Username:

Password:

Author Topic: How are Starlings bad?  (Read 249 times)

Offline altair

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
How are Starlings bad?
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
Keen to know what damage Starlings do in NZ? I have 50,000 on my back lawn when I'm trying to entice damned Mynas in..but the Starling is classified as a pest in NZ, all I can find out by googling is they are a major menace to air traffic, and they shit a lot.
Should I be taking them out or leaving them alone?
Getting an itch trigger finger...lol
cheers

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Re: How are Starlings bad?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
calling starlings a pest depends on what you call a pest,like many rural dwellers i generally leave them
 alone on the farm as they eat lot of pasture pests,but at nesting time if they get inside buildings they made
 hell ma mess and then become a pest to us,we activly discourage them from nesting in buildings by making
 nesting boxs for them on fence posts etc,chase them out of buildings during nesting time etc or just make
 buildings as bird proof as possible,because we want them around for grub control in pastures so we have a love /hate relationship with starlings,they dont seem to trouble native birds and dont contest food supplies
 with natives as far i know,so leave them pretty much alone,but if find out they compete with natives for
 food we get rid of them for sure,but have seen no evidence to say they do so far,others may know more
 on that issuse than i.
 I dont kill any thing unless necessary or am hungry.
 cheers mike

Offline altair

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
Yeah I have a reasonable sized garden here, but the Starlings ignore it, unlike the Blackbird, and Thrush. The  damned Myna drives me crazy with its non stop screeching and the fact it is nasty to our natives.
Was curious as to what people thought of them, I've actually only ever shot a few, and to be honest they were lame, seems to be a few around with a bung leg.
The Blackbirds are clever buggers, they now don't come near the part of the garden when I shoot..but if I'm out without my air rifle they tease me by pulling seedling out and doing burnouts in the soil..pricks..and the Mynas let out loud alarm calls..I need to be more clever with that lot
Cheers

Offline Robo9

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »
check out diseases Carried by European Starling, and you'll shoot them I shoot them for my employer here in Nelson

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
we got heaps starlings on the farm we leave them alone unless they nesting in buildings coz they huge
 mess etc then they get hammered we have put nesting boxs around to encourage them to nest else where
 as they eat huge numbers of grubs n bugs in paddocks we tend to leave them pretty much alone all birds
 can carry deseases i doubt starlings are any worse than others,we have huge problem with ducks shitting
 in dams whitch  are water supplies to troughs etc the shit settles on bottom and blocks pump intakes so
 we allways cleanly out pump filters just to keep pumps running,would rather elliminate the bloody ducks
 as their shit full   bateria which allso gets in the live stock water supply.you cant use this water except for
 washing down the yard in cow shed due to the cantamination etc.starlings lest our problems.
 cheers mike.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:25:33 PM »
They dont last long around my place.. they are top of my hit list.. Ive watched them bullying Tui's in my trees out the front of my house while stripping my kihikatea trees of berries, so yes they also fight for food with the natives  and thats all the reason I need.
Ive dont a lot of pest control around farm sheds, airfields and hangers and they are target number one. Ive removed thousands of them from this planet and will continue to do so

https://youtu.be/oBg_NroPXSo
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:31:17 PM by Wingman »

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 05:45:31 AM »
often seen people giving starlings hard time never really knew why sure i clean them out if they been a
 nuisense in buildings etc but never thought they were a problem other wise but that can change if they as
 bad you guys recon i have no issuses in shooting them round here now and plenty of them so got plenty
 targets,bit off subject but bit a laugh,came home from town yesterday anf found share milker had put up
 new farm sign at front gate,bloody near took the car roof off with the things its hanging out into the tanker
 track so far,guna be interesting this morning to see it tanker takes it out and that will piss driver off big
 time as it right at truck mirror height and sticking out over the drive by meter,might be bit of cheap
 entertanment here.
 cheers mike

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
now am convinced starlings are a pest have spent the after noon sniping at them out to 80yds in paddock next to the house been having whale of a time wind bit gusty on and off have no trouble taken them out at
 80yds with the 22 fpe 177 BSA 177 cal pcp rifle as olng the wind isnt blowing with dead on aim ,but gets bit
 bit tricker reading and judging wind wind gusts so success rate fell off there for a while but soon got back
 onto it and score went up again,amazing how wind not pushs pellets to the side but wasnt expecting it
 to make them hit higher as well,seems they sort of float a bit on the wind as well causing them to hit high
 only a guess as cant see the pellets at allmost 1000fps at muzzle,but hell lot fun none the less,fired 32 pellets and end tally was 23 starlings not too bad considering the wind conditions i thought.
 cheers mike