Username:

Password:

Author Topic: PCP Pistols  (Read 868 times)

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Re: PCP Pistols
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 08:21:27 AM »
Right on Hidayat. I am with you on that.

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
  • Shooting one shot one hole groups at any range...
    • View Profile
    • Howickair facebook page
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 07:12:55 PM »
"I own two Rancheros, one can be sold to non licensed, one cannot be sold to anyone but a FAL holder."

This sentence shows how ridiculous the current practice regarding the condition on pistol import permits is.
However I suspect it is the harbinger of a change to the Arms Act. Especially when one considers the extra powerful PCP pistols that have been produced.

I have heard a completely unsubstantiated rumour that there is a move to ban semi automatic rifles. Whether that means MSSAs only or sporting rifles as well, who knows. The Australians did it.

A move like that could push semi-autos off the grid. I know of one person who is not showing his to the  gun inspector that  inspects FAL storage facilities. This coupled with the practice that they are following of recording the serial numbers of firearms held by people suggests they are going back to a national firearms register. Nothing  wrong with that. Might be too late because the stolen firearms will probably, or almost certainly not be captured.

Lets hope they get the legislation right and we don't have a repeat of the fiasco of the John Banks knee jerk reaction to the Aramoana mass shooting and the ridiculous PCP reaction to the  professional stuff up by the policeman that got shot with the FX PCP.

Yes it is certainly ridiculous but the last thing we should be allowing is people posting up ways to circumvent a request for a FAL from a retailer, won't help us at all even if current law should support our assertions.

The recent bid with semi autos was around reclassifying them so that a 10/22 rifle would need ECat level security...

Good idea for those on Facebook to join Founz and support their lobbying on all shooters behalf

Certainly there has been lots of problems getting import permits to bring any type of air pistol into NZ in recent times (according to Ron at Youngs) one of the few with funds to fight import permit injustice has been Gun City so love em or hate em they are at the forefront of keeping us supplied
H.A.R.C President 2013-2018

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
Yes I would agree that we should not adopt practices that circumvent efforts to control gun availability. On the other hand the Police, I suggest, are overstepping the mark when they introduce a condition that has no foundation in law.
The law quite clearly allows for possession of a PCP pistol without a firearms licence. It is unethical to make people like Ron Young comply with a condition, and he will comply if he has made that commitment to the Police, so that he can carry on his business.

Maybe another order in council would be a better way to proceed but that would be admitting they didn't get it right first time around. Maybe it would be better to base the firearms licence requirement on muzzle energy criteria.

Most of the Arms Act 1983 and amendments serves us very well. It is the later amendments regarding PCPs and MSSAs that rest uneasily. They were ill conceived.

I can concur with the Police in their concern to prevent another Aramoana or worse because worse has happened overseas. So far we do not have a big problem with that sort of behaviour.

The sad part is that legislation quite obviously does not prevent behaviour.