Username:

Password:

Author Topic: gun/shooting clubs  (Read 388 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
gun/shooting clubs
« on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »
there are huge numbers of airguns sold in this country every year,most go to people living in citys,not
 many places you can use even an airgun in citys today,so there is a huge pool of those wanting to shoot
 their airguns in every city thats an untapped source of members potentually for airgun clubs that is just
 ignored by clubs,these clubs sre bassically secret societys no one knows exist,coz they dont advertise they
 exist,dont have posters up in gun shops,dont publish the fact they have organised shoots etc,dont publish
 the scores from shoots and dont publise how to contact them,dont have stands at gun shows dont set up
 small ranges at events like field days as they do in the UK,seems like clubs dont want anyone to know they
 exist,dont want new members etc,so its no wonder many clubs struggle to keep going due to lack of active
 shooters and new keen members.
 couple times a year i get on phone and organise a fun airgun shoot open to anyone whoes interested to
 come for barbie and shoot steel targets,empty cans and anything else they want knock over or destroy,
 with few beers n feed afterwards,usually get 20 or more turn up,n we whale of a time,thats just from my
 local neighbours etc,i cant even get in contact with the local airgun club i know around here some where.
 this is a good time to teach local kids to be safe with guns and how to shoot etc as well,if i can russel up
 that amount interest within few kms where i live,why cant a club doso to.if shooting not fun,many wont
 be interested eh!!FT not fun for many people,its too slow,not much fun to watch,and got too many bs
 rules for many.man shooter on shooter reactive steel targets on multipule can shoots heaps fun for all
 involved,its fast , fun and every one gets many goes as often as they want,gets very compeditive too
 i keep the guns simple,all fast shooting co2 rifles n pistols,same bassic safety rules as pistol club,with a
 range officer at all times,no loaded guns cept on firing line,all guns must be cleared by range officer
 before lkeaving firing lines simple easy to understand range saftey rules.
 if i can do this,so can any club.
 am in process making up new sets falling plates in sets 6 plates per stand for shooter on shooter speed
 shooting events,every one will get a go til only 2 shooters left for a shoot off,idea being same as action
 pistol shooting.only 6 shots per gun and drop plates as fast you can against a timer,fastest shooter with
 most plates down wins.round robbin shoot until only two shooters left for a shoot out,heaps fun n great
 to watch,can be shoot with rifles or pistols.
 havnt organised a shoot for while,next one will be all steel falling plate shoot,tho am sure can shooting
 will come into it to,as allways seems be popular,this time will run can shoot same way n rules as falling
 plate shoot,coz just more fun.
 if airgun clubs ran these type fun shoots,were people could have bit compeditive fun with their co2 pistols
 and rifles believe would be very popular and attract new members,who just organised fun with their guns.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
Re: gun/shooting clubs
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »
The question of clubs viabilty is a bit of a mystery. We did have an air rifle club in Wellington. In fact we still do but it is in recess due to want of premises. Even when we did have a big warehouse and an open air range numbers were not healthy. We put notices and pamphlets in the gun shop and it didn't do much if anything to  sustain the club. Even the small bore club has a small nucleus of keen shooters but not many turn up regularly.
Lack of participation is reported by other clubs, not only shooting.

I have heard it said that people don't have money to spend. Maybe that is a factor but I am sure it is not the whole story. Maybe it is recreactional drugs and electronic entertainment.

