time with 15mins (sometimes more)cool off with the water flow on is what I have done with my yong heng with no problems after 25 hours of run time.So whatever brand you buy, 15mins or max 50 degrees c (even though the manual says max 65c) , and change the oil at least every 1.5 hours runtime with hydraulic 46 oil.Heat is the enemy for these compressors.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:25:03 PM by mondo »

Offline Marvin

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 03:26:22 AM »
I had a question about this compressor... on the inside of the cooling jacket there are several pipes, is the high pressure output being routed through those pipes to cool it before it is sent to the Foster connector? I assume 4 of the pipes are for the holding screws, I canít tell what the rest of them do from the pics. Iíve tried asking the question to the seller on AliExpress but language has been a challenge. Thanks for helping me out here. Iím researching these compressors and trying to make up my mind which one to get.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 09:01:20 AM »
Yes the air does run through the cooling pipes that also helps condense and collect water and oil residue which collects in the lower tubes with the bleed screws.

These really are just a hobby compressor that require a lot of maintenance so if you are a heavy air user Id recommend you steer away now. 
I eventually broke the crank on mine and burned out the electric motor.
I gave it away to a mate for parts for his and purchased a Bauer JNR.

Offline Marvin

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Iíd very much on the hobby end of this. I started looking at these compressors once my nearby refill shop closed and my large 9L/88cuft 4500psi tank expired (no more hydroís left). My thinking was this compresor could be an alternative to a new tank and more inconvenient refills. A full tank typically lasts me about 4 months. My small tank is still within itís life but would need to refill it more often than I care to drive. This compressor would still be cheaper than a new full size tank.
With that said, do you think the effort and running costs of setting up and maintaining this guy(getting good oil,replacing seals, cleaning it, etc) is worth it vs just getting a new tank? Again, thanks for your time.

Offline yurifink

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 05:35:07 AM »
Hi there
Im not PCP gun user but iv'e fount this forum after Googling about Tuxing breaking.
First about my self:
I have 2 two stage compressors, one from Yingheng and the second is Tuxing.

The Yingheng  was my fist one and I have it for about 2 years now with filling about 10 90/4500 tanks a month.
Only maintenance that was made is the o-ring replacement on the high pressure cylinder that tend to burst and release air into water cooling. Finally replaced it with polyurethane one. And it works fine now.

Few month ago i have bought the Tuxing, it was cheaper but seems to have the same configuration and the same parts. But i have noticed that it had tendency to get hot faster when finally it started to spit oil into the air.
I have disassembled the high pressure piston 4 rings all were melted and broken. I had replaced them but science than it began to overheat faster. And it was making lots of oil vapors comparable to Yinbeng.
Finally one day Tuxing crank just broke.

Long story short i dont know if i was just unlucky with the Tuxing, but i would like for sure to have someone to share opinions and experience with.

Currently thinking to buy 1 two stage compressor and one 1 stage compressor for mobility.

Offline IanB

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 12:49:31 AM »

See on your piston high end, the split rings , do you have another image of how the o rings are placed underneath them and how they should be fitted.

Is it a case of x2 green o rings under each piston slot then a split piston ring over the top of the o rings ?

Finding it difficult to locate any proper information on these units.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:48:54 PM by Wingman »

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
There are no rubber o rings there, just those bronze composite split rings.

Offline IanB

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
I'm getting conflicting views regarding this.. as when I stripped mine down, the bottom secondary piston ring seal had x2 green o rings, underneath it, the middle one had x1 ring and the top none.. I stripped due to a problem with getting pressure past 260barg... others have said theres a single oring under each seal also.. maybe its different on certain models.