Password:

Author Topic: Forums  (Read 392 times)

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Forums
« on: March 11, 2018, 06:09:33 PM »
I have just had a look at the Kiwi Airgunners forum and it has been pronounced DEAD. Looks like it will close about 16th of this month.
This forum is struggling and maybe it will go the same way.
It is all because we, the airgun shooters don't put the effort into posting here.
It is said that The facebook thing is more convenient to use and I have had a look. Not for me because the whole thing just contains to much drivel and that goes for the airgun part of it as well.
The only alternative is GTA in America. Not bad but there is more social chit chat that doesn't pertain to  airguns and a lot of the airgun posts are more social comments than shooting or air gun mechanics.

And so we go.

Offline magpie

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
Re: Forums
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:01:30 PM »
Not quite dead

Nunga had very kindly paid for another 24 months of hosting
But I am sure you don't need to be told ...  of the forum is not supported the out come next time may well be different
Styer challenger Sightron, rowan and maestro bling
arms FTP900 . For sale
Air arms TX200
Air Arms MPR 400 Precision

Magpie , : I like shinny things :

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:49:54 AM »
Yes Magpie, I got that a little bit wrong. Nunga has paid whatever it is for another two years but the forum is still dead. Only posts are bemoaning the lack of activity.
This cell phone thing is a national disease. Young people wandering about ,head down doing the finger dancing and adults talking and manipulating the phone while driving.
Dangerous stuff. Lack of awareness of the environs.  I wonder how much subliminal advertising finds its way onto facebook. 

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:45:10 PM »
I love the way you can walk through town and look directly at people on their phones immersed in their own bubble. If you disturb them they all have that clambering for awareness expression on their faces as they try and figure out what is happening.
I reckon most of the people walking around town are totally unaware of their surroundings.
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
Nova.... you need go to Parliament n talk to peoples who make law about PCP gun need license to cancelled, that law the one drop people interest about airgunning,drop airgun hobby,drop airgun business.
NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:59:59 PM »
Yes Hidayat, I think the legislation had some effect on PCPs but price also has had an effect as well.
Ron offered me a Daystate about two years ago. $3999.00. It was a fancy gaudy looking thing but far too expensive for what you get when you consider what else is available in the firearm range.

Another thing that crossed my mind is all the rubbish that is getting sold to new comers in the air rifle world.
A chap turned up at the club with a new package Stoeger. Gun and a centre point scope. The trigger is awful and the barrel pivot has some play in it. Shots all over the place.
I wonder how long he will keep at it because the equipment,which was probably attractive because of the price, is just plain inadequate. 
I didn't ask him where he bought it but I can guess.

Offline JS

• Mana 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:27:51 PM »
Yes Hidayat, I think the legislation had some effect on PCPs but price also has had an effect as well.
Ron offered me a Daystate about two years ago. $3999.00. It was a fancy gaudy looking thing but far too expensive for what you get when you consider what else is available in the firearm range.

Another thing that crossed my mind is all the rubbish that is getting sold to new comers in the air rifle world.
A chap turned up at the club with a new package Stoeger. Gun and a centre point scope. The trigger is awful and the barrel pivot has some play in it. Shots all over the place.
I wonder how long he will keep at it because the equipment,which was probably attractive because of the price, is just plain inadequate. 
I didn't ask him where he bought it but I can guess.

We have a lot of similar experiences at the Howick club; someone will turn up with an oversprung gamo that they paid too much for from Gun City that they may be able to hit tin cans at 10m, but have a terrible experience at 25 yards either not getting any sort of grouping or the scope coming loose, and dont come back..
TX200 MKIII .177
Gamo Hunter 440 .22
Feinwerkbau 300s .177
Crosman Mark II

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:08:57 PM »
I remember turning up for the first time with my hatsan striker that I was so proud of. Remember that Nova, at NRC? Then Andrew let me shoot his tuned CRX with a huge wheel thing on the side of it.  I had never heard of Weihrauch, but as I left that night, he said if you get anything, get a Weihrauch. Next gun was a gamo whisper with igt piston. Both these shot heaps of pigeons, and the whisper was actually a good work gun. Light, quiet and I could get 10 mm groups at 20 m with it, but it ate scopes. So then up came a used, but tuned 97k for sale, i cashed in a weeks holiday and got it. The rest is history.

HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
Looks like Kiwiairgunners is down at the moment.

Not all the forums I use have died off like ours, Nz hunting and shooting forum is very active with pages and pages of new content daily. I guess they have a much bigger audience covering all types of hunting and shooting activity across NZ rather than just Airguns.

FB has been a great way of increasing awareness for the hobby and being able to get in front of a large number of people. Our group there has over 1200 active members engaging with it, its a great place to chat about daily airgunning but as others have mentioned its not such a good place to have a build thread or data that you would like to be able to refer back to etc.

I do worry about the history of FB closing firearm related groups down with no notice.
Lots of airguns

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »
The Kiwiairgunners forum never has been very active. That made me wonder why it continued.
It is quite clear that there is a limited number of people in NZ that are interested in serious airgun shooting or maybe it should be enthusiastic airgun shooting and some of those people do not participate in this forum or the other.  There are barely enough contributers for one forum let alone two.
Facebook just doesn't make the cut. I have said all this before.

There is only so much one can talk about regarding a Gamo or a Diana and then one runs out of things to say so new opinions are needed.

The recent revival of activity on this forum results from people doing things and talking about it.  It has spilled over into the rimfire rifles. The forum would be poorer without that series of posts.

The obvious next step would be to include rimfire enthusiasts in this forum. The established rimfire forum, that operated in parallel with this one has crashed. It used to have some interesting stuff posted by enthusiasts. Griffygriff and Bob da Browning used that forum and now occassionally appear here but there were others that had interesting stuff to say.

There is no reason why .22LR shooters should not contribute to this forum but how to get the word out is one thing and to enlarge participation is another that is beyond me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:02:36 AM by Novagun »