Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Hunting for that pellet that equals MC sqaured  (Read 19416 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
Hunting for that pellet that equals MC sqaured
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:50:06 PM »

Right guys here goes: so far three long weeks and some very late nights worth of work and experimentations for your entertainment pleasure.

My writings below are strictly my personal opinions and findings and should be treated as such.

There is no “one” perfect pellet that will shoot perfectly in every body’s rifle; this is the hunt to find a
secondary pellet for mine without retuning the rifle. Personal results will vary hugely depending on pellet size shape and
length v/s Velocity, chamber and bore size and barrel twist rate. This thread is not to convince you that one pellet is
better than another, every one of these pellets has the capabilities to shoot one hole groups, You just need to find the
right velocity and design to suit your barrel/twist.

1: Crosman Premium Pointed 7.9gr
2: H&N Field Target Trophy 8.6gr
3: Daystate Rangemaster 8.5gr
4: Webly Accupell 7.9gr
5: Champion Fireball 9.0gr
6: Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5gr
7: JSB Predator 8.0gr
8: JSB Exact Express 7.87gr
9: RWS super Field 8.4gr
10: Gamo Pro Match 7.87gr
11: Crossman Destroyer 7.9gr
12: Crosman Premier 7.9gr
13: JSB Exact Diabolo 8.44gr
14:Airarms Diablo Field 8.4gr

I am not a F/T shooter and don’t care for shooting paper for any other reason than sighting in. This project is to find another pellet other than the 7.9 premier I have tuned my rifle for, that will print a consistent one hole group at 50 meters without any re-tuning.
I use my rifle solely for pest control and rely on very accurate pellets for long range humane kills.

The rifle: Steyr LG110 HUNTER HP
Scope: 3.5-10x50mm Leopold Mk4 tactical copy
Cal: .177- 4.5mm
Barrel twist rate: 1-15.5”
Chamber: 4.52mm
Velocity 1010fps with 7.9 Premier pellets. 24 joules
Suppressor: Custom made carbon fibre and alloy

The first 8 pellet Brands tested (in no particular order):

#1: Crosman Premier 7.9 (sorted, control pellet)
#2: Crosman Premier heavy 10.5gr
#3: RWS Super Field 8.4gr
#4: Webly Accupell 7.9gr
#5: JSB Exact Express 7.87gr
#6: Daystate Rangemaster 8.5gr
#7: JSB Predators 8.0gr
#8: Gamo Pro Match 7.87gr (Just for a laugh)

I realise most of these pellets are designed to perform in 12flb match rifles but most of these are also the best pellets money can buy so lets push their boundaries out past 1000fps and to distances that they just shouldn’t still be stable at.
This test will be run at 50 meters but when the weather permits the best of them will be grouped at 100 meters and then on to 150m. I will add this is the first time I have printed any of these pellets on paper with the exception of the Webley Accupells which was my sole ammo until I got a hold of some Crossman Premiers.
My rifle loves 4.52mm pellets, they are a nice press fit into the chamber, anything smaller drops in and rests on the lands slopping around in there like a wiggly tooth, Not Ideal in my opinion.

The rifle barrel was cleaned then seasoned with 50 premier and sighted at 50 meters. The cylinder was filled to 180bar before each pellet brand trial and 3 test shots fired on a separate target to adjust elevation only to allow for the heavier pellets. No adjustment was made for windage. The power setting was not touched, the chrono readings were taken with a fourth shot after sighting.
The next Five shots were onto the group test page with a half inch black bulls eye.
The test was done on a very still late afternoon without a breath of wind. The rifle was set up on a benchrest and the rear stock was packed up so little or no force was put on the rifle by me to rule out the majority of human error. Basically it was a case of; “line up on target, then a touch of the trigger”.
Only my 7.9gr CPL’s are sorted, the rest are picked right out of the tin.

