Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Getting hard  (Read 264 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Getting hard
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:26:16 AM »
As Hugh recently commented its getting hard to find interesting topics to post,particually when I cant post
 pics,but allso getting hard to continue posting when topics posted dont seem to be of enough interest
 to get replies to I try pretty hard to find interesting topics to post,the only topic that seems to get any
 discussion going is regarding import regulations and how nz police are applying them,this is a dead end
 and pointless discussion,and allways ends up getting a little heated as every one has different opinions
 based on their own experiences,but in the end it goes no where positive as it cant,simply because we have
 no input into how laws are written and administered by nz police and customs,but it certainly gets some us
 on our soap boxs.Personally I am over this particular topic its like kicking a dead horse.
 This used to be a very lively and interesting forum,but its struggling now just to keep going due to only a
 very few posting any thing at all,which is a shame and a lose to our airgun community,as this forum has
 a lot to offer to not only experienced airgunners but for those new to airguns as there is a huge wealth of
 excellent imformation and experience available on this forum,that would be a real shame to lose,things
 have some how changed dramatically in recent times,with pcp rifles being now on firearms licence,co2
 build projects which used to be a bit thing seem to have died out,clubs now longer post events or scores
 etc,every one seems to have found other things to do that are more interesting I guess,face book may
 have something to do with it too,but there isnt the wealth of knowledge on face book that can be found
 on this forum.I allmost gave up posting a while back and am now wondering again why I bother again.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
Re: Getting hard
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
You have to be clairvoyant. I was thinking the same thing just half an hour ago. Looking at the number of guests shown on the forum compared to users. Someone said the guest numbers tick over when people do general searches on the internet for topics that happen to include topics contained in this forum. That must account for the numbers.

Yes pcp and import legislation are a bit of a dead end as you say. You mentioned something about pcp knockers. I don't knock them, I just don't want one. To me, for what I want they are too expensive by a long shot for what I need. Springers suit me fine. Not as accurate but pretty good.

I use mine just about every day in the back yard or the workshop. Can't work up anything exciting to say about shooting a piece of paper at 20 yds. Still do it though. The good thing is that I can shoot off ten or twenty pellets and put the gun down and come back later and do it again. By now I should be Wellingtons champion air rifle shooter but I am not.

The small bore club is closed for the summer break and I am looking forward to that starting up again in the new year. The thing about that club is that shooting is the main activity but the show and tell is really interesting.  There is a bloke who is a fitter turner and boiler maker and he works at the Railway workshops. A really well qualified tradesman. The things they do there are very intersting. He is a talker and tells us about what goes on. Sometimes he brings old construction drawings of locomotives.  They are really interesting to peruse and find out how locomotives work.

As an aside, what a slow motion trajedy the railway workshops are. The steady loss of skilled workers and skill training. We will suffer for that, in fact I think we are now.   

I just can't rake up any enthusiasm for the air rifle group on face book. Most of what is said is drivel and the good stuff is obscured by the rest.  Even GTA has a fair bit of drivel. Stuff like help me chose an air rifle. I reckon if you can't chose which gun you want or can afford how do you chose when to pull the trigger. Just descisions. But every now and then GTA has some really good posts. Informative technical stuff.

The striking thing is that for a forum domiciled in the country of 3 or 400  million people GTA has a core group of people posting stuff. Just a few, say 20 odd, maybe more and even then some of them go quiet for a while.

I was impressed with that crossman 2240 that someone bought just a day or two ago. I looked it up on Pyramid air. Nice looking co2 gun , single,shot traditional, right up my alley. $125 US but by the time you factor in the exchange rate and freight it will pretty expensive here.  Still I am thinking about it.
Probably not much better than my two Japanese Sharps. They are pretty good but eight to ten pumps per shot is a bit of a chore. Shouldn't groan because it is all exercise. The simplicity of a springer is welcome.

I will be out of computer range for a week or so from tomorrow.

