Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Ngaio Rifle Club News  (Read 176638 times)

Offline GrahamA

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Ngaio Rifle Club News
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »
Wellington now has two airgun clubs - WAG and now NRC.  At NRC we shoot alongside rimfires at 25yds indoors on Monday and Tuesday evenings, on Tuesday afternoons for those who can, and FT on an outdoor venue at Granada North every Saturday from 10am until about 5pm.  NRC has about 85 members, a constitution and certified Range Officers.

Despite the GN site being where you'd expect a lot of wind, the depression we shoot in is surprisingly sheltered from both NW and SE winds.  Our leader, John Martin is a man of action and has big plans to develop the site as a training area and ultimately to hold qualifiers there.

Why delay?  Join today.  Sub is $25 and range fees are $5 for the Khandallah indoor range and $10 for the GN FT site. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:33:17 PM by digit »
GrahamA
No air rifles anymore.  5 year history:

Gamo Socom 1000 .177 3-9x s
Daisy 953 .177 6-24x
Cometa Fenix .177 6-24x
Weihrauch HW98 .177 4-16x
Air Arms Pro Sport .177 8-32x

BSA Sportsman HV .22 3-9x
Hatsan AT44X-10 .177 8-32x
Steyr LG110FT .177 10-50x

Offline Dajo

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
Re: Ngaio Rifle Club - Airgun divison - Wellington
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »
What's happening at Grenada this Saturday (2nd March) Graham ? Not sure if I"m going to make it, I am fast getting booked out.
DaveJ.

Offline scout

• Mana 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
Would Certainly be better to have a higher Membership fee than range fee, Once upon a time members didnt pay range fees. John could consider a Higher Fee for NON-Members. Just my 2c worth ( probably doesnt stack up against a Tenner  :D )

Offline (pink)MIST

• Global Moderator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
Thats pretty much what every other club does, piakos is $3 for members, $5 if you're not, and $30 per year. Keep it good and people wont mind parting with the $$
(pink)MIST - its what happens when you hit a soft target :)

NZAFTA President

Offline Nuke

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:13:45 AM »
I have been asked to put this message from "Bossy"(the man behind the plan) up. Range fees are $5 until further notice. This could change in the future but that will depend on what happens with the site/council and many other aspects. We are in early days with this FT range so just come along and enjoy the shooting while its hot.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:10:44 AM »
I will second that Graham. It's an escape from the city, but not far to go.

Paul.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline (pink)MIST

• Global Moderator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
Re: Ngaio Rifle Club News
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »
Congrats to NRC on becoming NZAFTA Affiliated.

Your qualifying round, as requested by your club rep, has now been added to the calendar for Sunday 25th August.
Interested to see how the site looks myself, but its always good to have somewhere different/extra to shoot at :)

Sounds (from what Ive heard) like you guys are having a blast, so it should be a good round to attend :)
(pink)MIST - its what happens when you hit a soft target :)

NZAFTA President

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:02:41 AM »
The NRC range construction is steadily progressing. More lanes being added and facilities being improved.
Some of the lanes are very hard shots, two especially, but there are lanes for the less accomplished to bang away on with success.
Andrew considers the lanes should be hard because we or rather they need to practice for the worlds.
Bossy made the comment that you should be able to hit only a percentage of the targets otherwise the course is too easy. I forget what the percentages were but something like 70% for PCP and 50% for springers. Opinions on this from the experienced would be appreciated; just for my own interest because I don't need to hit all the targets to enjoy the day.

The surprise of the day was a 12 year old boy, may be 13,who got loose with Bossy's FX. He just knocked them all down. Had to have three shots at the ridiculously hard one but he got it. To look at the young chap on the mound one would say he had been doing it for years.

I am not in favour of pushing him. At that age he should not be subject to any pressure but enjoyment. His parents are supportive not pushy. That young chap has great potential as long as he keeps having fun.
Last time I saw him a couple of weeks ago he was banging away on the beginners lane with a Daisy 953.

The other surprise was an elderly friend of mine who came up with his BSA Meteor with a 40x 20 on it.
Slyrod gave him a shot with his FX and he was knocking them over. Anyway I got him back to the real world with the Hatsan. He got too close to the scope and ended up with a Weatherby eyebrow. He didn't bleed to death so I reckon he will be back.

Offline GrahamA

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »

Andrew reading the Riot Act prior to shooting.

Range Officer, Willie.  First Aid cabinet.  Sighting range and rifle rack beyond.

Shooting under way.  Car parking beyond.

Dave showing how it should be done.

My turn next.

There are plenty of lanes, level, downhill and uphill.  25 modified Gamo targets.  Plenty of car parking.  Always a Range Officer.  Great company.  FUN!  Do come and try it.  We shoot every Saturday from 10am until about 4pm.

I'll post directions on how to find us soon, and confirm the range fees, which I think are currently $5.

Basically the range is in Granada North, up the hill above the Tawa turnoff from SH1.   

GrahamA

Daisy 953 .177 6-24x
Cometa Fenix .177 6-24x

Offline Nuke

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
.... I didn't even see the camera, would have made myself look respectable  :P

Offline Davey

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
It's not like you're naked.  :P
The spreadsheet guy.

Offline Nuke

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:08 PM »
Well.. there is a lil leg showing  :o

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
There was definitely a pose thing going on though.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Shaqa

• Mana 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
Gday Graham. Is the club planning a shoot on Easter Saturday? Also, have you got the exact address/coordinates for the range, and is the $5 range fee for non club members as well?

Offline GrahamA

• Mana 4
    • View Profile
Re: Ngaio Rifle Club FT site - getting there
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »
Hi Neil

The range fee is the same for everyone.  It's planned to shoot every Saturday until further notice.  this Saturday will be the sixth in a row.

The site is close to where WAG held that wind-blown qualifier last year, but in a much more sheltered area to the south.  In all the winds so far, some quite fresh, NE and SW, the site is sheltered enough that aiming off the KZ hasn't been necessary even with a 12 ft/lb er.

Getting there

Turn off SH1 at the Tawa turnoff and very soon turn north into Takapu Rd.  Follow that until a BP truck stop is on the right and immediately turn right after that up Jamaica Drive.  Follow that up until turning left into Caribbean Drive.  Follow that to the top, past playing fields on the right until you come to a closed but unlocked steel tube gate.  Close the gate after you and continue up the sealed narrow road almost to a water tank before turning left up a short rutted track Soon to be altered) and then carry on up a grassy track until you see cars parked on the right.  You've arrived!

There will be a warning sign at the gate and a red flag on your right as you turn off the sealed track.

All our targets are much modified Gamo knock-downs, painted Varmint brown and with the KZ unpainted.  There is a 40mm strip of white, yellow or red duct tape across the lower portion of the faceplates to help conspicuity and call the shooting mode.

Lanes and the parking area are all cut grass.  Lanes are level, uphill and downhill.  No tree-mounted  targets yet but some very difficut uphill ground-mounted ones.

We're trying very hard to develop this into a great FT site for frequent use.  At the moment it's a practice site but some competition days are planned soon.

We look forward to seeing you there.  So far we've had visits from Dave, Jeff and Andrew and from many of the old WAG wags.   
GrahamA

Daisy 953 .177 6-24x
Cometa Fenix .177 6-24x