Username:

Password:

Author Topic: LED Spotlight vs HID spotlight  (Read 273 times)

Offline deaks

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
LED Spotlight vs HID spotlight
« on: July 31, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
I got a new Spotlight (H&F)  and last night we went for a Walk to see what was around on the block I have assess to up Wairau Valley. The light is a 3500 LED which was OK  but would the HID better, as the was no RED eye to pinpoint the game. Plus at longer range it was harder to see the game of any type.
What do you guys find works best.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Re: LED Spotlight vs HID spotlight
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 11:30:20 AM »
Have a look in the review section page 2. There are comments there about the Yukon Pulsar night scope.
The latest models may be even better.
The down side is that the one we looked at was a bit expensive, maybe $900 but there might be less expensive ones available.

Offline Akzle

• Mana 10
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »
I find LED a PITA. Much prefer the old halogens. never shot over an HID.
Still can light up the eyes with LED but I think it's a lot less refractive (?) so you need to be on the right angle. It also (to my blind ass at least) gives less depth, the bush/paddock will look kinda 2D or "flat"

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »
I totally agree Akzle, I have tried LEDs in the past and find they dont have the same success rate as my trusty ol 100w 12v halogen spotty. I think in some cases the brighter white light of leds have the critters looking away or spook quicker.. I run a small gun mounted LED Ultrafire torch for close or finishing shots but all my spotting is done with the trusty old halogen now.

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:18:46 AM »
I've used LED now for the last 6 years or so, I found it best for spotting eyes to use a really wide flood beam and on very low power, too bright and you just dont seem to pick up the eye shine as well. I use an old Led lenser head mounted torch for that and then once I have spotted them I turn on a scope mounted fine spot LED to shoot with.
Lots of airguns

Offline Akzle

• Mana 10
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
I totally agree Akzle, I have tried LEDs in the past and find they dont have the same success rate as my trusty ol 100w 12v halogen spotty. I think in some cases the brighter white light of leds have the critters looking away or spook quicker.. I run a small gun mounted LED Ultrafire torch for close or finishing shots but all my spotting is done with the trusty old halogen now.

ahhh. the cemtral north island wallaby!

I've actually seen the reverse, LED lamped a cat and I wonder if it even knew it was in the light. I certaimly see less possums though, but that's possibly as much my eyes deteriorating

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
ahhh. the central north island wallaby!

But that's possibly as much my eyes deteriorating

Im convinced it is... those central north wallabies are although large, are common maize eating hares

Offline deaks

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
I found the green eye reflection all  with LED verse red and green reflection HID off putting. I toke it back and now have a LightForce spot light.... And thermal sight are on the plan but will have to wait till after Baby is born lol as normal

Offline SteveH

• Mana 16
  • Shooting one shot one hole groups at any range...
    • View Profile
    • Howickair facebook page
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:48:04 PM »
I've used LED now for the last 6 years or so, I found it best for spotting eyes to use a really wide flood beam and on very low power, too bright and you just dont seem to pick up the eye shine as well. I use an old Led lenser head mounted torch for that and then once I have spotted them I turn on a scope mounted fine spot LED to shoot with.

I'm in agreement, mainly use a lower powered wide beam headlamp for visibility and spotting while walking then dial up the gun mounted unit to take a shot, easier to manage battery life too
H.A.R.C President 2013-2018