Here’s the results…

First up was the Daystate Rangemasters 8.5gr shot at 1003fps, I measured them at 4.51mm head size.
Thanks to “shooter” for these, he handed me a packet to test not long after I bought my rifle. When I first shot them they hit my 50 meter steel gong with authority requiring only one dot of hold over as I was sighted for my 7.9 Accupells. On this target I actually held over one mildot which was a little too much printing the group a little higher so for the rest of the pellet brands I decided to dial them closer to the bull on the test page before shooting the groups.
I am not a big fan of new pellet designs, I have my favourites that do the job and they don’t cost too much so I stick with them, so When Shooter gave me a handful of these to test I viewed them with indifference. However their consistent weight and head size gained my attention and their 5 shot group on paper got my appreciation, they were very acceptable. I think further testing is needed for these pellets as they are very well known for their Wind bucking abilities and retaining considerably more energy than other pellets in its class. I would like to have tested some 4.52mm pellets as Daystate make these in (acclaimed) 4.51mm, 4.52mm and 4.53mm.

Second group was the Webly Accupells, 1010fps, 7.9gr, head sizes ranged from 4.43mm to 4.48mm Webly make no claim as to head size for these pellets. Webly bought the Accupell name and production dies from Crosman whom manufactured these pellets up until a few years ago as you can see by the two tins below. They are the same pellet as the Crosman Premiers only they are not batched from a single die run like the Premiers they are made in multiple dies with mixed head sizes and weights depending on the lead/antimony brew and all mixed together when packaged into tins. These are Very loose in my chamber and I have to watch they don’t drop out and get crushed in the bolt. I shot these un-sorted as I always have and they shot yet another boring predictable Accupell group.. the size of the group can be expected with such a range in head size but this is an “out of the tin” experiment.
“My trusty Accupells”, rough, dirty deformed and down right dependable! They never disappoint me and they were all I used until I got on to the batched Crosman Premiers.

The third group at 1010fps are Crosman Premier 7.9gr 4.52mm.
They were my Control part of this experiment,
I have shot thousands upon thousands of these and tuned the Steyr to shoot them with the exact precision I would expect from any of the high end match pellets. These pellets are sorted so if they don’t shoot… its my fault not the pellets. These were the only true 4.52mm pellets I shot in this test. Crosman don’t advertise any given size on these pellets… Go figure.. It was nice to see them on paper for the first time. I do field test these pellets almost daily by picking leaves off trees and heads off birds etc.. I was very tempted to put 10 on that page but thought that might be pushing my luck so opted for the safe 5 shot ragged hole. These are by far my favourite pellet, they fly flat, fast and hit hard, perfect for hunting long range.

The forth group at 1010fps were JSB exact Express 7.87gr wearing the 4.52mm sticker… However I was disappointed to measure them at a consistent 4.46mm especially as you pay a premium of $22 for these pellets. They were very loose in my chamber like the Accupells. They are a very similar design to my beloved over achieving Premiers and have very clean lines, they are shiny and well finished so I’m sure if they were as JSB clamed “4.52mm” they would be as good or if not better than the Crosmans. However I flicked them down range with the rest of them and let the rifle decide. Something that did get my attention was their point of impact, shot at the same speed and the same weight pellet as the Prems, they were a full two mildots lower! This tells me Prems win by design.. I dialled them up and cut another ragged group typical of lets say “Accupells”

With thanks to David at NZ Airarms, The fifth group at 1006fps Were RWS Superfield 8.4gr again promising a 4.52mm head diameter on its sticker.
The wait for these pellets had me excited, and when they turned up in the post I was most impressed with the marketing on the tin, even more so when I opened the seal. German quality almost blinded me with there brightness. They are the best looking pellets I have seen, so smooth and consistent in weight and size lacking any sort of die lines at all. They look like jewellery.. however as I was beginning to expect they are not the 4.52mm head size RWS claim them to be, they measured a consistent 4.48mm. For the real test I will see if my Austrian likes German food and destroy another bullseye… or so I thought.. Even on the sighting paper I could see a problem arising.. Onto the group test and I was disappointed to see a “row of fly shits on the wall” group unveil itself. Thinking that maybe it was me, I put another 5 shot group on the sighters page to much the same result. I'd be willing to bet theses pellets would be very good shooters at a lower velocity or in slower twist rate rifles.. I recommend all to try these pretty little pellets and don't get swayed by how my rifle shot them, many pellets shoot this way through the Steyr at these speeds I just chose not to review them.
Unfortunately I think these pellets don’t like my barrel or the speed. They flew in obvious elliptical spirals proving instabilities and incompatibilities due to over stabilisation, and on that note my Austrian is no longer talking to the Germans and RWS is now sleeping on the couch.
Sad, I had such high hopes for that relationship.

