Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Edgun Matador  (Read 44285 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
Edgun Matador
« on: March 06, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
The delivery girl dropped of a rather large package for me from Russian post today...

Ed has sent me a whole bunch of COOL Edgun merchandise to apologise for the shipping delay on my Matador! Very kind of him as it was not his fault at all.. the European firearms import/export rules changed while it was in transit through Finland which left it hanging in limbo sitting on Ed's Agent's desk for 6 months while the appropriate people sorted the paperwork.. not a fast fix when government agencies were involved.
I don't blame anyone but the EU bureaucratic idiots placing yet more restrictions on the worlds citizens relating to firearm ownership...
Ed has been very helpful throughout my ordeal and rang me a couple of nights ago to make sure all was well.

Well now he has me smiling with excitement once again... check out the cool Edgun clothing and accessories.. I'm particularly fond of the coffee cups.. they have a Milldot reticle lazer printed inside the bottom of the mug! Love the tees and the  polar fleeced lined hoodie is real nice! All great quality stuff!

Had to be done.... A hot chocolate for my wife and a coffee for me...

THANKS AGAIN ED!!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:50:47 PM by Wingman »

Offline septictank

• Mana 13
    • View Profile
Re: Edgun Matador
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »
Swag! Very nice. When do we get a rifle review? It must be good as usually your reviews come out very smartly.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
Swag! Very nice. When do we get a rifle review? It must be good as usually your reviews come out very smartly.

Very soon... This review is like no other, you guys are in for something very special indeed... It is worth the wait.. as is the rifle...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:35:06 PM by Wingman »

Offline scout

• Mana 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »
Sheesh Mate, I recently aquired an espresso machine and have been taking pride in preparing coffee's to my own taste, but once again Wingman shows us how its REALLY done.
 Looking forward to that review bud.

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
Don't mean to butt in, but I also noticed the espresso machine.  Coffee is one of my obsessions. Have you tried roasting your own beans? It's easy and way cheaper.
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »
Don't mean to butt in, but I also noticed the espresso machine.  Coffee is one of my obsessions. Have you tried roasting your own beans? It's easy and way cheaper.

Feel  free to but in, that's what a forum is all about! Yea that's a couple of my machines.. I collect old crap.. namely old Italian espresso machines ::) No I don't roast as I get them cheep due to the amount I buy each week for my Cafe.. Well that and home roasted coffee doesn't come close to the flavour and consistency of traditional Petroncini Drum roasted beans ;)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:53:49 PM by Wingman »

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:33:12 PM »
Here's a new R3 review from Ted to tie you over until my one is ready..

Edgun Matador R3 .25 Squirrel Hunting Review

Offline (pink)MIST

• Global Moderator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »
love the detail on the coffee, very patriotic.... love the hot chocolate topping even more, birds on branches, how fitting that when finished all you will see is a reticle :)
(pink)MIST - its what happens when you hit a soft target :)

NZAFTA President

Offline stiglitz

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
Very nice airgun, I'd really like to know the process of bringing one in, could you please tell the process or PM me, cheers.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »
Very nice airgun, I'd really like to know the process of bringing one in, could you please tell the process or PM me, cheers.

They are simply, perfection...  Mine is the standard version not the long version like Teds R3 above^ so even more compact.. Will P/M you with my details to purchase one.

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »
And so the reviewing begins...

I donít remember ever being as excited as the day my brand new Edgun Matador R3 (latest model) in .22cal finally arrived.
So I am now the proud owner of the only Edgun in New Zealand but now the exportation to here is sorted for Ed, he is keen to send a few more our way!

Air freighted in a custom made plywood shipping create with what seemed like a thousand screws securing the lidÖ with the lid eventually off I carefully removed all the cardboard and polystyrene beans and lifted out the short custom made green padded soft case, wrapped in polystyrene sheet, which was in turn wrapped in brown paper.

