Username:

Password:

Author Topic: magpies  (Read 227 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
magpies
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »
looks like the silly seasom for magpies started allready round here,just went outside to get fire wood n got bombed by two the buggers on way back in with arm load of wood,scared the bejesus outa me,didnt see or
 hear them coming,lot more them this year so could get interesting,guna have thin em out for sure otherwise one the grand kids could get hurt.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 10
    • View Profile
Re: magpies
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
Jo got swooped on a couple of days ago at Gear homestead. She is an ex farm girl so a bit used to it but what would a townie think.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »
i am country boy too,and they still catch me out at times,the younger ones seem be more aggresive when
 nesting than older ones,we got lot hawks round here too,n magpies sure give then bit a curry up,but dosnt
 seem bother hawks too much coz they dont change their normal hunting beat just coz few magpies being
 aggresive to them,tho have seem maggies put hawks on ground before,hawks just sit there til maggies
 get tired harrassing them,then go back to hunting.
 we seem have lot more this year than last tho n they now nesting in all the japenese ceders around the
 place this year,proberly coz all the big macrocarpas got blown down that big storm we had last winter,but
 thats good news for me coz easier for me sneak up on them n thats guna be bad for some them very soon
 cheers mike

Offline poorshot

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:30:59 AM »
my favorite enemy! Every now and then they get a bit lazy and I am away. If you can hit one and be well hidden and still, you can get a few on the trot. I got 6 one day but that was a blinder, not unusual to get a couple and have had a few 3s.....

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
know exactly wot you mean,i am bit serial magpie sniper myself,tho i have bit soft spot for them,having had
 several as pets over the years,they very aggessive towards other birds in their territory,particually this time
 the year,i suspect they get at native birds too,but never seen them do so,we seem have lot more than
 usual around this year,had couple close calls with them myself this year allready,so time to thin em out a
 bit,definatly one bird needs be on the preditor kill list.maybe we can apply for funding under governments
 preditor free schemes eh!!thats a serious propersition,if they serious bout bout getting rid preditors,mynas
 magpies fall into that definition,along with feral cats/possums/stoats/ rats etc,airguns perfect tool for
 ellininating all these pests,i used to pest shoot for my local council,and have made some enquires bout
 doing so again,the government throwing money into this pest free scheme,may well try get a share it too.
 could be some work oppurtunitys for airgunners under these schemes,so worth looking into.
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 10
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
Had a couple of mobs of them.Me and the neighbour across the valley swapped them for a while, he'd have a bomb up and they'd come here, I'd have a bomb up and they'd go back.There's ONE left and it's near as fuck tame. Not a threat to the natives so I'll let him live until he misbehaves.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
neigbours n i did same thing,but we got one neighbour who leaves them alone,so they all on his place now
 and his problem and pretty much exclusivly nesting in his pine trees next his house,went up there couple
 days ago,was like be dive bombed by stukas,he dosnt own a gun and easy going attitude to magpies a
 bit different to what was a few months back eh!!came down yesterday virtually begging me to go sort em
 out for him,think will let him stew for while yet before do some thing bout them.
 cheers mike