Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Big night on Possums last night  (Read 129 times)

Offline poorshot

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Big night on Possums last night
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »
Hi guys,

Been gone for a while from this site but like a bad smell...

I have not been doing much outside of shooting stuff that comes through my property for a while.

That said  it still amounts to taking a shot at something or other most days so the gun is in use frequently still.

I had mentioned here a long time ago my friend and neighbour purchased a nice 150acre valley planted in all kinds of trees and even though it's only 20mins from my house a year or more later we just went up last night for a shoot (lame as).
 And then only because he needed to tow an illegal trailer up after dark and I threw the gun in.

He has lots of large oaks and they are just in bud so we were hopeful. Turns out we shot 20 animals walking less than 500m down the main race and as I didn't have a full charge in my gun ( 200bar) we ended up leaving many more for another trip.

I shot the .25 Mk11 JSB heavies through the Wildcat and my friend was blown away by his ability to just start making head shots at will and the thump the pellets made upon arrival.

We also enjoy being the torch guy and watching the pellets do their thing.

I had a quick read of everyones posts and it's good to see you guys are still hard at it!

Cheers.

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Re: Big night on Possums last night
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 03:30:53 AM »
Nobody replied/ responded to your post.
Tomorrow it will be a month past. Have you been back for another run through the trees?

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
 mustve been blind i didnt see this post til now,remember when the possums here in the naki used be like
 that,used be able swing the light around and be one on just bout every post round here,oh for the good
 old days,apart from one real cheecky one on back porch few days ago, i have seen exactly 3 possums in
the last 7 years around here.due to a TB scare bout 25 years ago DOC been 1080ing every place in the naki
 ever since on regular bassis and every farm must have  a possum control program in place today so
 possums now a very beast in the naki.
 dont know every one aware some phuckwits rereleased the rabbit calicy ,think thats how its splelt,recently
 illegally again,wiped out all the pet rabbits the neighbour was breeding a while back,and havnt seen any
 rabbits in the usual haunts round here lately either,funny hasnt been the same media coverage the first
 illegal virus release it got last time tho,fact been nothing in media bout it at all,and no comment from the
 government either,funny that.
 cheers mike

Offline poorshot

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
Wow Mike I thought the world was full of Possums! It's a bit like fishing I guess, when you are catching them it feels like the ocean is full of fish.
We have a lot of rabbits up here as well (far north) and I was on Waiheke last week and it's got heaps of rabbits at the moment.
I wonder if that virus will travel up here?
I think it took until the 70s for possums to even make it up here in the first place or so I was told.
I plan to go back out this week and this time I am taking a dive tank and some extra batteries for the torch!
It was a bit like you said, everywhere you look and then more on the way back in the same trees that you didn't spot on the first pass.
I have to get back up before the trees leaf out though or It's going to be way harder to see them.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »
looks like guna be lousy for any small game hunting round here this summer,just no rabbits in their usual
 haunts,so virus mustve done its work,bugga it all,just dont get these idiots,rabbits never been prob in the
 naki cept maybe on the coast etc but never in pest proportions like some areas,we allwaz had a few n we
 sort like having a few around,so never hammer them,not much point going for evening walk with a fun if
 there nothing to take the odd shot at or for the dog to chase eh!!.
 cheers mike