On a happier note My RWS Germans have hooked up with an older German girl named Diana, They seem to get on well.. That old cougar! She sure has expensive taste!

The sixth group at 930fps are the Crosman Premier “heavies” 10.5gr measured in at 4.51mm, again no claim to head size by Crossman. These have always shot well in my rifle but for my style of shooting I find them too heavy.
They are 26.2 joule in the Steyr at this speed and I feel it’s a bit hard on it and they sure don’t shoot as flat as the 7.9s! They even sound different so I don’t use them a lot. I figured 6-7 more wouldn’t hurt it in the name of science.. These are a perfect 2 mildot hold over at 50m when sighted for the 7.9gr but I still dialled these up for consistency of the test.
What more can I say? Great pellets great group just not what Im looking for.

The seventh group at 1012fps are Gamo Pro Match 7.87gr
After scratching through the tin to find pellets that looked some what un-deformed, What can I say about these pellets except……
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ghaaaasssssssp ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha …
Sorry Gamo fans I really only put these on the page for shits and giggles… to tell the truth “I felt dirty” after I put them through my match barrel so I took a shower.. twice..
The only thing these pellets are good for is squeezing around your trout line as split shot sinkers..

I must add though, these pellets measured 4.51mm to 4.52mm and were tight in my chamber! Now if Gamo can get it right why the hell cant companies like JSB!?

The eighth and final group for this page travelling at 1007fps were JSB Predators 8.0gr advertising a head diameter of 4.50 but actual measurements were 4.46mm, loose in my chamber the same as the JSB Exacts.
Now these pellets were the biggest surprise of the day!
Ive seen all you hunters write about them and heard all the stories but quite frankly I saw these pellets as the biggest gimmick of air gunning history! I read JSBs Sales pitch for these pellets and it basically promises nothing and says try them for yourself maybe they will work.. maybe they wont, I thought to myself what a cop out put your money where your mouth is.. By far the most expensive pellet here at over 4 times the price of many brands tested today the Predator had a lot to answer for and I could wait to pick up a tin and see it spray like buckshot on my paper so I could laugh at it and put them in the tackle box with the gamo’s!
A simple hollow point design with a tacky polymer tip jammed in it to mimic a ballistic tipped centre fire round that is how I saw it.. not to mention too long to stabilize in most common air gun barrels..
But what can I say?....Yummmmmm…. humble pieeee
With the impact point approx 100mm lower than the Prems I dialled them up and began to amaze myself..
The first 3 rounds went to the centre of the bulls with the last 2 just a fraction higher! I am nothing short of shocked!
We may just have a new leader in the competition for an alternate long range hunting pellet… cant wait to group this one at 100 meters.
I researched this little pellet a bit more and found this about its terminal performance..

Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 Ballistics Gel Test 1 - JSB Predator

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:20:05 AM by Wingman »

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
Re: Steyr .177 pellet search and review
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:53:56 PM »
Stay tuned for another page of pellets including: (When I get the right weather and time to document)

H&N Field target trophy 8.6gr
RWS Superdome 8.4gr
Airarms Diablo Field 8.4gr
JSB Exact 8.44gr
Crossman Destroyer 7.9gr
Plus more..

The next test is comparing penetration and deformation in ballistic gel.

An answer to Ecko in regards to measuring head size accurately,
You can use a pair of vernier callipers or micrometers, BUT BEWARE!! The cheap ones will lie to you and make the task pointless, they are not good enough to measure pellets. If you really must have some in my opinion only buy Japanese made Mitutoyo, they are very expensive but superbly accurate and in my job the only ones we trust. At my work it is mandatory that we have them recalibrated once a year. Also be very careful there are a lot of Chinese copies wearing the same label. If they are under $200 new for the 200mm ones or $400 for the 300mm ones they are probably fakes.

