Username:

Password:

Author Topic: brown hawks down  (Read 128 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
brown hawks down
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:32:02 AM »
this is some thing you townies wont see,we have several hawks who nest within 100 yards of the house who
 have done so for many years,we leave dead rats and mice on back lawn for them,so they often land and walk around the lawn checking out to see if any rats etc laying around,come right up to the house and
 have got so used to us and our animals,nothing seems to bother them now,its amazing to see our chooks
 wandering around the lawn and a large hawk wandering around the lawn at same time,chooks keep an eye
 on the hawks for sure but dont seem be too bothered having a hawk in their space,hawks dont seem bothered if our cats wander onto the lawn either,amazingly these animals just seem to have accepted each
 other and dont bother each other or seem concerned about each other too much.
 last night we had a hawk wandering around the lawn again with chooks and cats all within a few yards of each other for over half an hour,this particaler hawk is quite tame i can actually get quite close to it and
 feed it,wont take food out my hand but will let me get within few yards if it can see i have food for it,they
 really are an impressive bird up close eh!!we got bit of our own private wild life park round here as we often have wild ducks /pukecos wandering around the yard as well,they all seem to know we mean them
 no harm,so must feel very safe to get this close to us and our animals,you certainly wont see this type of animal behaviour in town.
 chhers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
Re: brown hawks down
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
We have a woman just up the road. She took over the ducks. They, the ducks, used to live on a dam at the end of the street but a new subdivision destroyed the dam but the ducks stayed and ended up on her lawn because she fed them. I counted 27 once. Funny thing they don't seem to make any mess. Maybe I just don't notice it.
Right now there are none about. I wonder if they have just gone away for the summer or they have been taken by local cats. Never see any dead ducks as road kill. They always had right of way on the road with all the local people stopping to let them go by.
Sometimes a couple would drop on to my lawn and welcome they were. You could get to about six feet away from them.

Another thing we see are seagulls.  In strong winds they use the motorway valley to go north and south, very quickly with the wind and very slowly against. Sometimes flying hard and going backwards. They are very smart using gusts and eddies to make progress into a gale.

PS. When we were in the Sounds we were visited by the Hectors dolphins. They are small about 1200 mms long with a rounded dorsal fin. They seem to be attracted to my boat and the swim round it. On occassion we have quietly lead them over to the Dolphin watch boat so the tourists can get a good look at them.
Anyway this time they were very playfull leaping out of the water, sort of tail walking and splashing back in.
No tourist boat so they did not see it.  Was raining steadily at the time so no photos.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:48:46 AM by Novagun »

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
have watched those little dophins many times in the sounds awsume little guys,we used be able to touch n pat the dolpins at lower stuart island they used get right out of water on beach just to come see you when we were hunting down there,apparently they dont do it ant more too many people going down there now
 proberly n got wary of people from experience of too many idiots.harrassing them etc.many people today are phuckwits when comes to animals Hugh.we had huge nasty bull here some years back,didnt take much to set him off eh,he was known to just walk right thru fences when pissed off,had young idiot worked for us
 who dispite being told many times to leave the nasty bugga alone,insisted on teasing him from other side the fence,til one day the bull had enuf mate.there was double barbed wire electrified fencing around that
 bull paddock,the big bugga just put his head down and pushed whole fence over and took off after the
 young idiot til he had him bailed up on tank stand,then proceeded to demolish the tank stand to get at the
 idiot,took two big tractors to push that extremely pissed off bull away from the idiot and into another
 paddock,the guy quit next day we had that bull for many more years and never had a problem with him
 coz we left him alone eh!! couple months later he got in a brawl with two the nieghbours bulls,demolished 2 chain fence and hedge in process beating the crap out the two bulls,was bit a lad for sure.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:42:06 PM »
Talk about abject idiots. Real brainless idiots. Went for a sail this morning. Motoring down the channel into the bay and coming the other way was a paddle board. We have a young Moari chap that does a lot of it and he is as fit as rabbit. I thought here he comes. It was not him but another person probably a pakeha and no life jacket.
To my amazement on the back of the board was a toddler. A real toddler, you know still baby fat toddler say four years old and no life jacket and paddling in a channel that carries a lot of small boat traffic.
To me that was really stupid. Deep water not far from shore, boat wakes because most of the power boats wouldn't know 5 knots from a candy bar. Just stupid.