Username:

Password:

Author Topic: the legal requirments for owning a pcp pistol  (Read 311 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
the legal requirments for owning a pcp pistol
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
Been thinking on this one for some time,it seems nz police now require dealers to sight a firearms licence
 before selling a pcp pistol,and there has been some discussion on this requirment n how it affects the
 future sale of that pistol.
 fact is there is under present laws no requirment to have a firearms licence to possess a pcp pistol,so therefore ant pcp pistol can be sold by anyone to anyone over 18 without a licence legally.no matter if a
 dealer did require a licence be produced for origional purchase,as pcp pistols are not registered like
 firearms pistols,it can then be transferred to anyone over 18 legally without the possiblity of being
 prosecuted,if it went to court nz police would lose the case,as there is no legal bassis for the prosecution
 in first instance,i personally would let them try this one out on me,certain i would win,as no crime has
 been committed in first place,therefore i cant be prosecuted under the firearms laws as they stand at
 present.i have no hesitation in selling any pcp pistol to someone 18 or over under the current law.
 This is just another bullying tactic being used to enforce a law that dosnt exist by nz police today.
 While i do believe the law on pcp pistols will evantually change,facts are they havnt at present.
 cheers mike

Offline Vault

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Re: the legal requirments for owning a pcp pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »
I totally agree.
Pro Sport
Hawke 8-32*56
Maxtoch M24 Sniper U3 LED

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
  • Shooting one shot one hole groups at any range...
    • View Profile
    • Howickair facebook page
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »
Police have the upper hand when bullying especially when dealers etc are reliant on police for the issue of import permits, many of which are being declined in a covert attempt to limit supply
Air Arms Alfa pistol is one such example, not a replica but a true target pistol, permit declined and few companies can afford the time and cost of fighting such decisions in a legal battle...
H.A.R.C President 2013-2018

Offline Vault

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »
The NZ Police are a Criminal Corporation.
They have more members in prison in this country than Hells Angels.

Pro Sport
Hawke 8-32*56
Maxtoch M24 Sniper U3 LED

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:24:37 PM »
You are right Divinme as the law stands at the moment. The law relating to firearms is going to change but from what I can see it relates to storage of firearms and the specifications for arms cabinets or safes. Also a change in the obtaining of a firearms licence. The new requirements seem deliberately complicated.
There may be some other legislative delights slipped in with the things that are being discussed openly but I don't know what they will be.
Maybe dealers are happy with the requirement to sight a firearms licence before selling a pcp pistol but I see sold out signs on some of the airpistols usually available from dealers. That must affect turnover in the shop.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:27:34 PM by Novagun »

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »
Just keep shoting and have fun with air pistol no matter what caliber, don't worry about the law too much,if the law change ask Vault for advise  ;)
NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
this one needs someone to take it to the high court as was done over mas rifles to make police comply
 with the law and not try to make the law up to suit themselves as they also tried with mssa rifles but i
 doubt that will ever happen eh, i  personally have no issues in selling any pcp pistol to anyone i know
 over 18 if i consider them to be suitable,as its not illegal to do so, doesn't matter if dealer requires to sight
firearms licence if that's a condition for getting an import permit to that dealer,but once sold there is no legal requirement for that original purchaser to ask for a firearms licence as one isn't required under the
 current law,
 i don't really know what the police issue is over airguns,but suspect they have grown to believe their
 own bs propaganda over airguns since the officer was killed by some idiot with an airgun,and just coz
 they haven't taught their officers to have enough brains to realise soft airguns are not real firearms etc
 just coz they may look like one,nz police know perfectly well there simply are not large numbers of
 illegal handguns out there that the only supply of glock pistols floating around are the approx 60 they
 have by sheer negligence somehow misplaced.

You right about putting the frighteners up certain people nova,my local ao pops in from time to time,for a
 coffee he says,but even tho we been friends for 30 years,i know hes checking up on me,local cops know exactly what i am capable of making,i been repairing modifying n building firearms for 40 years mate,been commercial bullet n ammo maker,held dealers licence for 30 years until 10 years ago,they been checking up on me ever since eh!fact is n they know it too,is i could've made 3/4 perfectly good 22/38 revolvers in time i have put into the pcp revolver,building firearms isn't rocket science eh!i can do so very easily without any plans n done so many times when had dealers lic,
as has been said, they cant stop anyone building pcp airguns any more than they can stop any one
building firearms, only diff is its legal for anyone over 18 to build pcp pistols without a dealers lic as long
not doing it as business, same rules apply. anyone with a cat lic can legally build rifles either firearms or pcp airguns as long as it's not a business.
As i told my ao, would you prefer i built illegal firearms, coz you would never know if i did so eh!
there many others just like me with the ability to build all sorts firearms out there n many lot better at it than i am too.
trouble is nz police tend to look at all types of guns as weapons, when most who own n use guns don't
own them as weapons, you would think they would be happy with us building hunting type airguns rather than firearms, but apparently not because they scared soft airguns just as much as real guns, go figure that one eh!!

cheers mike
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:11:05 AM by Wingman »

Offline Akzle

• Mana 9
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
I believe it's part of a much larger agenda.

An unarmed populace is easy to maintain control of.

If people cannot hunt for food, they are then beholden to "them" who supply "food" (nutrient defecit, GM, crap - enough to subsist on, not enough to thrive or be strong enough to mount resistance, also increasing demand for pharmaceutical / artificial vitamins-minerals etc)

As we know, an air rifle is enough to kill a man (regardless of what colour his gang vest is).

The import regulations changed some years ago. I either mentioned it here or on the old forums. I didn't notice anyone rioting then. Apathy will win the day.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »
i agree  absulutly with you akzle on this one,have been around long enuf to have gone thru all firearms law
 changes brought in over past 50yrs,except for the origional version of current laws in 1980s,its been
 downhill ever since,now having got to the stage its bloody rediculus when they banning toys like soft
 airguns just coz nz police think they look dangerous,i believe pcp pistols will soon go the same way as
 pcp rifles be brought in under the firearms act in same way firearms are,if that happens n i believe it will
 this would them put pcp air pistols in same class as simialler firearms,effectivly making pcp pistols
 restricted weapons and then be put on b/c/d cat licences,the facts are nz law all about controlling access
 to concealable weapons,hence the 762mm length rule,contery to what some think the dictonary defination
 of a pistol has very little or nothing to do with what our nz law defines as a concealable weapon  or pistol
 doesnt matter in our law if gun can be used with one hand or requires two hands it just comes down to
 being any firearm under 762 mm in length being a concealable weapon in eyes of the law,and includes all
 firearms and would allso include pcp pistols if they come under same laws as firearms as well.
 facts are nz police now consider all pcp airguns as potentual weapons and in the end this will be the
 deciding factor in future regs on pcp pistols,and to think otherwise would be stupid.
 so may as well enjoy them while the sun still shining coz cloudy n rainy days they are a comming for sure
 we can kick this suject around for years but at end the day nothing we think or say will change wot they
 decide to do,so bit like kicking a dead horse eh!!no bloody point coz its dead n aint getting up no how
 hard n long you kick it eh!!so dead subject to me now coz makes my head hurt.
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 9
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »
so may as well enjoy them while the sun still shining coz cloudy n rainy days they are a comming for sure
 we can kick this suject around for years but at end the day nothing we think or say will change wot they
 decide to do,

nothing we think or say, maybe.

...but put a few of them up against the wall, and start the revolution... ;D