Finally removing the rifle from the case the first thing I notice is the weight. Its very light at only 2.6kgs. At 745mm the standard length Edgun Matador R3 and is also surprisingly compact.
The next thing to grab my attention was the stock, the walnut I have to mention was stunning, I wasnít expecting it to be as good as it is Iíll admit but the fit and finish is as good as the best out there.

The rifle was already filled to 200 BAR and packed with a manual containing a test card with a ragged 12mm group of 10 shots at 50 meters set at 925fps with 18.1 JSB pellets.
It was also packed with its own fill adapter and spare O rings (just about every gun maker in the world please take note! )

The Rifle has a 350bar gauge but the best results are from a 220 bar fill shot down to 120-100bar.
This is what Ed has to say about that:
Firstly,  if you have your gun working from 300 bar, it means the only thing, you can fill it up to 300 bar just once, and then you have to refill the dive tank again. The second, it sounds strange but you will have twice as less number of shots from 300 down to 200 bars than from 200 to 100 bars. They work with higher pressure, it will only effective from the point of view of air consumption, the proclamation about standard pressure of 300 bars from other gun makers is just a kind of advertising nothing else. You can fill Matador with 300 bar, no problem, no explosion, nothing but ineffective air consumption.
I am concerned about the safety of my clients and all the reservoirs are tested. And few reservoirs from every new delivery of the aluminium tubes for making them are tested with as much pressure as I can achieve. My reservoirs are tested at 450 bar, though I recommend to use them with the pressure no more then 240-250 bars. According to calculation they are safe up to the pressure of 1 000 bar. In the real world I could get only 650 bar and the reservoir remained hermetic. Even when I have the reservoirs with the wall thickness of 2.5 mm, now they are all 3.5 mm.

The trigger was set a little heavy for my liking with a huge first stage pull so I spent a few minutes resetting it to a short smooth first stage with a nice light release, not too light as it is a hunting rifle.. Considering the design of this trigger unit with all its moving parts and linkage it is now a very nice trigger easily comparable to my Steyr LG110 trigger.

The test card Ed supplied stated the rifle was set to 925fps but over my chrony it was only shooting 890fps.. Possibly the air temp/altitude variation when it was set up and tested at but all accounts show these bullpups shoot the 18.1gr JSBs the most accurate between 920 and 950 fps.. so a small tweak on the hammer spring adjustment screw shown below and it is now shooting 930fps.

The Matador is extremely quiet and has the most efficient shroud I have ever heard on a PCP, the older model R2.5 Matador had a loud "ping" signature but the new R3 certainly does not.. When I first fired it I thought it was out of air or it was set less than 12ftlbs.. yes its that quiet.. the assertive smack of the 18.1gr pellet on target is far louder than the muzzle noise on this rifle.

As a obsessive compulsive modder the Edgun was probably the worst airgun I could have bought. Ed has got this thing so finely tuned and refined and seemingly bugless it requires absolutely no mods to better the shooting experience unlike any other rifle I've owned..

With that said I fine tooth combed this puppy and previously searched on the net for any niggles or anything that could be improved on but only came up with this..
The closing of the bolt is super smooth but it has a bit of resistance in the last lock up stage which felt like a pellet that didnít want to enter the rifling..
This resistance is actually caused by the lock up detent ball dragging over the sharp edged slide on its way to the hole it locks into.

Courtesy of the Edgun forums technical advise this is a quick fix by removing the sharp edge with a file creating a small ramp for the detent ball to follow smoothly.
Job done and the bolt lock up is now super slick.

Ed keeps in very close relationships with his customers and appreciates feedback taking any valid suggested improvements to his rifles seriously, he implicates them almost over night should he see it fit so Iím sure this little imperfection will be taken care of by him in the near future.

I fitted a Falcon Menace 6-18x56 scope on UTG high picatinny rings. The size of the scope complements the compactness of the bullpup but its almost as heavy as the rifle itself!
Im not sure if Iíll keep it on there or eventually replace it with something else..

