Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Trying to fix a leak  (Read 117 times)

Online Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Trying to fix a leak
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
I had fitted a regulator to my Air Arms S510 a while ago, and I knew I had a slow leak and put it down to me either nicking an o ring or getting a hair or something in the seal. So i set out to fix it a couple of weeks ago.
Well..... after replacing all the seals in and out of the reg, and multiple reg extractions I watched Robert Lane videos again, and his advice is that 99.99% of slow leaks from the breather hole are from deformities in the tube. So armed with that I took to inspecting the inner tube wall and it has multiple imperfections running in exactly the wrong place for me. I got one of those honing tools a while ago, and thought maybe I could polish it out, but after a minute of that, the cracks stand out even more now that it's semi polished.

So i'm asking those with engineering experience what they think, and if a can succeed with either honing or some form of polishing these cracks out enough to get a seal?

Here's a couple of photos, one clearer than the other, but one shows how deep they are. The hole you see is the breather hole drilled through the tank.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to fix a leak
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 06:35:15 AM »
Is it leaking out the vent hole in tube Paul??Two possible causes there mate,could be as you suspect due
 to leaking at orings,or could be the reg its self leaking and escaping out vent hole as meant to between the
 orings etc,if its allways had small leak at vent possibly orings too small and not sealing too,Phil the man
 to really ask mate,but these the usual causes.
 cheers mike

Online Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:43:10 AM »
I have changed the o rings in the reg, so I'm certain its these crevices. I just hope I can remove enough material fo get rid of the gap, but not change too much dimension that the rings don't seal.
Anyway, not that I'm made of money, but if it doesn't work at least I can get a new tank if I had to.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »

i know nothing about pcps but those cracks look to me as if polishing will never get them out and they will never get better.
High pressure air can be dangerous.
My ill informed opinion says discard and buy a new part. And soon.

Online Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »
Yes, they are pretty deep. Having a go with Emery cloth, so will wait and see.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Ed.

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »
I would have to say replace that cylinder and probably send the manufacturer a pic.I have had similar experiences with high pressure tubing where one batch had a blemish free bore and another batch had fine linear tracking only detectable when magnified and probably caused by scuffing marks on the tube formers.If the tracking is shallow it can be honed out safely,and stop air bypassing the oring area,followed by a pressure test.But when cracking or laminations are present that batch should be rejected and recorded along with its traceable heat number.Hope this helps.

Online Pauly5

• Mana 29
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 12:24:39 AM »
That's interesting. I did wonder if it was a defect that should have been picked up at QC.
 I got some Emery paper today, and set to work on it. I managed to get all but the one big one out. It was greatly reduced, so I  polished it with some 1200 grit wet and dry, then put some air into it. I put a dab of silicone grease over the breather hole and no sign of air, yesss fixed. Unless its just ultra slow now, but time will tell.

So now, if I ever regulate another gun, I know what to check.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 09:57:20 AM »
As you know Paul I am fan air arms guns,but seem remember some time back there being lot complants
 bout certain guns,started bout time air arms started exporting to US they started having QC probs,
 possibly got too big too fast trying to meet US demand,but that issuse was resolved,possibly your rifle
 may have been made in that time period and ended up here,been inside several air arms pcps now and
 never seen tubing like yours in any them,previous post bout the form dies is right,only takes a tiny bit dirt
 inside a die to do this damage,due to the pressures inside forming die,but tube should never have got past
 inspection at air arms,any strutual damage to tubing used at the constant pressures pcp hold is bloody
 dangerous,as can simplily let go at any time without warning when under pressures,i would have a go at air
 arms but dont like your chances getting it replaced by them as I have found air arms customer service to
 be not that good,maybe was just me,but I havnt had much luck with them,others may have but I didnt.
 cheers mike