Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Pellets  (Read 175 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Pellets
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »
Now I have my bulk filled co2 pest shooting rifles back on line,i needed more the specific pellets I use in
 them having allmost run out of these cheap locally made Diana/Kilwel branded pellets both rifles give the
 best accuracy with and being the only pellets one rifle will feed tru its shuttle feed system,but couldnt get
 any locally,so found a rather expenisive alternative that worked thru the fussy rifle,but damned things just
 wounldnt hold a group.both these rifles pretty accurate with the other pellets capable of keeping 5 shots
 into approx 25 cal hole at 15/18 yards,new expenisive pellets which measured exactly the same on heads
 and skirts couldnt keep 5 shots inside 1 inch at same distances,so were bloody useless to me,so now got
 allmost 500 of shotgun pellets,trouble is I dont own a shotgun eh!!Just goes to show that price dosnt
 allways mean better I guess.
 Started using these cheap localy nz made pellets years ago simply coz were cheap readily acailable in co2
 plinking pistols as we went thru so many pellets,but was surprised just how well made they are for weight
 diameters etc so tryed them out in accurate rifles and found they shot extremely well,and been using
 them in sub 12fpe rifles ever since,Ron young told me while back the machinery used to make these
 pellets had been sold to Aussie company and was being taken to Aussie,probly why finding it hard to find
 these pellets now,which is totally pissing me off,just one more nz company been taken over by an over
 seas company and shut down locally.
 Getting hard to find nz made things of any sort today as every thing good made localy seems to end up
 being made off shore these days,and they wonder where all our jobs go eh!!
 cheers mike

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
Re: Pellets
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
Which pellets were they mate? I have a few boxes of killwells here
Lots of airguns

Online Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
It seems to be quite popular to make your own pellets now. There's a couple of people "on the line" with videos.
H.m hen is one guy. 
https://youtu.be/qnmkWWs6eOQ

Quite a labour of love mind you, but if it wasn't too expensive I would consider it.

Also, there are these pellets that the new FX barrel liners are having great results with.
https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/products/19-grain-hollow-point-air-rifle-pellets-217-caliber-air-gun-slug-swaged
Would love to try some, but they end up around $1 each, which in air gunning terms means expensive.

HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
Making prI dont know how good the pellets these guys are making areojectiles isnt that hard Paul,making really good ones is,two ways to make pellets,one is by casting them from hot lead,the other way is to swage them thru dies from lead wiremaking lead wire the right size
 allso reqiures casting lead billets that are then swaged into wire the diameter needed to swage the diameter
 of progectiles needed,I was in the mid 1980/early 90s a large commercial prducer of cast and swaged lead
 and jacketed bullets,and did all three processes on large scale,still have some bullet making tooling in some
 calibers,but never made airgun pellets commercally simplily coz wasnt worth the very significant expense
 of making and setting up the high speed casting and swaging machinery to do so to make doing so
 commercally viable,I dont know how good the pellets these guys are making are,but I know its not easy
 to consistantly hand make large quantitys of pellets,that are precisely the same diameter,weight and
 particully using pure lead that dosnt fill moulds as well as proper casting lead alloy,waisted pellets shape
 alone makes them very hard to cast accurately to begin with,personally I have no interest in trying to
 cast large numbers of perfect pellets by hand,just to save money,cold swaging waisted pellets bassically
 cant be done in normal straight type dies,but needs to be done in roll swaging dies and thats a complicated process to make dies for and to set up.
 The home pellet casting set ups I have seen are pretty bassic and slow to produce a decent quantity of
 precission pellets from,and the important word here is PRECCISION,if home made pellets are anything
 like most the home cast lead bullets i see,they wont be very precise,have seen one home pellet making
 set up available in UK thst casts a bassic slug that is then put in a die with a punch/hit with hammer to
 swage the pellet to correct size etc but dosnt control the weight,these pellets are more like a bullet with
 hollow base and small raised skirt JSB makes some very heavy pellets this shape as have I,this is only
 way to swage pellets in extrusion die,so guns like them some dont.There is a lot more to making top
 qaulity pellets than many think just as there is with good cast bullets,
 I was the only commercial bullet maker in nz for many years,this is a subject a I know a little about as I
 used to produce several million top qaulity bullets a year for competition pistol shooting and police
 departments incuding our own.
 Paul the pellets I talking about were made in nz,but Ron told me the tooling and machinery has been sold
 and is going to Aussie,pity coz tho cheap some were rather good pellets as good as some well known
 overseas brands in fact,marketed as either Diana or killwell,the target pellets are some the most accurate
 177 cal pellets I have used,I havnt seen them being made but believe they were cast on hi speed casting
 machines.
 I have looked into setting up to make 177/22 pellets but decided market not big enuf to make ie worth while p to produce top qaulity pellets at a price that would sell sifficient qauntities to cover the cost of
 setting up,Imay yet set up for smaller scale production of 30,38.45 cal swaged airgun projectiles,as will
 be wanting these my self evenually as I can swage approx 1000 and hour on hand presses in the larger
 calibers or cast them by hand in simialer numbers,but once again nz market too small to be commercially
 viable,making bullets or pellets is a numbers game commercially.
 cheers mike

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:52:47 AM »
Sorry bout the typoes in last post,but you should get jist of it hopefully
 cheers mike

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
If these are the ones you are after I have 2 and a bit boxes worth here for you if you want them, you have given me stuff before :)

Lots of airguns

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Thats the little buggas mate,just cant get them here at moment,Ron proberly still got them but dont order
 them unless got other things coming,as the freight kills the price,More than happy to accept your kind offer
 mate, you got my address eh!!I found couple old springers under the bench was guna ask if you wanted them,be good for parts/stocks , projects ,other wise just guna bin them if no use to anyone,possible Hugh
 may like them am sure he could do some thing with them,dont know the make,but not chinese,Any one wants them let me know.
 Some my guns love these cheap nz made pellets so guna really piss me off the tooling being sold and
 moved to Aussie,coz doubt we will see them again now.
 cheers mike

Offline Mintie

• Mana 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
All yours mate, Whats your address?

The springers sound interesting, Send them along to me and I will see what I can do with them
Lots of airguns

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 05:38:34 PM »
Will do mate,as far as remember bout were going ok,just needed that fore end screw issues discussed while
 back sorted out,dont know if barrels while still ok, they been under the bench for 5 years.so may need 17 cal bronze brush thru them,but as said be good for parts etc.pellets be awesume thanx,they only ones that feed reliably thru inline shuttle feed on my Gamo g1200 co2 rifle,they allso very accurate in that and the Gamo co2 extreme rifles I have on bulk fill.
 The manufacture of these pellets just one more nz small industry thats been sold and gone overseas to
 benifit others and not us Kiwis eh!!Pretty much got to stage bout the only thing Kiwis make now is our own
 poop eh!!.
 cheers mike