Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Air pistol capable of shooting chicken in head point blank  (Read 330 times)

Offline manymules

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
Air pistol capable of shooting chicken in head point blank
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
Hi. I'm a complete novice and need your combined knowledge.

To date, my husband and I cull our chickens by my holding a calm chicken standing on an outside table, and my husband lines up his .177 air rifle (1300 fps) to the back of the chookens head and fires. I calmly hold the chook's wings to his or her side to control the flapping. I always prefer that my husband fires a second shot to absolutely ensure the chicken doesn't regain consciousness. It's a system that works well.

I realize that most people prefer to axe off a chook's head, or use a broom to break the neck, or slit the throat and allow to bleed out. I looked into these options some years ago and still don't feel that these options are as clean and fast, and most importantly to me, FEAR FREE, as a quick bullet. We get (1) instant loss of consciousness, and (2) blood loss  sufficient to kill before consciousness can be regained. Most important to me is "instant loss of consciousness with No Fear from the chicken".

So, where I need you all is to help me find an air PISTOL that will be able to achieve the same thing. My husband is considerably older (he is the one with firearms experience), and one day he will not be around to help me cull our numerous chickens as and when they get old, sick, or injured.

Can you please list the  specifications that I would need from an air PISTOL that would still achieve the same outcome - instant loss of consciousness when shooting a chicken in the back of the head, with enough damage done to prevent it from regaining consciousness. (I would not feel confident about a single shot pistol, as I would not be able to reload like my husband currently does).

What would be very useful is if you can also attach a link, or recommend a pistol, so I can look further into it.

I ask that you not suggest that I use other techniques to cull my chooks. That isn't an option for me. Personal choice and all that. I'm comfortable putting an animal to sleep when necessary, but feel that other techniques have elements of FEAR, and/or delay of unconsciousness. Thank you for respecting my choice.

Many thanks in advance. I look forward to your suggestions and help understanding them.

Offline Akzle

• Mana 10
  • professional
    • View Profile
Re: Air pistol capable of shooting chicken in head point blank
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
breaking necks isn't hard, I do it by hand. if it's the "running around like a headless chook" (post mortem nerve spasms) that puts you off, maybe this isn't a job for you?
"regaining consciousness" isn't a thing if the brain is destroyed.

repeater pistols will generally be limited to CO2 power (expensive), capacities of either 6-10 shot pellets, or <30 shot steel BB. They also tend to have a loud report/muzzle blast.
CO2 cannisters are good for about 25-30 shots, are you going to be killing 30 chooks at a go?
Pellets will be less fussy about shot placement and penetrate harder, potentially expand and cause a larger wound channel, but at point blank, BBs would be acceptable for me.

Consider though, that if you're doing this alone, and get flustered/ fail at your first shot, you're going to have a flapping bird and a loaded pistol with the safety off, no-one to help - will you really be in a reasonable frame of mind, conscious of where you're the muzzle is pointing, not accidentally tightening your grip and letting another shot off?

A single shot .22, break barrel - doesn't need CO2, less safety concerns. quieter. completely adequate.

FPS is marketing hype. FPE is far more meaningful measure.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:05:03 PM by Akzle »

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
Akzle makes some very valid points. Repeater pistol-- no way for you. A break barrel springer is your best option but one with good power will be heavy and possibly large. A Hatsan 25 or Webley Typhoon would do the job with power to spare and they come with a barrel extender to make cocking easier. Good safety catch so you can cock it lay it down and catch the chicken.  That is not a good idea because an unattended cocked pistol is dangerous and very bad gun handling practice.  Shooting even a break barrel pistol is a serious pastime. They are not very expensive but may be hard to find new as the Police are being diificult if granting import licences even to dealers.
If you can't do it in one shot then you should not be doing it. Make sure a shot doesn't pass through into your fingers.

PS. I might just happen that you like the pistol and start a little bit of target practice at a tin can. If that happens then you really have a problem developing.

PPS. If you live in Auckland Visit Youngs Airgun Centre in Dominion Rd. Ron will have something second hand that will suit you and he will let you have a few shots on his indoor range before you buy. Even if you live out of Auckland he is worth a phone call because he knows his products and is honourable.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:50:42 PM by Novagun »

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 11:47:34 PM »
Words of wisdom aside and well covered by those two, what about a crosman 2240. It's a single shot co2 pistol, .22.
The only hassle I can see is if you only fire one of two shots a week, the co2 my leak out between sessions. This only means you go through more co2 than desired, but still serves your purpose.
Otherwise what about a good nature trap? The only hard thing I can see is how hard it would be to safely pit the chickens head in. The trap fires a retractable bolt into whatever triggers it using co2 capsules.
HW98
HW97k x 2
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
Hammerli AR20
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
Second thoughts. Why not use the rifle you already have and put the chicken in a cage. I think you could calm it down and make it comfortable then poke the rifle barrel through the mesh to achieve point blank. That would be a much safer way of doing it with one person and the operation would be under better control..