I certainly don't have an answer.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »
active club membership seem have allways been bit issuse with some shooting clubs for long i can
 remember,other sports clubs now finding keeping active members becoming a problem today as well
 people got so into other pursuits today,gaming etc more interesting to most young guys than actually
 shooting real guns,dispite the fact many are so into the shooting type games on Xbox etc,Xbox prob
 more exciting to them,with all the murder and mayhem involved in these games etc,shooting paper or
 steel targets must seem pretty tame to many young guys today.
 finding perminent ranges in a city allways been a problem,new plymouth city council supplyed the land
 on very cheap long term allways renewable lease to the pistol and small bore rifle club,maybe thats an option worth exploring for other clubs,worth a try,nothing to lose eh!!
 i have no idea where my local airgun club is located,as i cant get in touch with them either.
 i would be interested in belonging and shooting some events possibly even FT tho dont have a suitable
 rifle,all mine being far too powerful.
 cheers mike

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
Mike, the limit is 28 ft. Pound. Mainly to conserve life of targets I think. The knock downs aren't totally bullet proof. You would be welcome I'm sure.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
thanx paul,got two rifles under 28fpe,my old airarms s410 22 be the best choice prob its 24fpe,you prob
 right bout target damage,i got 2x 3mm thick stainless plates here,not sure if showed ,but they really bent
 and been hit so many times in one place with 30 plus fpe 22 pellets,there a 30 cal hole right thru plate.
 these plates easliy stop 22 rim fire,so hate to think just how many 21gr pellets it took to eventually blow
 that hole thru the plate,but had be more than 2 eh!!!most those shots were thru my old clark pistol i
 recently sold,i got 60mm x 2mm discs here that are now domed shaped from the 22fpe 177 lonestar i got
 from you,just goes to show how much energy gets transferred from lead into steel eh!!100% eh!!
 cheers mike

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:40:30 PM »
Haha, yeah. Some of the old targets in the range  look like someone has used a soup spoon for the knockdown paddle, cos it's been hit so many times. Only 3 mm steel on the typical gamo knock downs.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »
the solution to bent steel target componants is to make them from bent steel to begin with  Paul,lol
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »
the solution to bent steel target componants is to make them from bent steel to begin with  Paul,lol
 cheers mike

Just flip them 'round and shoot them back flat!

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »
Whangarei has both (powder burner) pistol and 10m indoor (air) pistol club in at Maunu. Air shoots Wednesday evenings I think, powder on Saturday AM.

Fine for those who DO ten meter olympic pistol, but probably a bit boring for many. It would be good to see some more "fun" shoots. I think air have access to the outdoor ranges aswell, out to 50m. I think schools need to be involved. Everyone should be exposed to it, which may cure some of the bullshit.
Vote me for king and I'll implement a "Kalashnikovs in Kindy" program...

Taururoa school keep taking home cups with their trap-shooting team (there's a clay range just down the road) so there IS stuff happening, even if most don't hear about it.

I don't bother going to the club much cos it's ages away in town and I got a cupboard full of guns and plenty of space where I am.

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:33:27 AM »
Also there is a pistol club out the top end of NP. Couldn't tell you where, pretty sure it's on the main road or not far off it.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »
i was member the NP pistol club for many years when i lived in NP,gave it upsome years ago,couldnt be
 bothered with the traveling from where i live now,back to NP,allso coz the BS crap the once awesume
 club degenerated into when most us early long time members left committee after many years service
 and committee was slowly taken over by a bunch of silly old kids who only wanted cowboy games shot at
 the club,and generally stuffed up a great club,i just got tired the crap they caused and gave up shooting.
 I am pretty much same as you,i live in the country and got plenty shooting i can do ant time i want with
 no crap to put up with from phuc wits.
 Did you want that tasco 1,75-5x 20 scope n mounts AKZLE its for freight mate of no further use to me.
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 08:41:44 AM »
Did you want that tasco 1,75-5x 20 scope n mounts AKZLE its for freight mate of no further use to me.
 cheers mike

Sure do. I'd rather come down and pick it up tho.
I've still got your number I'll give you a call one day (that elusive "day that I manage to get my shit together")  ;D

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »
sweeyas mate,put it away in deep dark dungeon for you n forget its there,getting shit together!!!!@@$#$@$$%^,how exactly does one do that??been trying to get my shit together all adult life
 without much success i mite add,lol
 cheers mike