Don't get sucked in to all the commercial Xmas bullshit. But have a good lunch with the familly and go for a nice walk after lunch.

Remember the Police who pick up the pieces of family stress late on Xmas day. Too much grog and too much family violence. Too many impatient drivers and too many deaths. Same every year so look after yourselves because I want to hear from you on this forum in the new year.

What a lot of waffle but I did amuse myself typing. Too much waffle but it is not compulsory reading.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:03:00 PM by Novagun »

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
So how do you guys take your photos? camera or phone?

Start here and maybe we can figure a way for you to post them. This forum is one of the easier ones to put pics on.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
here's a photo I took last week end with my phone.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Vault

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
Its been so long since I posted photos Ive forgotten how also. I used to upload to photobucket but what was once unlimited storage with them suddenly isnt anymore.

Anyone know of another website that can be used like photobucket ?
Ive been taking lots of aerials with a drone of my hunting grounds and it gives you a better perspective of the properties.

Ive only shot perhaps 6 rabbits over last month or so due to wind, rain, low clouds (mind you Im 350m absl) and now the grass is so long rabbits are hard to spot unless I see that white tail bouncing away.

Must say though scanning with a drone from 120m up and 300m out makes locating the buggars easier till I try n find them from ground level.

I borrowed a Red LED Maxtoch scope mounted hunting light which is great on low power for eyeshine and through the scope your able to see clearly.

I kill....

Rabbits

Reptilians

Pedophiles

Possums

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 04:31:28 PM »
Am bit higher up than you on slopes mt taranaki bout 1200ft above sea level,no rabbits round here at moment either,or are hiding in the long grass so couldnt see em if they were around lol.
 Not much a target shooter either,but have finally joined the local airgun club,want shoot sillouettes n steel
 targets with my pcp pistols,but they not really up on most formal paper target shooting mostly pretty
 informal n fun stuff.we got 45meter beercan off hand rifle n pistol shoot this weekend,got no trouble hitting
 cans out to 45 yds with the 3.5 fpe 177 pistol so should be lot fun,Personally I only drink beer to get the
 empty cans eh!!!!!!!and I need lot cans which is giving me a drinking problem now,as iI only smoke fags
 when I drink have got a smoking problem to now too,life sucks when you gota drink beer just get targets
 eh!!Trouble with having to drink beer to get targets being that by time you got nuf targets you tooo pissed
 to hold a gun up,
 As the other smaller targets I use are beer bottle twist tops my drinking is now getting outa control,and
 spend so much money on beer I cant afford to buy pellets,bit of a dillemia,as I can shoot if dont have
 targets,and if buy beer to get targets I cant afford to shoot,has to be a logical solution to this ,but am too
 pissed to figure it out,coz was my job to supply the targets for tomorrows can shoot,bugga it all .
 Have to go now Sharon goin to take me into town to buy more beer coz still 24 cans short for tomorrows
 can shoot,
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Sounds like life is really hard up the Naki.
I hate that expression. I should say in the fertile region of Taranaki.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 08:28:38 AM »
Life is sweet in the Naki Hugh we so far away from Auckland they dont even know we exist mate and that
 suits us just fine only two ways in and out and we can block them off real easy and we can allways turn the
 gas supply off if they really piss us of eh!!We allready paying an extra 8 cents per liter on fuel to pay for
 their roads etc,which we absolutely resent,and there petrol is cheaper than ours to begin with,just a bloody
 racket as far we concerned,the buggas should be paying for their own roads,not us and rest the country.
 When our roads are getting trashed by all the trucks coming thru here heading for Auckland or returning
 from it,Aucklanders should try living with constant power cuts that can last up to 3/4 days with internet
 if it works at all thats barely better than dial up,bet that we could hear them hollering from here if they
 had to put up with the crap services many in the provences have to live with,around here mate nothing
 gets maintained,or repaired unless it totally stops working and even then it takes often many days til they
 finally get around to patching it up once again,but do we complain??no coz no one listens to us anyway
 or even cares enuf to repair or replace things properly either,but we gladly put up with that coz we live
 in a paradise hundrds miles away from Auckland and you can bet we absolutly enjoy every minute
 listening to Aucklanders bleating every time their power internet and cell services go down for just few
 hours on tv,They dont live in the real world the same the rest the country lives in thats for sure,but very
 few of us would swap places to go live in Auckland thats for sure,we have some thing Aucklanders can
 only dream about and thats qaulity of life in the things that really matter eh!!
 So dispite the apparent hard ships of living well away from Auckland Hugh life is definatly sweeter down
 here.
 cheers mike

