Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Howa 55G .22 Air Rifle  (Read 196 times)

Offline Mintie

• Mana 28
    • View Profile
Howa 55G .22 Air Rifle
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
This is one of my recent acquisitions, Its a Howa 55G in .22. These are a high quality Japanese co2 repeating rifle made by a company that normally makes centrefire rifles, I don't know the history of why they branched out into airguns but would be keen to learn if anyone out there does know?

The rifle is bolt action with a 5 shot tube magazine, the beech slides to the left when you pull the bolt back which also cocks the hammer and then when you push the bolt forward it slides the breech back and the probe seats the pellet into the barrel. There is a loud click as you close the bolt which seems to be some sort of safety mech that stops you from opening the bolt again. This type of repeater really only lends itself to wad cutter shaped pellets and anything else I have tried so far just jam up, which is a shame because being co2 the heavier the pellet the more energy you get and wadcutters don't come heavy :(

The co2 loading in this rifle is a dual back to back cartridge setup which pierces both cartridges at once and puts the whole tube under pressure, due to the power you really only get 15-20 shots from 2 carts which is pretty bad !!    Working on a bulk fill setup for this instead because that's pretty expensive shooting!

Accuracy seems good so far but I haven't had time to put it on paper properly at decent ranges, it does ring my 2" bell every time from a standing position at 20m.

The chrony results are good but the first shot is high which seems odd... I am sure if I could get it to feed heavier pellets like Barracudas it would be up around the 16fpe mark but I am still happy with a sub 12fpe wadcutter shooting rifle, it will still take out a few pests!

Created: 11-04-2016 10:20:17 AM
Description: Howa 55g RWS Hobby
Bullet Weight (gr): 11.900
Temp: 77 F
BP: 30.14 inHG
Shots
#     FPS        FT-LBS     PF
5     659        11.48      7.84     
4     653        11.27      7.77     
3     656        11.37      7.81     
2     663        11.62      7.89     
1     725        13.89      8.63     
Average: 671.20
StdDev: 30.30
Min: 653
Max: 725
Spread: 72
True MV: 671.20
Shots/sec: 0.06

Mods planned for it in the future will be the new tube end cap with a foster fitting to bulk fill it from a fire extinguisher, refinish the stock, maybe refinish the metal work as it has the odd scratches and possibly build an over-barrel carbon suppressor for it as its a noisy bugger!

Might do a video at some point to show how it works and I will work on some better pics! MikeyP was the first to get his hands on the rifle and stripped it to replace the seals etc for me, those white hairy legs belong to him!
Airborne Arms Sentinel
Daystate Airwolf
Anschutz 335
Sharp Innova
Sheridan F pistol
Gamo PT85
Gamo Centre
Crosman 600 x2
Anics Skif
S&W  78G
BSA Meteor
Howa 55g
Taiyo Juki Bobcat
Norinco Commando
Baikal IJ38
Daisy 717
Record LP77
Record Jumbo
Crosman Powermatic
Walther PPK
A few custom Crosman 22xx

Offline Mintie

• Mana 28
    • View Profile
Re: Howa 55G .22 Air Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
Took a short video of this today, just to show how it works. Im not great in front of the camera but you get the idea..

As you can see in the video I have also built a Carbon Fiber suppressor for it which has made a huge difference to its back yard friendliness.

https://youtu.be/IUfMKaF3o_4
Airborne Arms Sentinel
Daystate Airwolf
Anschutz 335
Sharp Innova
Sheridan F pistol
Gamo PT85
Gamo Centre
Crosman 600 x2
Anics Skif
S&W  78G
BSA Meteor
Howa 55g
Taiyo Juki Bobcat
Norinco Commando
Baikal IJ38
Daisy 717
Record LP77
Record Jumbo
Crosman Powermatic
Walther PPK

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »
Nice traditional looking rifle. Looks fairly light the way you were handling it.
Oiled wood stock I guess. Watching the trigger it seemed pretty good.
Does CO2 drop off in power as the gas runs out or does it just stop?
Last time I did the sums CO2 using 88 gram gas containers worked out at a bit more expensive than .22 LR.
I don't need another air rifle - I really don't.
That one appeals more than the Gamo or the Umarex.
CO2  no not on for me. Springers get the nod. Nice rifle though.

Offline Mintie

• Mana 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
I recently managed to buy 60 12g co2 bottles for only .60c a piece so its pretty cheap for me to shoot, It tends to hold velocity well for around 20 shots and then drops off pretty quick over the last few shots. I guess that ends up at just over 8c per shot.

You are correct, it is pretty light weight and has a lovely trigger. I am surprised you haven't tried the co2 route, its great fun and has heaps of tuning/fettling options! I have recently bought a lathe and will be making more and more parts for stuff like this.
Airborne Arms Sentinel
Daystate Airwolf
Anschutz 335
Sharp Innova
Sheridan F pistol
Gamo PT85
Gamo Centre
Crosman 600 x2
Anics Skif
S&W  78G
BSA Meteor
Howa 55g
Taiyo Juki Bobcat
Norinco Commando
Baikal IJ38
Daisy 717
Record LP77
Record Jumbo
Crosman Powermatic
Walther PPK

Offline FLUB

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
Nice looking gun. I do like the  way the Japanese engineer airguns. I bought a Sharp Innova as soon as they came out and had John Bowkett modify the valve. Followed that with a Sharp Ace that had many years of successful FT action and I still have it. I bought one of the copy Innovas but the don't shoot anywhere near as well as the original. I need to look out for a Howa now.

Offline Mintie

• Mana 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:58:10 PM »
This one is on trademe Flub, they don't come up often at all and it seems to be the only one for sale online worldwide at the moment. I'm thinking twice about selling it now to be fair, hope nobody bids.
Airborne Arms Sentinel
Daystate Airwolf
Anschutz 335
Sharp Innova
Sheridan F pistol
Gamo PT85
Gamo Centre
Crosman 600 x2
Anics Skif
S&W  78G
BSA Meteor
Howa 55g