Username:

Password:

Author Topic: PCP pistol build challenge.  (Read 3858 times)

Offline mikey-p

• Mana 8
    • View Profile
Re: PCP pistol build challenge.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »
Canít be bothered loading pics onto photobucket right now.. (I work yíknow)

Maybe later this weekend...

Mintie can just photoshop a co2 bottle onto a 2250 and call it done...

Meanwhile Iím doing a scratch build (including trigger)
None of your business!
Am I being detained?

Offline Mintie

• Mana 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
I'm done
Lots of airguns

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 06:01:50 PM »
That would be 50 cc, not cal.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
50cc is minties nirvana...  It really brings out his manly side.. 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:51:11 PM by Wingman »

Offline xyon

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »
I would quite like to build a PCP pistol. I have a lathe and a Ducati in the garage. But alas no milling machine.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:49 AM »
Welcome... No need for a mill.. just a drill and some files will do everything you need.
Ill make a round breech for my .22 pistol in the lathe to show you how..
The slots needed for the cocking pin etc can be chain drilled and then finished with a dremel or a file
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:05:02 AM by Wingman »

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
I would definitely give it a go if that's all I need. But I think I would need guidelines to make sure i'm not building a time bomb.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
i have build quite few scratch built firearms with little more than drill press,hacksaw n files over the years
 phil right its the man behind the tools not so much the tools that count,go on line n see how they build
 colt 1911 45acp pistols in phillipines with nothing more than hand tools that are bassically inditingishable
 from factory made gun n you will see wot can be done with hand tools.phil has seen tiny little 22lr rimfire
 side by side double rifle i made allmost completly with hand tools 20 years ago before i had machineshop.
 i am quite happy to do machine work for anyone who needs it,no charge just pay courier n materials etc.
 i can make complete pistol grips/rotary mag discs/fully adjustable target sights to fit any type breech and
 pretty much anything else if helps anyone out.
 would be awesume f we can get small group guys building good pcp/co2 airguns in nz,building guns of
 any sort not really rocket science and is something most can learn how to do easly enuf with bit patience
 and is a great hobby for sure,like many others i build guns coz love doing so and coz i can.
 building your own guns takes shooting to whole new level,something pretty cool bout shooting n hunting
 with guns you have made yourself,that no one else has anything like them.
 its not illegal to build any type of gun as long as you have appropreate lic to own that type of gun n not
 doing so as a busseness.
 the dodgy import bans being enforced dont change that either,facts are building pcp airguns is now a
 viable option n maybe the only way soon to get the type pcp airgun you want too,if i renewed my dealers
 lic i can then legally build n sell any gun i make as long as it has a serial number.
 i see the import ban as being an oppurtunity not entirely a negitive thing,if it gets a small airgun building
 community up n running in nz,bassically forces us to get off our arses n do something about the
 situation to help ourselves,thats a good thing.
 as long as everyone complys with the law there is nothing anyone can do bout it either.
 tho i have been reparing/ modifying and occassionally building varios types firearms for allmost 40 years
 but am new to building pcp airguns,so have lot to learn bout how to build this type airguns and this
 thread will certainly help me get better at doing so as it will others too,so this is a good thing for every
 one,so i hope everyone gets right into this and gets others interested in doing so to.
 i am no expert on pcp airguns,but i am a pretty good machinist and prepared to help others if i can as
 will others too i am sure,phil one the best pcp guys i have heard of with lot respect in the international
 airgun community,so good man to pick his brains eh and if hes on board on this i am sure good things
 will come out of it,just my two bobs worth!!
 cheers mike

Offline xyon

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 10:51:09 PM »
Hi Guys,

My ideal PCP pistol would be.....

1. Accurate :-)
2. .22
3.  At least 12 fpe for rabbit hunting, my guess is much higher  would need long barrel and/or reduce shot count
4. Have a fully shrouded barrel silencer.
5. 2 stage trigger.
6. Timber grip
7. Multi shot magazine would be nice.
8. Reg would be nice too, but I was thinking I would save that for my second build :-) when I know what the hell I'm doing, or if I made the air cylinder the same internal dia as some production rifle, then I could fit an off the shelf reg. later.