Well getting a little sidetracked from my original experiment here but thought I'd give this a go.. I wound the Steyr up to just under 1240fps past mach 1 to test the JSB Predators at supersonic speeds..
I set the target up at 50m and let a few fly.. sound very cool.. like a 17hmr as it breaks the sound barrier.. unfortunately I couldn't hit the A4 page as the were returning from the speed of sound some distance short of the target causing major instability and spinning them wildly out of control.. I would say a good meter spread at 50m. So I moved it forward to 35 meters and tried again.. this time I got one of the 5 on the page.. so moved it closer to 25m and look at the results!
The conclusion: good short range pellet at this speed but hopeless past 30m.
It would make a mess of a possum or rabbit I would say... I will see if an unsuspecting starling will let me get close enough to try this out on a "soft target" later..

After much rain and gusty crap, finally another windless day to shoot some groups at 50 Meters
Heres the second lot of pellets:

The first Group of the second trail of pellets were Air Arms Diabolo Field 8.4gr at 1009fps. Thanks again to “Shooter” for donating a handful to science. These pellets are a full 5gr heavier than my CPL’s but chrono at the same muzzle velocity due to a looser fit in the bore.. they measure 4.47mm which were slightly loose in my chamber but with the head shape and being a little longer than the CPL’s they kiss the rifling nicely.
Another very well made pellet with no rough seams or imperfections of any kind, much like the RWS Super domes to look at. After a bit of research on this pellet I found they are made by JSB for Air Arms using Air arms supplied dies, they are very similar to the Exact 8.44gr only slightly shorter OAL with a squatter dome head shape, and a slightly different shaped recess inside the skirt. They share the typical European clean sharp diabolo lines as the JSB pellets but the skirts looked more uniformed than the JSBs.
Well the first surprise of the day was there was no need to adjust my scope turrets for elevation! They shoot the same point of impact as my CPLs… this is very promising! Wasting no time on the sighting page I cut a very nice “one holer”… at this point I almost flagged the rest of the trails! Nice pellets.. I like them and more importantly my Rifle likes them!
I sorted the 30 or so I had left and they all measured the same head diameter and the weights were within .02gr! Have I just found a pellet that doesn’t need sorting??? They will move on to the 100 and 150 meter grouping session for sure.

The second group was another tin of Germans, H&N Field Target Trophies 8.6gr at 1003fps. The heads measured 4.48mm and the fitted my chamber much like the Air Arms pellets, loose but against the rifling. I would liken this pellet to a JSB Exact in design but the hollow base in the skirt runs a little deeper finishing at a point rather than a flat “reflective” surface. This in turn makes for a thicker skirt and slightly rearward COG which in my experience don’t like to be shot over about 900fps.
These pellets seem very popular amongst the F/T boys and girls and I can see why. I bet these do well with 12lbs F/T rifles out to about 40 meters what these were designed for.
Another tight group but their point of impact was a easy 250mm lower than my CPL zero, that is even lower than my 10.5gr CPH’s! Another pellet that seems to fly true but is very restricted but aerodynamics.
I have my doubts it will carry the speed it needs to stay stable to group well at the 100 meter mark but we will see..

The third group was something I had no intention of grouping as they are pointed pellets which a renowned for being unstable in almost all rifles. But though Id give some a blast.. I thought if was going to do it I’ll use the best ones I could find… “No sir they aren’t Gamo pro magnums”…
Instead I found a tin of Crosman Pointed Premium Grade “Hunting” pellets weighing in at 7.9gr (the same as my CPL,s) They came in a tin of 250 with the head dia of 4.46mm.
I shot this group without adjusting the elevation turret. I did this more to illustrate the wonders of aerodynamics.. point of impact was about 25mm above the CPL’s
They grouped remarkably well but unfortunately the were already showing signs of the dreaded “death wobble”
I would say that 50 meters would be the absolute extreme range for these pellets and their point of impact will be ever changing depending on range due to their spiralling flight path. This tin will be added to the pile of tins that I will never shoot again..

