Username:

Password:

Author Topic: DIY dry pac for hand pump  (Read 67 times)

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
DIY dry pac for hand pump
« on: February 07, 2019, 08:35:10 PM »
I'm after some advice. I have made a moisture filter for my hand pump by using some pvc conduit. The 32 mm pipe fits perfectly around the air intake, and seals off against the O rings. I used pipe glue/cement to connect the branching pipe. This project cost me only $12 as opposed to about $60 for the real deal.

The trouble is that I can smell the glue through the pumped air, and I'm thinking that I dont feel comfortable knowing that the fumes could dangerous when compressed, so I will figure out some other way to do this. Of course once they cure it might be ok, but too late i'm paranoid.

I was curious what others thought about if this was a potential disaster?
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
Re: DIY dry pac for hand pump
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:58:31 PM »
Pauly, the fumes will die away but it takes a long time. They use glued joins in waste water and down pipes and the glue for pvc pipes is pretty volatile. The glue burns. Joins in water supply pipes are crimped so that says something.  All those volatile fumes burn so there is your answer. Compressed to 3 or 4000 psi could make them something nasty.

What about superglue. That cures pretty quickly and the fumes although very nasty go quickly and you use so little of it.

I know it is good to make something yourself and beat the profiteers but for $60.00 ?

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:52:39 PM »
It seemed such  good fortune that the 32 mm pipe fitted perfectly and seated on the O rings, that it wasn't right to spend all that good money. We use a desiccant at work, so that was free.

I think I will make a cube of delrin, and screw fix it onto the pipe, with a touch of JB Weld. Then I can thread a fitting into it.

OR

I could drill the bg hole into a piece of delrin, leaving some bulk on one side to tap into. Trouble is drilling it accurately. (28 mm)
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:27:12 AM »
one thing to consider these glues all made from oil based products and we all know how oil and hpa react,
 dont know if this is relevent Paul but caution is better than possibly destroying a gun or losing possibly
 a finger or two if the two react,possibly you could get the plastic welded by panel beater as they weld
 plastic car bumpers and bike parts etc,,you can weld any plastic i believe as long as you use same type
 plastic to do welding,they now weld all plastic pipe used for water pipes on site,like the idea you came up
 with as proper dry pacs far too expensive for what they consist of,i could proberly machine you up an alloy
 tube mate,no glue required there,or make one up from alloy tubing,give me call and we can kick that
 option around for you and see what we can come up with.
 cheers mike

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
thanks Mike, will do.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510