Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Gas ram and steel spring  (Read 183 times)

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Gas ram and steel spring
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Gas rams pros and cons.
1.   They are more expensive to buy and more expensive to replace than a steel spring in the event of failure.  They are pretty robust and long lasting but like all things mechanical they can and do fail.
2.   When of equal power a gas ram is harder to cock because the cocking force is constant through the swing of the cocking lever. A spring has a progressive load the enable a swing that makes it easier, using momentum.  Most of the time this is not a problem but in competition when a number of shots are to be fired with a time limit the extra or different effort causes the heart rate to increase with a corresponding reduction in accuracy. There is no time to let the heart settle.
3.   The power you get from a ram is what it is and except with Hatsans and Theobens you canít alter the power to suit yourself like you can with a steel spring. Sometimes this can be important for accuracy.
4.   The discharge of a ram is a snap that produces a sharp recoil. There is less piston bounce and no moment of torque like there is when a discharging spring unwinds. The recoil is sharper than a steel spring with a sharper displacement of the rifle. The steel spring discharge can be made gentle and more pleasant to shoot.
5.   The noise of a ram is fixed whereas the noise and smoothness of a spring can be made good with good spring guide and sleeves.
6.   Accuracy should be the same with each power plant but I find it better with a spring because of the reasons mentioned.
7.   A nicely tuned steel spring rifle is just more pleasant to shoot. Power being equal.

Take your pick.

PS. I just read about a shooter claiming to shoot a pidgeon at 105 yards with a Gamo IGT magnum. I suppose even I could fluke it once in a lifetime.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:59:33 PM by Novagun »

Offline Myson

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gas ram and steel spring
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
I just added to my collection with the Diana 340 Ntec gas ram .177 - a lovely accurate air rifle that provides one more "pro" for the hunter.....

As with all gas rams, you can carry them cocked all day and there's no strain on the spring - because there is no spring!

A real plus if you're stalking the fields and bush..... no more having to break barrel / load before getting your sights on your target! And I like the quieter "phut" on firing, instead of the "twang" of the Springer.

Love my new Diana!  ;D

Air Arms S410 SL Classic .22
Air Arms S510 Ultimate Sporter .22
Air Arms TX200 Mkiii .177
Diana 340 Ntec Gas Ram .177

We are not Human Beings having a spiritual experience - we are Spiritual Beings having a human experience!

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
Without doubt the Diana 34 Ntec is good. I fired one at Ron Youngs. Not for me though. I shot the 350 N Tec as well and definitely not for me.

Be interesting to hear a full review when you get time and especially the claim 1100 fps.  What does the .177 shoot in real life?

PS. You can leave a springer cocked for reasonable time without any harm. Carrying a cocked and loaded gun for any time doesn't sit well with me. Safety catches are not infallible. Easy to turn them off unknowingly.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:05:51 PM by Novagun »

Offline Myson

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have a chrono but I can tell you this:

I'm zeroed at 50yds (I like long range shooting) with AA Diabolo Field 8.44gr (4.51 head size) pellets. At 50yds these pellets are going clean through 11mm ply, with nice neat holes through the paper targets. Similarly with water filled shampoo bottles!

Using the artillery hold (with a particular pressure on the thumb placement) and supported by a beanbag, I'm getting sub-1" groups of 5 pellets at 50yds. As good as my AA TX200!

It's a smooth operator! And if you're an open sight person, the ones on the 340 Ntec are superb! Crisp and sharp....

This might be heresy (!) but I'm starting to like shooting this sweet machine better than my TX200!

Did I say that?  ;D

We are not Human Beings having a spiritual experience - we are Spiritual Beings having a human experience!

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »
That's a good sounding group. Satisfying with a springer/gas ram for sure.
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 12:58:12 PM »
Looks like you have a powerful gun that suits you. FT with open sights. That might show them a thing or two.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
It would be great to see open sights on a field target range. If you want to, let me know.
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Myson

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »
Yeah! When I first got the 340 Ntec I tried the Open Sights for 2-3 weeks before mounting my Hawke Scope. It was so much fun as I hadn't shot with iron sights for 50 years! I almost decided to stay with them (!) but longer range shooting obviously requires a good scope - I use x16 magnification a lot - so I've now mounted my scope instead.

Could be a good idea to have some Open Sight competitions though!  ;D

And this Diana would certainly do well in such an environment I'm sure. The covered foresight is actually pointed and it fits superbly in the rear "U" sight when taking aim. It's also interchangeable with a variety of foresights but I found the one fitted on the rifle was perfect for my eye.

I did have to Loctite the two little screws on the "U" sight block though - they worked loose after about 100 shots.

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 03:20:50 PM »
I had my first gas ram rifle delivered last week, Its a .177 Hatsan 125 Sniper Vortex. I put 130 odd shots through it today to chrony test some of my pellet selection and now have a sore arm from the cocking pressure! Its long (doesnt even fit in my safe!), heavy and hard to cock but its pretty powerful and has some nice adjust-ability to the trigger, LOP and cheek height. This particular one comes from a batch of potentially faulty gas rams so I might end up having to replace it with another ram or maybe a spring.

Who can guess;
Which pellet was the fastest? and what speed it got?
Which pellet was the most consistent?
Which pellet produced the most energy?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:28:50 PM by Mintie »
Airborne Arms Sentinel
Anschutz 335
Sharp Innova
Gamo PT85
Crosman 600 x2
Anics Skif
S&W  78G
BSA Meteor x 2
Taiyo Juki Bobcat
Baikal IJ38
Daisy 717
Record Jumbo
Crosman Powermatic
Walther PPK
A few custom Crosman 22xx
Diana Mod 16
Edgun R3m Long .22 - Boris
Gamo P23
Hubert - A custom sody rifle

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »
Are we gonna see results of pellets and accuracy, even a Mintie review in the pipeline?
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22