The forth Group was another wild card, they are a cross between a pointed pellet and a hollow point pellet, Another Crosman pellet weighing 7.9 and measuring 4.46mm they are “Crosman Destroyers”.
These are a unique style of hunting pellet that sheds its leading edge outer ring of lead on impact leaving it behind like shrapnel. I bought these more for the Ballistic gel test to follow this test. These took some major adjustment of the scope to get them some what central, they shot 300mm off to the left and 200mm low! These pellets were even more unstable than the Crosman pointed pellets. They spiralled the entire way to the target. It always surprises me how well pellets still group at a fixed range when cork screwing so wildly.
The stack of “never to shoot again” gets bigger..

The fifth group I really went out on a limb to try a different pellet design.. Champion Fireballs, 4.46mm head diameter and weighing 9.0gr @ 942fps. It is a steel ball-tipped lead pellet. This type of pellet has been marketed for several years, first in the UK and now in the U.S. Daisy also makes a 9.1gr one called “max speed” and now Gamo has thrown their hat into the ring with the “Gamo Rocket at 9.4gr”.
A copper coated steel tip? Why? I have always considered these pellets to be gimmicks, so this will be an opportunity for me to see if my predictions of poor accuracy and mediocre shock and penetration are correct.
These pellet makers advertise claims of maximum shock and enhanced penetration. I may not be a ballistics expert, but I am both a shooter and a hand loader who knows that penetration and shock are at opposite ends of the performance spectrum. And, they are directly linked, as in "greater penetration equals less shock. For penetration, a projectile has to retain energy as long as possible, carrying it deep into the target. To generate shock, a projectile must transfer energy as fast as possible to the target. These are mutually exclusive goals. Bullet makers have worked for decades to offset this relationship, because it affects their product so much.

So, why do airgunners need a steel tipped pellet? Do we shoot through armour? The whole idea of steel-tipped pellets seems to be a solution for which there is no problem. However, I'm going to keep an open mind until the test results are in.

Close examination of the lead body shows seams with some flashing on opposite sides.
Upon dissection the steel ball weighs 1.6 grains, leaving the remainder of the 7.4gr of the 9.0 grain weight in lead. 9.0gr is on the heavy side for a .177 pellet and probably out of the realm of the high speed and flat trajectory pellet I’m looking for. However they seem to be stable at 50 meters and shot a reasonable group for a non std pellet. I cant wait to shoot this one into the ballistic gel to see whether it lives up to the deeper penetration claim or the opposing maximum hydrostatic shock claim.. However with the lack of a perfect 50m group I wont be getting my hopes up for the 100 or 150 meter ranges.

I stand corrected…. Maybe there is a market for the armour piecing pellets!

The sixth Group @ 1009fps after popular request is the world renowned 2012 batched JSB Exact 8.44gr wearing the 4.52mm sticker yet again measuring only 4.46mm like the other JSBs I tested. However like the Air Arms pellets they were long enough to bump the rifling lands, and the skirts seem to be a nice press fit.
Like the Air Arms these pellets had the same velocity and point of impact as my 7.9 CPL’s, actually 2mm higher! Very promising.. The pellet itself is not polished like most but slightly scuffed looking as if there is alloy build up in the production dies leaving an almost brushed flat finish as it drags though the lead.
Very happy with the sighting shots, I went to work on the grouping target.. At the third shot I thought I must have been missing the page because the group was still only a single hole! The last two shots went a couple of mm either side of the first three… very impressed. In fact so impressed I shot a second and third group Just to be sure it wasn’t a fluke! On to the 100 and 150 meter targets for these ones..

Thanks to Edac my pellet review and tests comes to an end with his much appreciated donation to science. A small pill container of RWS Super domes to feed the Steyr. These are well made like the RWS Super Fields I tested.
They measure a consistent 4.47mm head diameter and weigh 8.3gr. With a muzzle velocity of 1009fps they had the same point of impact as the JSB Exact 8.4 at 50m (a fraction higher than my CPL's zero) that's where the comparison between them and the JSB's stopped though...

