Username:

Password:

Author Topic: last days of summer  (Read 152 times)

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
last days of summer
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:29:16 PM »
best time the year for a hunter gatherer,spent last two days havesting blackberrys and allways carry the little 22 rimfire double rifle with me on these expeditions as there allways rabbits lurking around the edges of the blackberry bushs and the odd feral cat lurking stalking the rabbits,the 5 acre paddock over my back fence has bout 3 acers of blackberry clumps the farmer just controls but never has any intention of cleaning up,its bit steep so the cows dont like this paddock that much and grass not that good coz cant fertilize it anyway,so its just fenced off and shut up,but blackberrys and rabbits love it,got 12kgs berrys this year just off bout half the berry patchs,so looking forward to many blackberry pies and lot home made blackberry ice cream over the winter,,there 2 less feral cats around to chase my chooks,and 5 rabbits in freezer,been pretty cool 2 days,now the apple trees need picking the plums all picked the last the tomatoes to pick then we onto making plum and blackbery jam,plum and tomatoe sauce,get some more sun dryed tomatoes and apples done before the weather turns to shit,we have cut and stored 33 cubes firewood,so looking forward to a nice laxy winter and warm fires,going to be interesting to see how well the solar electric system goes when sunlite hours get shorter but dont expect too much to change there as its worked so well when we had 2/3 really cloudy periods over summer,that we havent had a power bill over $18 since october for any month including several periods without grid power due to power cuts etc,duck season coming up as is the roar so plenty hunting coming up,my favourite duck pond only just over the back fence in the blackberry padock and my fallow and red deer hunting bout 5/6 km down the road,who the hell wants to live in town eh!!
 cheers mike

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Re: last days of summer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 09:03:54 PM »
Sounds of contentment.

Never been much into blackberry, but this year i've noticed a lot of plants, and have partaken of the tenderest berries when I can. very nice.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:07:23 PM »
You live on Paradise mike....
NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
life is what you make it and want it to be,we live a very uncomplicated and stress free life and thats how we like it,many today so far in debt to credit companys and banks they never going to have a stress free life,its so easy to buy things on credit using some ones money today that building up a huge debt you struggle just the stay ahead of let alone reduce is how many live today,and it dosnt need to be that way its really just all about managing the money you earn properly to get the most from that money without going into debit you dont really need to be in,learning to live within the income you generate is some thing entirerly different to living on borrowed money,like many rural people we are largely self sufficient we generate over 90% our own, electricity and can go completly off grid if we need to,we grow 99% our own fruit and vegs,meat and shoot much our meat,so we dont actually need go town to buy very much of any thing very often,if some thing breaks or needs repairing/building etc we can do most these things very well our selves if needs be, so why pay some one else to do some thing when you can do it your self eh!!people often make their lives far too complicated than they need be today,put far too much stress into their lives over things that dont really matter,people allways bitching bout cost fruit and veg etc but wasnt that long ago every home in nz had a vegy garden and few truit trees and grew most their own friut and veg,its no longer like that today,simplily coz people got lazy and would rather spend their time going shopping or spending money they dont have on credit cards buying shit they dont really need,or going on holidays they cant afford on credit cards etc,the days the average kiwi was an independate self help type person have long gone now so they get the stressful life they have made for them selves and deserve.
 Personally i would rather have spent the very sifnificant amout of money i put into making my home self sufficient in electrity than on a holiday overseas,as the holiday will end up just being a memory,but i still have my self sufficient electricity supply and its paid for too,we recently purchased a brand new car and its paid for too,tho like most we have credit cards we have no debt on them and never do either coz we pay the bill when it comes in and is due,infact the bank owes us money on these cards not the other way around like most have today,people make their lives far too complicated in todays comsumer driven economy and then get the comstant stress that comes from spending money they dont have on credit cards,so its no wonder to me why home ownership in nz has dropped to an all time low,coz you simplily cant have your cake and eat it as well,its all just a matter of prioritys when it really comes down to it,as its never been easy for most us to buy and own that first home but to myself and most i know it was allways our first and most important priority from a young age,while i appreciate home prices in the larger citys have got plainly rediculous and certainly make it very difficult for young first home buyers today in citys it can still be accheived if they want it badly enuf,tho the sheer size of the morgage required would scare the hell outa me and be difficult to pay in the usual way,but its no different in any large city any where today its the price you pay for wanting to live in these citys today unfortunatly,as Pauly knows my home isnt a palace,just small rural cottage in the country,but where it is thats special and allows me to live the life style we have and thats what really counts when all said n done.as i said life is what you make it.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »
Sounds to me that it is high time you came to the city for a look. In fill housing everywhere. No room for gardens because the lawn of the original house now has another one built on it.

Builders of new subdivisions. New houses going up that are being shodily built. Weather boards are not mitred at the corners now. Not even butt joined just gaps and raw ends sprayed with spray can primer and covered with a tingle. Spray can on rough sawn end grain radiata losp timber just is no good. Design faults with low pitched roofs that must admit water in our horizontal rain. Architectural designs that make routine maintenance impossible without special high access gear. Look at grass growing in the spouting.  Paint your own house is becoming a thing of the past. The houses are built of firewood so they are not going to last.  All the wanabes have a four wheel drive ford ranger. No tow bar and no mud on the chassis. Never go off the tarseal but you realy need a four wheel drive in suburban Wellington.  The fashion colour for houses is grey. Good old drab grey.

