Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Alloy pellets? waste of time?  (Read 134 times)

Offline altair

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
Alloy pellets? waste of time?
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »
Got a Stoeger A30 gas ram air rifle.
Supposedly shoots at 800 fps. with a .22pellet. So I'm guessing realistically its between 6-700 fps.
Have tried a few different types of pellet, the best by far are the Stoeger X Hunt 16g, but these are pointed so go right through the Mynas etc. And get the occasional "bouce off" if I hit a wing, hate this cos i don't want the bird to actually suffer in pain.
Accupell 15g seem good,accurate, but also occasionally bounce off.
Worst pellet by a country mile are the Gamo Magnum, read all the hype on them but ended up using about 20 and biffing the rest. Terrible accuracy.
Wondering about trying a domehead alloy pellet, maybe that will hit a little harder, by possibly bringing the fps up a bit?
Using an online calc I get about 17 ft lbs which should be heaps for Blackbirds and Mynas I would have thought?
What do you guys think of alloy pellets in .22?
Cheers

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy pellets? waste of time?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »
I have tried the H&N green Field target trophy pellets. Had some in .22 & .177

.22 were very good in the P rod and quite acceptable in the FX Bobcat.
.177 were really good in the air arms S510 and in an FX cyclone.

only tested out to 20m though. They will be effected easily by wind, but worth trying. They are a lot more expensive though.

One point someone raised was what effect the harder material had on the barrels. That I don't know. So not a waste of time, and for a professional marksman ;D, you can say you are environmentally aware.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:11:55 PM »
i tryed some alloy 177 cal Paul gave me and found them surprisingly accurate in a pcp target pistol but
 havnt tryed them on mynas in a higher powered rifle,mynas can be tough buggas i hate the bloody things
 and am a serial killer of them i find a high powered 177 better than a 22 on them,i find the higher the
 velocity the better on mynas,i use polymag prediter 16 gr 22 pellets at 950 fps works well,my other 22 only
 gets bout 830fps with same pellet weight and 860 fps with 14,3 gr accupells and have killed prob thousands
 of them now with that rifle,but thats with head or center chest shots only,as found any where else just
 dosnt allways do the job on them my 177 rifle drives 10.34gr jsb domed pellets at 980fps according to
 my chrono and absolutly spiflicates them out past 50 yds,accurracy the key with any airgun,havnt chronoed
 one your rifles so cant give you an accurate velicity to expect from one,just find a domed pellet thats very
 accurate and learn to shoot rifle well and try keep your shots at 25yds max and it do the job if you put the
 pellets in right place gamo mag pellets only good for melting down to make sinkers most gamo pellets the same.
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »
Mike mate you should pck up a 17hmr!
tiny little pills doing 2500fps, shoot like a laser within a couple hundred yards and get the plastic tip bullets and watch em disappear in a puff of fur/feathers

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:29:25 PM »
Got a Stoeger A30 gas ram air rifle.
Supposedly shoots at 800 fps. with a .22pellet. So I'm guessing realistically its between 6-700 fps.
Have tried a few different types of pellet, the best by far are the Stoeger X Hunt 16g, but these are pointed so go right through the Mynas etc. And get the occasional "bouce off" if I hit a wing, hate this cos i don't want the bird to actually suffer in pain.
Accupell 15g seem good,accurate, but also occasionally bounce off.
Worst pellet by a country mile are the Gamo Magnum, read all the hype on them but ended up using about 20 and biffing the rest. Terrible accuracy.
Wondering about trying a domehead alloy pellet, maybe that will hit a little harder, by possibly bringing the fps up a bit?
Using an online calc I get about 17 ft lbs which should be heaps for Blackbirds and Mynas I would have thought?
What do you guys think of alloy pellets in .22?
Cheers

My calculations make that 12fpe at the muzzle. I've never seen a pellet bounce off a bird (except for a well under-gunned 17 on a magpie's breastplate at unrealistic disctance)

fpe=mv^2*gn/450240
velocity squared (fps) times projectile mass (grains) divide by 450240.

What distances are you shooting at?

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »
Never tried alloy pellets but logic: the combination of weight - frontal area - drag at muzzle velocity doesn't add up to a pellet that will carry its way very far. What is the point in that sort of shooting?

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 08:55:03 AM »
without a doubt you right Hugh bout distance with light alloy pellets,they will lose velocity much faster than
 a heavier lead pellet so simply wont travel as far and will have rain bow like trajectorys after very short distances of travel,bout only use i can see for them is to boost velocitys in co2 pistols at shorter distances,
 they came about due to some places in US and other countrys banning lead for duck shooting and small
 game hunting using airguns,in some US states lead bullets and airgun pellets are now banned along with
 shotgun pellets etc,so lead free ammo their only choice now,same here with duck hunting shorguns.
 down side shooting lead free alloy pellets in you favourite airgun is they leave residue behind in barrel,this
 must be removed before going back to lead pellets in that rifle or accuracy will suffer due to the alloy
 residue in barrel stripping lead off lead pellets and then building up in barrels etc,same thing as happens
 with firearms when changing over to lead bullets,the copper fouling from jacketed bullets has to be
 removed before shooting lead bullets to maintain accuracy,or same effects will happen,as to any real
 advanages coming from using these light weight alloy lead free pellets!! i cant see any advanages in
 using them in rifles either.Tend to agree with Akzle on this one i have never seen a pellet bounce off a
 myna either,but they seem be bit harder to kill than some other birds at times,proberly just tough buggas
 eh!!as have had on occassions had to shoot the odd one twice,have shot plenty with a 8fpe co2 rifle with
 no issuses at shorter distances but they so wary round here that dosnt happen these days lucky if can get
 closer to them round here than 40 yds and thats getting further all the time,thats why i like my hi
 velocity pcp rifles i can reach out and touch them qiute some distance with these rifles,when cant the 17
 HMR will come out again and that day is fast approaching as magpies now on to me big time as well.
 cheers mike

Offline altair

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »
Cheers guys, sounds like I need to stick with the pellets I have.
I just used an online calc for the FPE which came up as about 16-17, so if my rifle is only 12 FPE thats disappointing really, but never mind.
I'm shooting a max distance of 18 metres, I sit in the spare room with the ranchslider open, and my backdrop is a solid timber fence. I don't go behind the fence as we have heaps of fruit trees etc and this time of year can't see a thing with all the foliage.

Out of interest the wife and I flew to Auckland on the weekend, on the drive home I noticed the Mynas up Hamiltonish way look a lot different to ours?
Up there the Mynas are smaller, more like a Starling size, much darker plumage. Maybe I have been shooting juveniles down here, but our Mynas dwarf our Starlings, and Thrush, ..maybe the buggers are a slightly different breed? Still have the white wings on flight, and Myna features though. And the pricks sit just on the edge of the road, hardly move for cars. Maybe there are a few different subspecies?

The bouncing off the wing thing, have had it a few times, I'm guessing its a wing hit, as they get bowled over, but then run away..it happens when they move a bit as I'm firing I guess? I go for chest shots. Those wings are pretty tough.

Cheers for your thoughts guys

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
you never going to know what the true fpe your rifle produces unless you get it chronoed with all the different pellets you using,then calculate the fpe from the actual chrono velocitys,most good 22 springers i
 have chroned give approx 750 fps with 14.3 gr pellets this works out at approx 17 fpe.you rifle should be
 in this fpe range i would think as this bout average for a 22 springer today.they allso take at lest 500
 pellets to shoot in before they settle down to their full power etc.
 cheers mike