Password:

Author Topic: Red dot  (Read 380 times)

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -8
    • View Profile
Red dot
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
I bought a UTG red dot sight at a closing down sale. I got it at half price. When it arrived I found it was set up for a 20 mm dovetail. The cost of an adapter to 11 mms was $15.00. Freight and purchases left little change out of $80.00.
The sight is well made and tidy as one would expect from UTG. It is compact and light ,sufficiently so to be noticeable when compared with a scope mounted on a rifle. The sighting in is the same as for a scope with the same sort of turrets but one extra for turning the illuminated dot on. Two colours, red or green.
I have fired about 20 pellets using it and it is very much in the league of open sights. The dot is quite large and can obscure a target so the dot needs to be sitting just below what you are aiming for. Because of its size it is very easy to see. There is no magnification from the lenses that must be plain glass but what you see is pretty clear. Not as good a field of view as a 40 mm scope and generally not as handy as a reasonable scope.

Was it worth the money; maybe. At least I know how good they are and it is a bit of novelty. There may be some people who have some disability where the red dot would be good. It will be very good for tin can shooting and probably good for the odd rabbit if I get the chance again.

Would it have been worth the full price of about $120.00 for the sight and another $18.50 purchase and freight for the dovetail adaptor.  Not for $138 of my money.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:47:07 PM by Novagun »

Offline FLUB

• Mana -2
    • View Profile
Re: Red dot
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:26 PM »
Try using it with both eyes open rather than looking through it. This is how they are intended to be used and so give a full field of view.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:04:31 PM »
I have one on my zoraki pistol. My eyes aren't the best with iron sights, so i find it works well. Mainly used for the odd pigeon caught in a shop or just plinking, but for me much easier to just hold the dot on target. Sometimes I get a slight double image of the dot, but pretty sure that's my eyes fault.

HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »
Works very well using it both eyes open. You can see more that way as long as you shoot using the dominant eye. Zero magnification is not enough but if it had any magnification it wouldn't be a red dot.
Certainly does every thing it is meant to do so I am very pleased with it.

Offline GriffyGriff

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »
Works very well using it both eyes open. You can see more that way as long as you shoot using the dominant eye. Zero magnification is not enough but if it had any magnification it wouldn't be a red dot.
Certainly does every thing it is meant to do so I am very pleased with it.

Has anyone tried and got anything good to say about the red dot magnifiers that can be attached behind the red dot?  Obviously not for pistol though