The group was a little better than the JSB's at 50m and I would say on a par with my CPL"s! A very tight 5 round "one holer" with neatly stacked pellets! (the aim point was the number '2') Not bad for unsorted pellets! Unless you sorted them for me Edac?

Being completely confident a few brands of these pellets are capable of castrating mosquitoes at 50m I pushed the target out to 100 meters with some very pleasing results...

The 100 meter targets sorted the plinkers from the long range hunters real fast..
To start with I set up a few large real estate plastic signs and fired three shots each of the hopefuls to thin them out.. some were wildly unstable and didn’t even hit the board some were great. Basically I kept only the pellets that shot inside 100mm because if they were any worse than that they will surely fail at 150 meters. The results:

Crosman Premier 7.9gr: Pass 28mm (no surprises there)

Crosman Premier heavy 10.5gr: Not tested for reasons listed previously.

Webly Accupell 7.9gr: Fail (Just) 120mm CTC

Daystate Rangemaster 8.5gr: Fail 128mm CTC

JSB Exact Express 7.87gr: Fail 134mm CTC

RWS Super Field 8.4gr: Fail only 2 on board 410mm CTC “Cork screw” flight from about 70 meters

JSB Predators 8.0gr: Fail 120mm CTC but consistent unstable corkscrew flight

Gamo Pro Match 7.6gr: Fail if you buy them, Fail if you put them in your gun, Fail to hit the side of a barn! Not tested but I still feel dirty…

Air Arms Diabolo Field 8.4gr: Pass 36mm CTC

H&N Field Target Trophies 8.6gr: Fail 463mm CTC, witnessed violent “Cork screw” flight from about 70 meters

JSB Exact 8.4gr: Pass 30mm CTC (again no surprises there)

RWS Superdome 8.3gr: Fail 126mm CTC, the high drag of this serrated skirt design seems to slow these pellets very quickly causing the groups to open up drastically.. great sub 50m pellet though.

Crosman Premium Pointed 7.9gr: Fail none on board, witnessed violent “Cork screw” flight from about 60 meters

Crosman Destroyers 7.9gr: Fail none on board, witnessed violent “Cork screw” flight from about 60 meters

The three clear winners then went on to prove their worthiness on their very own A4 sized target with a 35mm black bulls eye. During sighting for these groups I noted the two 8.4gr pellets shot 1 mil dot lower that the CPL 7.9gr’s. still no adjustment for windage though.

Here they are:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:27:10 AM by Wingman »

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
Re: Steyr .177 pellet search and review
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
Crosman Premier 7.9gr: 29mm CTC

JSB Exact 8.44gr: 27mm CTC

Air Arms 8.4gr: 38mm CTC

A quick re-zero at 150 yards and off we go again... on the same A4 sized target with 35mm bulls eye.
This time round I had to adjust the windage turret as there was a slight breeze from right to left.

Crosman Premier 7.9gr: 61mm CTC

JSB Exact 8.44gr: 78mm CTC

Air Arms 8.4gr: 98mm CTC

This really sorts the play pellets from the hunting pellets! Unbelievable that all three brands of these pellets stayed stable to 3 times the distance of most other pellets! More proof that the overlooked and misunderstood .177 pellet can certainly hold its own against the .22 pellet.
These are not exactly impressive groups from any centre fire rifle at this range but It certainly pushing this little air rifle to it outer limits!
To tell the truth I’m glad there were only three pellets that I tested which could perform at this range because I got very sick of walking back and forward from the target boards… These results have given me two new pellets, the JSB Exact 8.44g and the Air Arms Diabolo Field 8.4gr.

1: Crosman Premium Pointed 7.9gr
2: H&N Field Target Trophy 8.6gr
3: Daystate Rangemaster 8.5gr
4: Webly Accupell 7.9gr
5: Champion Fireball 9.0gr
6: Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5gr
7: JSB Predator 8.0gr
8: JSB Exact Express 7.87gr
9: RWS super Field 8.4gr
10: Gamo Pro Match 7.87gr
11: Crossman Destroyer 7.9gr
12: Crosman Premier 7.9gr
13: JSB Exact Diabolo 8.44gr
14: Airarms Diablo Field 8.4gr

Is my test exhaustive? Obviously not, But I've tested enough pellets to recognize their performance potential from a small sampling like this. Had I shot at 100 or even 150 meters with all the pellets, the groups would have been larger and the performance of each pellet more dramatic. This test tells me what I need to know.
I have found the secondary pellets I was looking for and learned a few things along the way.
Time for a well deserved beer I think…

Stay tuned for ballistic gel penetration and deformity tests..