Dvinme, you just don't know the joys that you are missing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:48:47 AM by Novagun »

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 03:07:55 PM »
i know exactly what you mean the world today is all about illusions,its not how well some thing is made but just how it looks i am a country boy yet i got rid of my 4x4 truck several years ago coz there wasnt any tar sealed road around here to use it on eh!!no point in having an off road truck if there no curbs and gutters to drive over to see if the 4x4 system works, i believe you can buy spray cans of artificial mud just in case you want some thing dirty to wash off eh!!its a funny old world mate,i wonder if they build houses the way they do just to get another industry going to fix em up,proberly more money in building maintainence than the actual building process today,lot probs in building industry today caused by too many uni trained self appointed experts who dont have a clue bout building cept they have paper qualifications that prove nothing cept they spent 3/5 years on the piss and drugs partying at uni,todays world full so called experts on just bout every thing,just coz they say they experts and too many dumb phucs believe them,internet full them,
 government kiwi build houses a bloody good example of a horse being designed by a committee that turned out to be a camel instead.
 cheers mike

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 03:09:56 PM »
i know its a camel cause every one got the hump about it eh!!
cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:40:29 PM »
I hope you have a carboy or pot-still to put all that fruit to use!

bottled a half crate of tomato sauce the other day, and the plants are all still dripping.

got fruit for africa so a cider press is on my to-do list.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »
tomatoe and plum sauce next on the list followed by pickels,cider press sounds like a great idea,as allready make beer and ginger beer,still got small freezer full last years frozen tomatoes,will use them for sauce,runner beans still producing well.thought had lost then couple months back when we got that cold spell,but they came back fine,but will be getting too cold for the bees soon,n that be the end beans and anything else requiring pollination i guess,but been good growing year.people today just dont know the joy of planting food plants watching,tending them grow/thive them produce natures bounty,they lost that connection to the food they eat and the earth that makes it all possible for them to live,3/4 this countrys population all live in the sewer they call Auckland and they can bloody stay there too,most them got absolutly no idea where their food comes from or how or where its produced for them,they sinking under, a growing pile of the garbage they produce,then trying to hide it in huge holes that then polute every thing within miles from chemicals leaching into their ground water supplies from their own waste,its the same for every city in nz and the rest the world,cant even go into the bush today without coming accross bloody garbage left behind by hikers and trampers etc,there non where in this country you wont find garbage left behind by humans today and in growing quantities as well.Clean green nz just a bloody great lie be a joke if wasnt so serious,picked up two large rubbish bags of plastic/glass/allinium bottles cans etc and other rubbish thrown from cars on my little side road people now use for a short cut tween towns the other day in less than 4kms of road side,never used be that way til few years ago,now i do that every month,the closer i go to the main road the more rubbish i find.
 spend more time on hunting trips these last few years picking up and properly disposing of other phuckwits rubbish than i do hunting these days in the bush,makes me so bloody angery that people just dont care anymore and have so little respect for our enviroment,the buggers steal the emergancy food and medical supplies from bush huts,leave them filthy evan burn the brooms and leave all the water taps on to drain water tanks before they leave huts today,leave all their rubbish behind as well,no wonder i dont like people eh!!trouble is no matter where you go or how far its off the beaten track,its the same every where today.
 cheers mike

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 09:27:57 PM »

Just plain depressing. I see it everywhere in the city. Bottles and cans and Macdonald packets poked into roadside hedges. Dog shit in the park. The city council provides poo bags and people can't be bothered using them. Dogs destroy the tennis balls they chase and people just leave them in the park and there are rubbish tins in the car park. Plastic on the marina break water.
I am another old bugger walking around picking up.  I am not winning the battle by a long shot  but I tell myself I am doing something useful when I am out with the dog.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 08:26:11 AM »
we never guna win this one Hugh,people today make all the right noises bout this but truth is most dont walk the walk and simplily just seem to care any more mate,sign the times we live in today in our throw away society.
 cheers mike

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
Be the change you want to see in the world. Good shit guys.
The world needs more people who aren't parasitic shitheels.

Took the kids out to Whatipu beach the other day, firstly surprised how many bloody people there were (townies - can't drive for shit, especially on gravel)
But managed to fill my 20 litre lunch pack with plastic crap dropped or left. Fucken disgusting. I hate plastic with a passion.

Offline Akzle

• Mana 17
  • professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »
And auckland is spreading in all directions like a fucken cancer.

I'm gonna pack my swag and head south in the next few years I reckon.

Offline Dvlnme

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »
plenty room for good self reliant people in the Naki mate,land and country houses still cheap enuf the average working familly can afford them,plenty good buys at well under $300 thou,plenty small holdings 2/10 acres still under $200,000 if you know where to look and dont mind being bit further from town mate.
 cheers mike