Username:

Password:

Author Topic: munted!!!!!$#%%^%  (Read 267 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
munted!!!!!$#%%^%
« on: October 13, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »
just totally munted a pcp tube end cap and fill valve had spent approx 4 hours making,had it loosely
 chucked up in lathe,bloody phone rang,so after 10mins on phone,totally forgot hadnt tighten tightened the
 chuck,fired lathe up,ran parting tool in to open up an o ring groove that wasnt quite right,and what do you
 know the bloody parting tool jammed,due to loose work piece twisting n going all out wack in chuck.
 have absolutely totalled the thing,stupid novice mistake that should never have happened,thru the thing
 as far out into the paddock as i could,now on my second bourbon and getting ready for the third.
 cheers mike

Offline Mintie

• Mana 30
    • View Profile
Re: munted!!!!!$#%%^%
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »
I bloody hate parting off! Worst part of machining by far.
Lots of airguns

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »
I really shouldnt be laughing... but we have all been there... I havent wrecked anything tonight but still having a whisky  ;D

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
have to take it on the chin eh!shit happens,but dosnt look any better today than did yesterday,beyond
 repair,and cant find anymore 6061 to make another either,so looks like that project on hold til get some
 more alloy.the nieghbour used parting tool the other day and for some strange reason had changed the
 height it was set to in quick change tool post,that certainly didnt help either,that trouble with what is
 normally a man workshop,i know were everything set etc,so never checked after someone else had used
 lathe,so double lesson there for me eh!!not first time hes changed tool heights on me either,why he does
 so i got no idea,guna have ban him i think.found he had allso munted cutting edge on a boring bar as well
 this morning,as wasnt here at time got no idea what he was maching,but hes working on his boat,so prob
 stainless some sort,and running lathe tooo fast,with no cutting fluid,why was using hss tooling on stainless
 beyond me,as there plenty tunstan tooling for that.bourbon didnt work,still feel like idiot.
 cheers mike