Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Changing hands  (Read 635 times)

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Changing hands
« on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »
After a lifetime of shooting left handed, even though I am right eye dominant, I decided to give shooting a go using the right hand side. The neck and shoulders are being asked to take up positions that they have never been in before. No pain yet but it is really awkward. Eye and trigger finger co-ordination is having its own difficulty and I am certain someone bent my rifle over night. I tried a few off hand shots. Luckily no-one was watching because the barrel was pretty wavy.
So far groups of about 1 1/4 inches at twelve yards and the odd bad flier. The good part is that the scope picture is nice and clear.
It all started when I read an article in a South African shooting magazine where a retired policeman talked about the lifesaving advantages of being able to shoot with either hand. Not that I will ever be in that sort of bind.

Perseverance: that is what I need.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Re: Changing hands
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »
Good on you, that's a good project to tackle.
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »
Left handed people is very rare bred  ;D
NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:56:49 AM »
You are right Hidayat. Left handers are special people.
Anyway the project is coming on. Getting comfortable using my right side but it is like learning to shoot all over again.
Still a bit of time and a lot of practice to go.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:22:32 PM »
Make sure youvegot the gun pointing the right way.

HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:12:49 AM »
good luck mate,had left handed hunting mate who used a right handed rifle for years,his wife had me buy
 him a left hand rifle,he couldnt get the hang of it,n asked me to change it back for right handed rifle lol
 all in the mind eh!!mind gets programed to do things certain way,n some just cant change that ,just the
 way it is i guess,prob all comes down to how much you want change,some can some cant or dont want
 put the effort required in all probablity,you will do it if you really want to mate,but must be strange to
 start with thats for sure.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
I am sure you are right Dvinme.  So far my results at 12 yards are unsatisfactory and at 25 yds just awful.
Have had to change the scope eye relief and sighting to accommodate the change of sides. Sometimes I think it is time to throw the whole lot away but still end up having another try.
Keep at it.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
i tryed shooting pistol targets few years ago with my left hand after eye operation,never did figure it out
 trouble is your brain gets programed to do things a certain way,n bloody hard to change your brain eh!!
 tryed shooting rifles with my left hand n just couldnt do it eh.my youngest son right handed n lost  use
 right arm due car crash wen he was 18,taught himself to do everything with left arm brillently,but i
 guess that bit different coz he had no choice but to eh!!
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
Well I persevered with shooting right handed. It took a bit of time but I got as good as I ever will at it. I shot like that for couple of months and it was a lot better than not shooting at all.
Then I got my left eye fixed and went back to left hand. I like it much better and comfort and accuracy is better. I can always go back to right handed if I want to .

It makes a difference being able to see the target clearly and use of life time traits of LHS. But a rifle set up for RH shooting is way out for LH shooting.