Username:

Password:

Author Topic: New user advice  (Read 322 times)

Offline mojo2

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
New user advice
« on: August 01, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
Hey... Michael here from Auckland

Hi looking to get a decent airgun for round the $350 mark, I have little experience in airguns although I have owned some basic models in the past, I have a vintage Norico MOD 61 that I got from my dad. I want to use for target shooting mainly and don't want the effort of a licence so break barrel is the way to go.

Was thinking Ruger Blackhawk that's on special at the moment or Stoeger F40 with the under barrel cocking lever. don't mind going second hand if any of you have suggestions I will appreciate the help. btw if $350 is not going to cut it I can wait to get more.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Re: New user advice
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »
Hi Michael,

You should check out one of the air rifle clubs in Auckland. There's North Harbour and Howick. You could go to one of their shoots and I'm sure you will get to try a couple of guns to see what you like.

I think the type of advice will be to spend just a little bit more and you will get a really good gun. Weihrauch, Air arms , Cometa, to name a few. Be wary of over spending on a brand new Gamo.  Typically underlever are more accurate than break barrel, but that doesn't mean break barrels aren't accurate either.

Go have a look at Youngs Airguns. Something every airgunners should do.
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Akzle

• Mana 9
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
Well, Pauly's done it.
/thread

:D

The old norinca coud be tuned to be quite accurate by someone who knows what they're doing.
When you say "target" do you mean bottle caps at 50yds, or roundels at 10?

Second hand will probably do you much better as slug guns usually "shoot in" rather than get shot out like powder burners.

Second a trip to youngs, and air gun clubs.

Offline JS

• Mana 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
1) Go to youngs airguns.
2) for your budget I would go for a second hand cometa Fusion or Fenix. They have great triggers and the build quality is above that of Gamo, Crosman, Benjamin, Stoeger etc. They are very accurate and can be picked up as a scoped package for around $300-$350 on Trademe.
3) If you can wait, then go to one of the clubs - Howick is shooting tonight from 7pm; a lot of different rifles to have a  look at the guys will gladly share their thoughts.
TX200 MKIII .177
Gamo Hunter 440 .22
Feinwerkbau 300s .177
Crosman Mark II

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
We all say go to Youngs airguns and have a look. He might have some second hand guns that are not advertised on his monthly catalogue. He also has a short indoor range where you can at least try the trigger. He is one of the airgun salesmen that knows his product and what he is talking about.  A lot don't.

A break barrel is as accurate as anything but make sure the barrel pivot has no wobble when it is closed.
Even some new ones have play and they will never shoot well. The single most important thing is the trigger.
You need a moderately light crisp trigger on firing. A hard harsh trigger with creep will never shoot nicely.

Warning. Don't buy a Webley Rebel no matter how cheap.

Steer clear of Gamo unless you want to do a lot of rebuilding. The triggers are bad and they are oversprung and the cheap Gamos are rubbish. Take no notice of the advertising nonsence, 1000 fps or 1600 fps is far too fast to shoot a pellet. Your top speed should be 850 to 920 maximum and much less can be very accurate. Very powerful air rifles are very hard to shoot accurately and often objectionable to shoot.

Remember this. Accuracy is a relative term. A gun that will shoot tin cans off a fence all day at 15 metres is accurate. The same gun may not shoot a 15 mm group at 25 metres. If you want to do that or better then you need a different gun. It will take you a fair bit of shooting to become proficient as there is a lot to learn.

Welcome; and there is no such thing as a dumb question on this forum so keep asking. That is how we all learnt. That and experiment and practice, practice -------.

Lastly, look after whatever you buy because learning to do that properly is just preparation for your next gun. If it is your thing then you will find out what happens. 

Offline mojo2

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
Thank you for all the replies i will visit Youngs asap. Is any of you see a good used for sale please let me know

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
Was in at Youngs yesterday, He had a very nice looking used Diana on the wall with a scope for under $300 I think! Always plenty to drool over in there.
Lots of airguns

Offline Akzle

• Mana 9
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 04:38:37 PM »
And I was in there today.... the only second hand .22 he had was wearing plastic - yuck.

A few things tickled my fancy on the back wall, that scoped Diana was pretty good value, 600fps too. Couple of old/modded crosmans, maybe mintie specials :P ?

Ron will put you right, go in, tell him your budget and what you're after and he'll sort you out. In the 30 or 40 years he's been there I've never heard a bad word against him.

Offline mojo2

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
Whats the feeling on a Diana 280, can get for $380 no scope

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »
You better get in buy that 280 before I find out where it is.
Airgandi gave them a very good review. He is a German no nonsense reviewer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:31:43 AM by Novagun »

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »
I have a scope I'm looking to sell. Hawke Vantage 6 - 24 x 50 AO Mil dot Centre IR and pretty sure ive got mounts to go with it.
Pm me if you're interested.
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline mojo2

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
Hi

Thank you for all the advice, I took the Diana 280 and got it for a great price from young's. they were very helpful it was either a crosman with a scope or the Diana but for me I just thought the Diana is going to take me further if I really get obsessed with the hobby.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
You will be very pleased with that 280. If it has the TO5 trigger you can make it considerably lighter because they tend to be heavy. TO6 is adjustable. Anyway don't worry about that or a scope at the moment. Iron sights are fine but you will get a scope soon enough. Just shoot it and shoot it and shoot it some more. I would try H&N Field target Trophy or JSB. Ron sells the JSB as AirArms. I suppose he sorted you out on that.
It won't be a powerhouse air rifle; you don't need that but it will be something worth having.
I am pleased you didn't buy a Crosman.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
Mojo2. How is that Diana 280 performing. If you have the time please write an essay on what you think of it?