Offline Vault

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »
Same type of lifestyle here in Dunedin, surrounded by hills, native bush everywhere, wood pigeons everywhere even in the city, beautiful beaches, amazing scenery everywhere like a cross between Nelson/Bay of Islands.
We have more land, fresh water, less people, lotz of wild game animals. Ive seen wild red deer 4mins drive from Botanical Gardens.

But out petrol is amongest the most expensive in the country as of 6 Dec 2018 it was;

91 octane $2.03
98 octane $2.25
Diesel $1.50

Never gets cheaper.
Locals here are paying for Auckland infrastructure also which is why I opted out of The System and do my best not to contribute to any of it.

The people here are among the friendliest I've encounted anywhere, there is a real sense of community and caring which is fantastic considering its a decent sized town that has rural values.

Still a few criminal cops getting exposed down here though as they're nationwide

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/police/officer-leaves-disgrace

I kill....

Rabbits

Reptilians

Pedophiles

Possums

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 07:07:37 AM »
Pretty much same here mate nice n quiet no neighbours,plenty wild life,got large numbers of red and fallow
 deer just down the road I have been hunting for years very likely more good fallow deer around here than
 any where else in country and plenty good reds too if you know where to go,which I do and the hunting is
 easy too,no bush bashing needed round here,We have a really good local police force here most been here
 long time and have earnt the respect of us locals most on first name bassis unlike some cops I know from
 other areas they all good people,and my opinions regarding nz police like your own are very well known
 on this forum but I dont include our locals in that opinion.
 We now pretty much off the grid now as fars as power goes and will be completely off grid in near future,
 our petrol bout same price as yours mate we all paying the same extra tax on it to subsidise Aucklands
 roading issues they dont want pay for themselves and their fuel cheaper than ours too,which totally pisses
 me off,when our local roads a bloody mess that never gets sorted properly either,we will never get hi speed broad band and what little we do get dosnt work lot the time,just like our power grid dosnt either,
 Cell sevice not best either,but thats all part living in paradise eh!!life lot slower and better in so many
 other ways we wouldnt change it any way,thats proberly why we got good local cops to,coz they dont
 want leave either so are more of a part of the community than in other places I think.
 You can stick the city where you sit as far as I an concerned,they got nothing we want and every thing we dont want in life.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »
Well it is a bit odd round here at the moment. There has been an exodus for the holidays. Wellington closesdown till about the second week in January.  Go to town and there are few people and few cars. Bliss, I tell you. Our little suburban village is usually very busy but not now. 
All this infill housing is increasing population density but roads and services have not been upgraded.
They are building a big and very expensive library complex. City Council thinking they are wonderful but the bus hub is a disgrace. On street parking is hampering traffic flow in the residential streets.
Not surprised because the City Council have a woeful tradition to maintain.

Been thinking of going to live in Mangaweka.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
nothin wrong with mangaweka Hugh nice n quiet I grew up not far from there in central north island and still do lot hunting in that area,trouble is many small towns in the area been taken over by bloody aucklanders
 buying up the cheap houses for holiday homes coz close to the ski fields,puting house prices beyond the
 price many locals can afford now its same now right thru central north island,you better off staying where you are mate coz too far for aucklanders to travel for a bach we shouldve put a wall around auckland 50
 years ago while was still small enuf to fence eh!! ha ha
 cheers mike