Beware! Shooting hard lead alloy at these high speeds has a consequence!
The consequence of pushing some pellets faster than 900fps is bore leading. Yes, as conflicting as it sounds, hard lead alloy deposits lead on the surface of the bore more readily than pure lead. What hard lead does do is offer a pellet less subjected to “container and handling” damage, also hard bullets tend not to strip out from the rifling (rip loose from the rifling lands) as easily as pure lead (lead/tin alloy) bullets. Most pellets use a lead bullet alloyed with a small amount of tin but some manufacturers have started using lead bullets alloyed with antimony. These bullets nearly always leave lead deposits stuck to the walls of the bore, while lead/tin alloy (pure lead) bullets flying at speeds under 1,300fps do not leave any metal deposits at all. There are some grey areas where each type of bullet metal alloy starts to lead the bore. Shooters rely on different types of bore preparations, bullet lubricants, graphite powders, molly etc to control this.
900fps is not a magic number.. The number 900 is just a general speed around which things usually start happening
Some say pellets are most accurate at speeds under 900fps, but pellets have pretty much the same reaction to velocity as bullets, though they are not being pushed by hot, burning gasses. My experience is that Crosman Premiers (alloyed with antimony) start to leave metal deposits in the bore when their velocity climbs past approx 900fps, give or take, causing the inaccuracies. The "give or take" probably has to do with variations in the metal alloy of the particular barrel, plus the relative smoothness of the surface finish of the bore. A more slippery steel with a smoother finish will resist leading at higher velocity than a less slippery steel with a rougher finish.

It Is very important to clean your barrel regularly and lube your pellets if you intend to shoot pellets with antimony at high velocities with precision. Personally I make a habit of cleaning my barrel every time I refill the cylinder with a pull through made from length of 150lbs fishing mono with a melted blob at one end and cut sharp at the other to thread on dry cotton patches, About every 500 shots I use a bore cleaning liquid to give it a real clean and polish. It requires about 10 shots after this liquid clean to “season the bore” and bring the point of impact back to the pre cleaned zero. This method works for me and stops any long term lead build up forming and creating big accuracy issues.

"This is a dry patch"I tried to capture the shininess of the lead glitter deposits but the photo does't really pick it up..

Well then... A kg catering sized bag of gelatine, 7 litres of water 3 hours of mixing a heating on the gas hob, a small lesson in youtube chemistry and bingo... 8kgs of prime clear ballistic gel! Its taking up a whole shelf in the fridge at the moment but it should be ready to fill with lead on Sunday. I will do my best to back light it and film it close up to compare hydrostatic shock waves and track pellet paths. Stay tuned.

This test was done to test penetration and shock of each pellet. Penetration and Hydrostatic shock are at opposite ends of the performance spectrum. And, they are directly linked, as in "greater penetration equals less shock. For penetration, a projectile has to retain energy as long as possible, carrying it deep into the target. To generate shock, a projectile must transfer energy as fast as possible to the target meaning very little penetration. These are mutually exclusive goals.
The following pellets were shot into the ballistic gel from 25 meters. This was their penetration depths.

