Username:

Password:

Author Topic: mynas  (Read 217 times)

Online Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
mynas
« on: October 28, 2018, 07:32:10 AM »
after 7 years having none these nasty pests around here since i wiped out last lot,we now have once again
 several breeding groups recently moved in around the property,i absolutly hate these birds as they attack
 the native birds and either kill them or drive them away,nothing makes my day seeing one these buggers
 explode in cloud brown feathers from well placed polymag preditor pellet at just under 1000fps,so i have very itchy trigger finger at the moment,but am restraining the allmost over wheming urge to destroy them
 for the moment any way,will wait and see if they start giving the tuis a hard time,before i do anything
 about them,as tho i hate them with a vengance,i do miss not having them around to take my spite out on,
 they cunning buggers thats for sure,as they have allready kicked several famillys of sparrows and starlings
 out their nests in the possum stops on the power poles around the house,but cant find where exactly the
 buggers are nesting them selves yet,but when i do i think they will get theirs.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
Re: mynas
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »
They haven't got this far south and maybe they won't. Could be too cold or too windy for them.
If they get here the rules for my back yard change on the instant. They have them in the Waikato and they are nasty birds, cunning and wary.

Online Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
just saw 4 green/yellow/red parrakeets fly by too,allways been small colony down by the river bout km
 away at back the farm,dont normally see them up here tho,looks like all the pest birds moving back in
 prob forgot i got guns eh!~!,but will soon remind them who the big karhuna round here thats for sure.
 better go put in some trigger time on the bsa 177 lonestar to get my eye back in.this little 17 driving 10.34
 jsb pellets at 980fps off regulater,n deadly accurate for quite a distance,havnt tryed yet on birds since got
 it off Paul some time ago.so should interesting,have never really used a 177 at this 22fpe power level on
 birds,mite have down tune it a little so can use 8.2gr preditor pellets,driving them super sonic at 22fpe,
 so not much use at that power level with standard weight pellets,reckon preditors at bout 1000fps should
 turn the buggers into a cloud feathers.
 cheers mike

Online Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
after watching a gang mynas destroying two sparrow and starling nests yesterday,decided was time to give em  bit their own back,so took some violent and terminal action against the enemy,rifle of choice the 177
 22fpe BSA lonestar,firing 10.34 gr jsb exact pellets at 980 fps,as tagets were only 25 yds away i figured
 the pellets would still be doing at lest 900fps on impact.
 fist target side on so put pellet thru shoulder,the effect was instant and allmost explosive,blew bugger
 clean off the post,in show of feathers,impact noise was loud,bugger fell to ground like wet sack,second
 target bout 5mins later had back to me.put pellet between shoulders,passed right thru it and blew head to
 bitz in shower of shit spectually,on retreving both birds the amount desruction was impressive,both birds
 where bassicall just mush with feathers on.
 hadnt used this rather high powered 177 before on birds,but got chance to doso again later in day on a
 magpie thats been making real pest of itself lately.60 yds out in paddock,no wind,put pellet thru the
 shoulders again,thing just fell over in cloud feathers and never moved again,absolutly pulped this one
 inside as well and pellet exited and blew large hole in ground,can see me and this 177 rifle becoming
 very good mates.
 cheers mike

Offline Jusepy82

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »
Do you have a pic of this bird , wondering if we have them around manawatu ?

Online Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 04:40:34 PM »
if i remember right,there are heaps mynas in manwatu bud,look back in this thread,plenty pics them.
 Wingman kills em in large numbers and has posted plenty of pics,as do many others.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »

Good work. Hold that defensive line up north. We don't want them down here.
If they arrive down here and start interfering with Tuis and sparrows and blackbirds
away goes my reticence.
My best guns for the job might be a Webley Tomohawk .177 8.4 gns at about 920 fps. Then Diana 34 at a bit less. Might even give my favourite Gamo a run.
Always been a bit reluctant to use any airgun on birds because you don't do that in her garden.
Mynahs change all the rules.

Online Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
would say any 177 cal driving pellets over 900 fps a good choice coz can reach out quite a distance,and
 are nice flat shooting as well,wish could use polymag prediters in my rifle,but they go super sonic,if they
 ever come up with 10.5gr prediter pellet i will be a starter,but they will work well in your rifle at 920fps
 but dont worry you guna get em too,sooner or later,taken them bout 40 years to spread thru most the
 north island,they were not in the naki when i was a kid,took em bout 10 years to spread from wanganui
 to new plymouth,they should real high on DOCs list of prediters,but dont seem to be,when i lived on my
 small farm on out skirts new plymouth,i shot over 700 in one year on my back lawn,could never get rid
 them,new plymouth got a plague of them,we dont have them in large numbers down here,but they are
 around,i shot several hundred of them within 2km of my home 8 years ago,these one here now the first
 have seen in 8 years,so they moving back in again.
 they real nasty preditory bird and very territorial,will try n kill any other bird in their territory if they can,
 they rob nests,break eggs n throw baby chick out nests,they cunning as dunny rat,and seem have eyes
 in back their heads,they learn real fast too,dispite hating them, they are a worthy opponante for an
 airgunner.
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 10
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:38 AM »
Yup, hate the beggars, but they're all wise to me and stay on the-other-side of the tree line. Parots are too quick for me on the 12ga but plenty of mynahs fall to it.

Online Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »
know exactly what you mean,mynas round here rare,but those around soon figure it out eh!!have same
 prob you got with parrots,they bloody quick all right,allways on the move,unless you got an orchard,they
 unpredicable where they guna turn up and stay in one place for a while.We got a small but growing
 population of two different types of rosellas around here,a nieghbour who breeds several types parrots
 lost several breeding pairs exotic parrots couple years ago as well these now seem be breeding too,all
 seem be living and breeding in bush along river bout km away at back the farm,but now seem be
 foraging more n more around here during the day,had put nets over our fruit trees last year to prevent
 them pillaging our fruit,the new crop mynas have very quickly to stay just out of range of my airguns,and
 i cant use fire arms on them,so they safe til i improve my long range airgun shooting,for the time being.
 cheers mike