Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Marauder PCP Rifle - Not Approved Firearm as shown on the approved firearms list  (Read 1043 times)

Offline unhinged

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
Does it being shown as "Not Approved Firearm" mean that the Marauder PCP Rifle is banned?

http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/advice/firearms/approved-firearms-list-sept2016.xls

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
Lots of airguns

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
This is the first time I have seen or heard of this list.
Looks like administrative porridge to me.
I have not checked the list for accuracy but Lee Enfield appears on the list as Enfield. Either that or Lee Enfield has been omitted because there were Enfield rifles. Garande does not appear.
There don't appear to be any pcp rifles listed. Plenty of those are legally owned and you can import them with a permit. I suppose the omission can happen when you treat something to be what it is not. (Order in Council)
The list appears to be incomplete and not accurate.
Despite publishing a list you still have to apply individually to import a firearm. Maybe licenced firearms dealers do it differently. perhaps a bulk application with serial numbers.

I keep thinking of a PCP as a firearm but it is not and is classed as a specially dangerous airgun for which you need a firearms licence.
Looks like someone should be embarrassed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:32:05 AM by Novagun »

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
A closer look shows that the 1322 and 1377 Crosman pistols are also not approved for import, even though there are hundreds of them on the shelves in stores across the country...

That list is very poorly done.
Lots of airguns

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
It also lists the Hatsan Striker break barrel as a "Refused Firearm" and 6mm airsoft pistols as "Approved Firearm - A Cat"

What a joke.
Lots of airguns

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
After reading that list, I found it confusing for that reason too Mintie.

What about other guns we know seem to be blacklisted. Maybe there's another list?
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile

We are all making the mistake that I made at first.  The list concerns firearms and airguns are not firearms. Even PCPs are not firearms although for administrative purposes they are regarded as such.

PCPs are specially dangerous airguns.

Still the list has omissions.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Just looked up the definition and a pcp is a firearm by legal definition. A specially dangerous airgun is included in the definition of a firearm.
So it is something by definition that it is not.

I would think that a springer of over 1000 fps would be pretty dangerous because they are hard to shoot accurately. Pellet could go astray anytime.

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
Unless I am missing something they no longer publish anything that has not been approved, They only list approved firearms.

Does that mean the P-rod is no longer publicly published as being blacklisted?
Lots of airguns

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
this whole import issuse is getting rediculous when comes to airguns none it making sense any more,must
 be someone at police head quarters with nothing productive to do,so coming up with this nonesense just
 justify being there with there nose in the public taxpayer funded trough,but this what happens when the
 government gives government departments the power the bassically interprate the law to suit there own
 agendas and then enforce those often dodgy legal policys on those who have no say or right to question
 these policys,evan if they legal right to doso,are simply ignored or persecuted for speaking out etc,this
 what digets court case is all about,if we think we got it bad the poor aussies got it worse,if we think we got
 problems dealing with our gun laws and how our police are now interurating them to suit their agenda on
 guns,the aussies got it lot worse and its getting evan worse for them too,they have register every gun
 evan airguns and then justfy why they need them for every purchase now.
 fact is that once bs gun laws come in they never get better,but worse as time goes by and neither aussie
 or us have a constution to garrentee any specific rights,makes it very easy for our government to bring
 in draconoan laws for now legitimate reasons,but simply to suit their own particualer political agendas.
 and it guna get worse at all levels from now on too.
 anyway time get off my soap box.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Looked at catalogues from Ron Young, NZ airguns, the Upper Hutt gun shop and they all have sold out signs for most airpistols and they have been that way for a while.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
that dosnt surprise me,hunting /fishing seems be same and few others to,be all about nz police making
 import permits virtually impossible to get now using their own criteria to determine if it looks like a
 firearm,which is very open to any interrpertian they choose to put on it eh!!the whole thing is of course total BS and very likely dodgy legally but costly to fight them over for an importer,something i am sure
 they count on to,this is same tactics they used before over MSA rifles and got hammered in court over
 so went crying cap in hand to government to have law changed etc which didnt work out as they planned
 either,so they back at it again,which is why diget is taken them to court,it just goes round in ever
 decreasing circles with police over these issuses,til no one wins in the end,not evan police so they go
 back to using dodgy tactics again to acchieve their agenda,but at end the day police got lot leaway on how
 they interpurate the law to suit themselves thats very hard to challenge,coz gov often takes nz polices
 side on issuses regarding any sort of gun,the golden age airguns over in nz now,thats for sure,as 30 years
 of police propaganda thru media has convinced joe public that evan toy guns are dangerous weapons
 and nz police now seem to believe their own BS propaganda too now.this is the end result 30 years of
 this crap by nz police,its not guns get any better either as once these things get going they tend to
 continue as get embeded in police culture as well.
 cheers mike