Offline manymules

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
Akzke & Novagun - really good points about repeater pistols. You're right. One shot only for me.

I'm comfortable with pulling the trigger and with the bullet placement. Akzle, you're right, it's the flapping that upsets me, and while I know what it is, I don't feel that the chook has officially died until s/he goes still.... and that second shot I ask of my husband seems to make the difference... although tbh, it's likely the time it takes for him to break the rifle, load, aim, then reshoot. He always rolls his eyes at me and tells me the second shot isn't necessary. So, yes I'm OK about a single shot. I know that brain is already destroyed and that s/he won't regain consciousness.

Akzle - re breaking the neck - I still need the assurance of that massive concussion for the instant loss of consciousness. I respect your choice with your chickens. I'm definitely OK with shooting the chooks at point blank range. I'm totally OK with the flapping as long as I am still able to hold the chook. It's only IF they are flapping without constraint that I freak. I'm OK if I feel I'm keeping the body calm. My thinking I'm keeping the chook calm.... keeps ME calm.

Offline manymules

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 01:28:32 PM »
Akzle - usually only 1 chook if injured or sick. Otherwise maybe 5~7 roosters at a time, so no  problem about the co2 canisters.

Plus, I'd likely start with a brand new cartridge each time just in case the gas has leaked. I'd rather pay that little bit of money to ensure maximum oomph. Pellets sound a better option to me if it means more damage to the brain. That's what I need instantly.

I really appreciate your wisdom and your input.

Offline manymules

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
Novagun - thank you for mentioning Ron. I'll get in touch with him next time I'm down there. I'm in no hurry here.

Plus, I promise I won't shoot my finger. My hand would be on the chicken's back, no higher. We line the muzzle against the back of the head so three line of the shot is a straight line from back of head, between the eyes, and to the tip of the beak. So my hand will be totally clear. But thank you.

Re the chook calmly in a cage..... Yeah, if I could have the cage small enough to prevent the flapping that bothers me so much, then that's a possibility. I'll think on that option.

Very grateful for your advise and help.

Offline manymules

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
Novagun - you mention possibly starting target practice with the pistol. I can't see that happening as I truly do despise guns of any kind, and this option of a pistol (or somehow using the current rifle like you suggest) is for a  specific purpose, and one that always makes me sad to do.

I would never, ever trust myself to shoot anything from a distance - that even includes throwing balls! Unless it's a chicken (or a dying hedgehog) right up close, then I will always ask someone else to do the deed.

Offline manymules

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »
Akzle - re fps vs fpe.
I had come across a post about this just before posting myself. I'm already trying to learn about it.

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
There is guy in this forum owning 45cal air pistol that capable to blowup the chicken head off from body,clean kill guarantee, but not ideal because it's loud like 12ga shotgun.
NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline Akzle

• Mana 10
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »
There is guy in this forum owning 45cal air pistol that capable to blowup the chicken head off from body,clean kill guarantee, but not ideal because it's loud like 12ga shotgun.

As effective as that is, it still doesn't stop the flapping.

Offline Akzle

• Mana 10
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 02:53:09 PM »
my opinion only. i'm usually right and not usually very tactful.

It's only IF they are flapping without constraint that I freak. I'm OK if I feel I'm keeping the body calm. My thinking I'm keeping the chook calm.... keeps ME calm.
And that's fine and totally on you, but this is less-and-less sounding like a path that's really suitable for you.

Novagun - you mention possibly starting target practice with the pistol. I can't see that happening as I truly do despise guns of any kind,
That's something I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see remedied. and I do mean remedied, because it is a fault especially when you're looking to keep a gun.
I don't want to be a negative-nelly (though i absolutely will) but most of us here, and in the wider shooting community, (excepting perhaps those that only shoot paper) are happy with our incarnation at the top of the food chain. we refine our gear and our skills to kill things as effectively as possible, but i don't think any of us suffer any illusion. nothing wants to die.

Perhaps you would be better served caging them and drowning in a trough, or gassing (presumably you don't eat sick chicken meat) with the exhaust. Both methods are theorised to be "peaceful" ways to go.

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
This has been an interesting read.

I'm not going to get into the ethics but I can help on some recommendations for the process.

I think the tool for the job would probably be a Crosman 2240 which is about 5-6fpe at the muzzle with a fairly quick follow up shot if needed. To maximize the power use the heaviest pellet you can find, 20gr plus will give you a smidge more energy out of the co2.

Another better option if you don't like guns (that fire projectiles) would be a captive bolt gun similar to what they put cattle etc down with. They usually use high pressure air to "fire" a bolt that remains captive in the gun but protrudes an inch or two when fired, so you hold the muzzle right up to the chooks skull and pull the trigger which will fire the bolt into the brain destroying it without a projectile possibly passing through and going haywire. For small jobs like chooks this could probably even be spring powered to remove the reliance on C02.
Lots of airguns

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »
The simplest thing for Manymules would be to calm the chicken, then wrap it in a towel, cloth, rag, sack to prevent flapping , with or without cage, and then dispatch it.  Unwrap when all is done.