Username:

Password:

Author Topic: swelling seals  (Read 147 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
swelling seals
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
A while back i purchased some paintball co2/hpa fill nipples with one way fill vale in them,simplily because
 couldnt be bothered making them,the intention being to replace fill valves in couple my bulk filled co2
 rifles that had been playing up,everything fitted and seem to work fine,filled just fine,no leaks etc,refilled
 one rifle yesterday,worked fine,as had done several times previously,took the usual 36 grams co2,weighed
 rifle to check as allways do,this morning just out of curiousty weighed rifle again,over night had lost 30 grams of co2,as had not lost any co2 previously,something had be wrong,emptyed gun and removed valve
 seal had swelled up to twice normal size,found cause the leak for sure,as seals supposed be for co2,they
 should not have swollen as they did,so am at bit of a lose as to why they did.
 Anyone got any suggestions on WTF going on here as i tryed some other seals have used on co2 before
 with no issuses and got same result,something bit strange going on here,cant be the co2 am using coz
 been using this lot for some time with no issuses n co2 just co2 usually behaves the same no matter the
 source it comes from so doubt its some how been containated.
 Have to wonder if the seat size is too large and letting presure force seal out to fit the larger size seat
 seals once expanded dont shrink back again to orgional size when they warm up again,any suggestions
 as to whats going on here would be very appreciated as would like to be able to use this rifle by
 tomorrow having recently finally decided to join local airgun club,got steel plate speed shoot tomorrow
 and this rifle perfect for that type shooting.
 HELP!!!!!!!!!!
 cheers mike

Offline Ed.

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
Re: swelling seals
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Hi there,sounds like Nitrile orings instead of polyurethane orings.I've been caught out with this also and some manufacturers dye poly orings black which can make visual identification confusing.Nitrile orings will swell when in contact with CO2.Seal imports carry various sizes of polyurethane oringshope this helps.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Re: swelling seals
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 07:11:02 AM »
Thought had be the seals,as they also seemed to swell pretty much instantly when filling the cylander as it
 wouldnt fill to more than bout third of what it used to with the old seals,bit annoying as i purchased the
 seals from paintball supplier as being suitable for co2,will just have go to my usual industrial supplier and
 get the right seals i normally use eh!thanx.
 cheers mike