I know the basic theory of operation and can do the maths (or use the engineering toolbox web site) to calculate cylinder pressure rating, etc but I have no practical experience with designing a pcp or co2 gun, so I might need some help from Wingman with the transfer port size, hammer weight, spring rate and best material for air cylinder etc.

My thought was that I would have a hard time with the breech block, so your offer of help would be awesome Mike. The other way I could go would be to get a crosman steel breech or even a whole 2240 as a starting point.

The other thing I need is more time  ::)

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 11:06:20 PM »
I think you have echo'd the thoughts of many of us. Especially the best materials for key parts.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 07:28:25 PM »
hi guys am just curious as this is to be a pstol/hand build challenge,what most consider to be a pistol/
 handgun,i raise this question because most commercially made so called pistols like prod/ranchero and
 many others are short carbine versions of certain bolt n sidelever rifles minus their buffstocks which makes
 them just sawn off rifles,not pistols,therefore it seems to me that to many airgunners that any version/
 cut down or not but minus a buttstock is then considered to be a pistol,going on what i see on some
 forums and utube this seems to be the case with many airgunners,just wondered if this is the case in nz??
 i have a very different opinion on this issuse,while i have no problems with bolt n sidelever pistols as such
 as these are generally hunting guns,so the action type dosnt really matter as there is no requirment for
 rapid fire capablity with a hunting pistol.so am interested in what others think on this one.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
Well the Arms Act describes a pistol as a firearm that is designed or adapted to be held and fired in one hand and also includes any firearm less that 762 mms long. That captures the sawn off rifles. That applies only to fireams that burn powder and is a special legal definition.

An air pistol relies for its description on the dictionary definiton, a small firearm designed to be held and fired in one hand. You run into murk there because an air pistol is not a firearm.
When you look at the Ranchero and the pump Crosmans, they have a forestock that provides a hand grip or rest for the forehand while firing. As you say, like a cut off rifle. A revolver or small semi automatic pistol does not have this feature.

When you see pistol shooters shooting they often use to hands to hold and steady the pistol but both hands holding the one hand grip.

Now the Edgun Leishy is a small light PCP that could be held and fired in one hand but it is not designed to do so and is therefore not a pistol. The Ranchero could have a buttstock fitted so that is designed to be
fired using two hands and a shoulder. If the buttstock was removeable then it could be a rifle or a pistol and  need or not need a firearms licence depending on how it was set up at the time.

What about a PCP pistol without a foregrip that has a temporary buttstock added. as long as the buttstock is fitted because it is designed the be fired using more than just one hand, that would become a rifle because it is designed to be held and fired with more than one hand.

I hope you read this Dvinme because it is just waffle.
As Hidayat the Hunter has said, "Nothing impossible."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:19:14 AM by Novagun »

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 08:13:58 AM »
was just wafflin too mate,was just currious bout what others thought was a pistol!i couldnt care less what
 sort guns others build as long as i spinns their wheels is fine with me,as long they building guns.
 wasnt conerned bout legal definitions regarding pcp pistols as they not lic required yet.but would be very
 carefull fitting buttstock to a prod if didnt have a lic,as could potentually qualify as a sawn off rifle if under
 762mm eh!!n pcp rifles require a lic eh.as you said law bit murky,so potentually a pcp carbine thats under
 762mm isnt a rifle either as law stands so techically dosnt require lic eh!!but wouldnt want to push that
 one too far the way the police attitude seems to be regarding pcps at moment,same as i wouldnt with a
 short bullpup either,tho technically they dont become rifles unless over 762mm either,putting that into
 context,any pcp airgun under this length then is legally defined as pistol and pcp pistols dont require a
 lic ,as you say murky eh!!until there is a law change or court case to legally define what a pcp rifle or
 pistol is under the law it will remain so too.just some more waffle eh!!
 cheers mike

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2018, 11:27:41 AM »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:41:09 PM by Wingman »

Offline Mintie

• Mana 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
Whoa!

How does this work? Valve is on the hammer side of the mag but the air tube is on the muzzle end?
Lots of airguns