Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Have Chronograph. Will Measure!  (Read 321 times)

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
Re: Have Chronograph. Will Measure!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »
I suppose I should get one, a chrony that is. I just really don 't care what the velocity is. Just as long as I hit the target. A chrony is just another complication that I don't need. The radiata test is good enough. Should be the kahikatea test because it is more unform but it is getting pretty rare.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
chronoing a gun isnt allways bout checking the velocity its in my case allso about finging out how consistant
 those velocitys are,as the more consistant velocitys are the more accurate a gun will be,they allso very
 handy when modifying or building guns,particulally when upgrading co2 and pcp guns,how else are you
 going to find out if all the time spend doing so has been worth while,and the performance you chasing is
 actually happening,if you reload ammo for fire arms you need to know whats happening as far as velocitys
 go if you going to end up with accurate ammo thats within the reloading specifications used to load the
 ammo.you cant do any these things without a chrono,
 cheers mike

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 11:15:45 PM »
I see them as a health monitor. Inconsistent speed in an airgun can point to a problem.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 08:19:36 AM »
I recall reading in a South African magazine that a drop in velocity of 20 fps in an airgun results in a drop in point of impact of 1/10,000 of an inch at 30 yards. So a drop of 40 fps might be 2/10,000 of an inch. I suppose the change is linear. That is why I don't really want a chrony.  I make the assumption that the author of the article was right.
Anyway the article suites my mindset so I chose to believe it.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 11:34:22 PM »
Of course 20 fps a drop in a bucket, but if it was say 80 or 90 fps it would point to something sinister, but you may not notice it, in fact you may even shout out to your wife from your basement range, "sweet cheeks, my gun is shooting sweet tonight" as the broken spring intertwines on itself.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
what many wont believe is that most firearms chrono lot less consistantantly than they believe a 22 lr hi vel
 cartridge even match quality ones have more than 15fps variation from shot to shot most lot worse some
 big name 22lr ammo i have chronoed over the years varys as much as 100fps plus out same 50 round box
 with the cheap budget stuff many use today,which is why its not that accurate but suppurbly accurate
 ammo i have chronoed and used has been as consiatant as only 5fps variation from shoot to shoot but this
 has been very carefully reloaded ammo,factory ammo is never that good there are so many varables in
 fire arms ammo,often bullets can vary as much as 10 grains in weight in 30 caliber with 150 grain bullets
 which is why serious target shooters weigh every bullet then seperate by weight and adjust their powder
 charges to suit,most us never guna know the difference,its same with airguns but i know my regulated
 177 cal pcp rifle far out shoots an unregulated rifle as far accuracy goes,but there very little difference
 tween them at 10 meters but stretch that distance to 50/60 meters and the regulated rifle out shoots the
 other by huge margin as far as group sizes go group sizes are half size of unregulated rifle and thats
 entirerly down to the regulated rifles velocitys being only 15fps over 30 shoots compared to 150fps plus
 over 30 shots from unregulated rifle,exactly as it does with fire arms the more consistant velocitys are
 over a shot string the more consistantly accurate the rifle will be,i am not gong to get into a bun fight with any one over this issuse,but it you dont have a chrono you actually dont know the real  facts,its all just guess  work thats not based on facts eh!!consistant velocitys not the full story but part of the whole
 equasion when comes to accuracy,to ignore it is not know all the facts .
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 02:35:31 PM »
,but it you dont have a chrono you actually dont know the real  facts,its all just guess  work thats not based on facts eh!!

that's a good point. if you don't measure, how can you compare? (and improve)
also you will end up blamning a flyer or poor group on any number of other things, whereas if you're over the chrono you can see that that shot was hotter/colder than the rest.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »
they a real handy tool specially when tuning any gun firearm or airgun or building guns etc,they take all the
 guess work out of lot things,they allso lot fun,am in process checking out new batch 22lr ammo for the
 double rifle as allmost out the origional 5000 rds i purchased 30 years ago for the rifle,amazingly the new
  aussie made 37 gr hi vel ammo is so close to velocity as the 30 year old batch its surprised me,and seems
 to shoot just as accuratly and to regulation as the old batch,the aussie winchester 22lr ammo allways was
 top quality ammo so good see that unlike the US made winchester ammo the quality remains as good as
 ever,to be honest i didnt expect this,every batch 22lr ammo from same manufacter can be quite different
 so when find a particually accurate batch i usually bulk buy that batch.chrono the only way to find this out
 the double rifle only shoots to its regulation with this specific ammo as thats what was origionally regulated
 with,lucky to find the new stuff just as good,as thats not normal with 22lr ammo.
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 09:33:43 PM »
aussie made winchester has always been my go-to. subsonic, super x, laser, 555.
22 target rifles and pistols get fed eley 10x.

lately i've found aguila super-extra (cheapest ammo available. per shot)... lower SD on the chrony, which halved my vertical at 50y, but i got a shit load of horizontal the other day, and i can't really blame the wind, which means it's probably me  >:(
fucken semi's. whatya gonna do.

mike is your 30year old ammo winchester laser or something else?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:48:14 PM by Akzle »

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
just the old bushman 37gr hp hi vel at 1290fps stuff,funny tho the double rifle allso likes the 40gr aussie
 winchester lo vel ammo and shoots it to same poi out to 50yds as the hi vel never did figure out that one
 as its ammo specific to the hi vel bushman it was regulated with as down to last 1800 out the 5000 case
 bushman got when regulated the rifle just got couple boxs the latest bushman to chrono and see if its
 as good as the 30 yr old stuff and at same velocity etc,let you know how that test goes and if still shoots
 to same poi.
 cheers mike