After zeroing the scope at 25 meters I shot several thumbnail sized groups and some not so good groupsÖ something seemed inconsistent affecting the point of impact my first thought was the new scope rings but with a re-torque the random fliers didnít stop.
A barrel clean and a few shots over the chrony didnít show anything out of the ordinary either so I decided to remove the suppressor to check for possible pellet strikes.. Looking over the rifle very carefully as I stripped it I noticed the cylinder was touching the underside of the shroud at the front knurled section of the gauge coverÖ

Now this could defiantly cause the POI problems I had.
What better chance to do a total strip down to get to know my new rifle. With just a couple of Allen keys the Matador can be stripped in minutes. It is all very simple but well engineered and brutally robust and rugged. It reminded me of one of my favourite engineering quotes from the inventor of the world famous AK47 assault rifle..
"All that is complex is not useful. All that is useful is simple." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Something I noticed was as soon as I took it out of its stock it the shroud and cylinder had moved and now has plenty of clearance again.. as soon as I removed the trigger group the cause was evident.

The cylinder is actually ďfree floatedĒ in the cradle that mounts the stock.
The stock retaining screw has been pushing into the bottom of the cylinder cradle pushing it upward into the cylinder moving it toward the shroud. The cause? Iím not too sure, possibly a wrong length of cap screw used to mount the stock or maybe the stocks thickness varies from rifle to rifle? I will mention it to Ed and see what his reply is.
What ever the case I fitted a small machine washer under the head of the cap screw
and it was a quick easy fix. 

With a new understanding of the inner workings of my rifle I reassembled it and re-zeroed the scope.. Much more like it! The groups were spot on and no more random clusters..
I filled it to 220 bar and fired from the benchrest 50 consecutive shots at 50 meters, 10 shots per target and hereís the result..

The 100m and 150m groups are just as impressive!
100m

150m

In short to explain why the Edgun has so much appeal to me is it fits everything I want in a rifle... It is simple, handmade, reliable, accurate beyond anyone's expectations, light, powerful, efficient and compact. 70+ shots per fill at 35+FPE is amazing from such a small tubed rifle. It embodies what many think an airgun should be. It isn't overly complex, but is on the forefront of performance. It may be expensive as hell, but it does its job very very well. I would go as far as saying itís the most ground breaking piece of firearm engineering to come out of Russia since the Kalashnikov!

More to follow....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:25:49 AM by Wingman »

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:14:03 PM »

Offline scout

• Mana 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »
OMG,OMG,OMG  :-* :-* :-* :P :P :P

But i gotta ask, why the h#*ll didn't you slip it into a bikini for those on location photo's  ;)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:32 PM »
OMG,OMG,OMG  :-* :-* :-* :P :P :P

But I gotta ask, why the h#*ll didn't you slip it into a bikini for those on location photo's  ;)

Sorry scout,
I wanted the pics to give the " Natural Russian girl in wild new Zealand" look.. and my mankini was still at the dry cleaners  ???
Its not easy to find good Edgun pics on the net so I figured the world needs more Matador wallpapers for their computers..

That cool water was certainly inviting after a long walk into this location in the searing heat we are having this summer..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:02:47 AM by Wingman »

Offline scout

• Mana 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »

That cool water was certainly inviting after a long walk into this location in the searing heat we are having this summer..

[/quote]

Tell me about it, as a newbie to Rural living and livestock management (minimal), I am in this extended heat learning of all the Nasty Nasty critters that like to come out of Hiding, multiply on mass and terrorise my meals on legs.

Mate, your russian bride requires no covering up, but I bet the reason for the lack of Edgun pic's out there is that the inconsiderate owners are all too busy shooting at targets well outside the range of the average PCP. As for your Mankini, give me the name of your Dry Cleaner and I will ensure it never see the light of day  8)