Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Volvo Round the world race  (Read 494 times)

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Volvo Round the world race
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
The Volvo Round the World race. Just fantastic. The two lead boats after 6000 nautical miles are 19 miles apart and it is still anyones' race. Exhausted crews, hands worn raw, and just one mistake or let up and you lose a place. Those crews need the two week stop over.
I have a friend who is employed to travel to the various ports just to put the sails back on the boats and tune the battons at every stop over. They get taken off and checked and repaired. He is off again on Monday to Capetown. He knows all the crews.
He told me that getting out of the Mediterranean through straits of Gibraltar that the yacht Brunel had to stop and sail backwards 12 times to clear the keel of floating rubbish. One fowling was bad and consisted of a net and a heavy wire strop that did some real damage to the keel. And the plastic.  Every bag that blows off the beach at your picnic is important.

Anyway I have asked my friend to deliver a message to the skipper of Mapfre (Spanish) to get on with it because it is my favourite boat and the skipper is causing me sleep loss. I find myself checking the real time racing placing and the weather in the middle of the night. His favorite is Dongfeng (Chinese) They are the two red coloured boats.
Not addicted at all. I don't check my air guns in the middle of the night.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:32:08 AM by Novagun »

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 38
    • View Profile
Re: Volvo Round the world race
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »
Looks like the A/C is going back to a massive 75' 12 man monohull yet still has foils and uses furling sails.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
MMM. The monohulls will probably have computers to control the foils. Less crew involvement. Let's just hope they are not another 1 hr 30 of boredom like the catamarans were.  These guys on the Volvo 65s are tough blokes and Tuke and Burling are out there taking it with the rest of them.

About 630 miles to go. Keep at it Mapfre, you are looking good, might win but anything can happen.

How will I amuse myself for their two week layover in Capetown.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:13:20 AM »
Mapfre has about 20 miles to go and will win the leg to Capetown. Vamos Mapfre. It's not finished until it's finished.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
Have a look at the Volvo Ocean race. Southern Ocean storm and the two lead boats are having a tacking duel.
They are nervous, I bet, because in those conditions disaster could be a wave away.
Makes the Americas Cup game a bit ho hum.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 04:04:49 PM »
They are at it again. Dongfeng and Mapfre are having a tacking duel in the southern ocean not far above the ice exclusion zone.
Akso Nobel had to refix their mast track sailing at 20 knots just under headsail. They didn't stop racing. The guy up the mast has to be a hero.
A bit sad that they lost ground and are now 300 miles behind.

Vamos Mapfre.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:55:36 PM by Novagun »

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 06:52:56 PM »
This is getting serious. Donfeng is 90 miles behind Mapfre but Donfeng is going faster. Mapfre has turned east for the run into Melbourne. 500 miles to go and still anyone's race. Those sailors are world top class. No sleep for anyone till they finish on Christmas day. Just trim and retrim to get a bit more out of her.
The rest of the fleet will be doing the same, another race within a race.