1: Crosman Premium Pointed 7.9gr 197mm
2: H&N Field Target Trophy 8.6gr 215mm
3: Daystate Rangemaster 8.5gr 240mm
4: Webly Accupell 7.9gr 198mm
5: Champion Fireball 9.0gr 90mm ball tip-100mm
6: Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5gr 248mm
7: JSB Predator 8.0gr 115mm
8: JSB Exact Express 7.87gr 188mm
9: RWS super Field 8.4gr 195mm
10: Gamo Pro Match 7.87gr 125mm
11: Crossman Destroyer 7.9gr 84mm
12: Crosman Premier 7.9gr 200mm
13: JSB Exact Diabolo 8.44gr 218mm
14: Airarms Diablo Field 8.4gr 180mm

The clear winners for penetration were the Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5gr at 248mm and the Daystate Rangemaster 8.5gr at 240mm (also marketed as the Logun penetrator)

Also solved the mystery of whether the Champion fireball was a penetrator or a shock delivery system. These pellet makers advertise claims of maximum shock and enhanced penetration. It was indeed a maximum shock pellet with very little penetration at only 90mm with the steel ball continuing for another 10mm.

The pellet delivering the most shock was the Crossman Destroyer 7.9gr with only 84mm of penetration and a massive curved wound canal. This pellet expanded the most with the JSB Predator a close second.

The predator was my favourite in this test.. it mushroomed instantly on impact loosing its plastic tip at 20mm and continuing on to a depth of 115mm.
this pellet shows very good expansion.

All of the others only showed slight to no deformation with predictable penetration for match pellets of their weight.

Another interesting "point" (excuse the pun) was possibly one of the biggest gimmick pellets here, the Crosman pointed "Hunting" Pellet, the pointed tip marketed for better hunting penetration... it burrowed less gel than its dome head cousins! I stand by my statement that pointed pellets are good for nothing.

I filmed this test with some good results so will try to capture some freeze frame pics at the moment of impact..

Heres the shock of the JSB Predator on impact with the ballistic gel...

This picture clearly indicates why I want the 4.52mm heads on all pellets for the Steyr barrel.
Just look at the depth the rifling has cut into the two 4.52mm CPL and CPH pellets.
This is needed for good bore alignment and for a good solid "bite" to spin that little pellet to perfect accuracy.
Compare this to the JSB 8.44gr on the left. The head is barely marked, instead the pellet is relying on
the skirt to engage the rifling... This also explains the higher muzzle velocity of the JSB with less friction
down the tube. Not ideal in my opinion.

On another note I shot the JSB and Air Arms pellets in a steady cross wind the other day at 75 meters and they were wildly unstable and all over the target. The JSBs seem great on a calm day but the CPL's came out on top again with only the expected side drift in the wind.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:04:36 AM by Wingman »

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 20
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for that pellet that equals MC sqaured
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »
Sadly you not including those CAC pellets on your test wingy,im pretty sure hundreds shooters still use them,let me know if you want make some test i will sent you that CAC (pointed and round nose/dome)  :)
NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
Sadly you not including those CAC pellets on your test wingy,im pretty sure hundreds shooters still use them,let me know if you want make some test i will sent you that CAC (pointed and round nose/dome)  :)

Wash your mouth out Hidayat! I would not put those pellets through any of my rifles..  :P they are very light, inconsistent and cheaply made.. was it not bad enough that I put those nasty Gamo pellets through my match barrel that you want me to pollute my rifling with with those too?  ;D
You have to remember this testing was done to find a pellet that would perform out to 150m and only the best will do that.

They are made for short range backyard plinking in low powered guns
I dont use anything in my rifles other than the best quality pellets available on the market today. I see no reason to use anything less than that in match grade rifles..

I did use those pellets as a kid in my very low powered chinese pistol and my diana Mod 27 but only for shooting cans off the fence, even then they were not as good as the cheep daisy target pellets..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:39:42 PM by Wingman »

Offline Hidayat

• Mana 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »

Wash your mouth out Hidayat! I would not put those pellets through any of my rifles..  :P they are very light, inconsistent and cheaply made.. was it not bad enough that I put those nasty Gamo pellets through my match barrel that you want me to pollute my rifling with with those too?  ;D
You have to remember this testing was done to find a pellet that would perform out to 150m and only the best will do that.

They are made for short range backyard plinking in low powered guns
I dont use anything in my rifles other than the best quality pellets available on the market today. I see no reason to use anything less than that in match grade rifles..

I did use those pellets as a kid in my very low powered chinese pistol and my diana Mod 27 but only for shooting cans off the fence, even then they were not as good as the cheep daisy target pellets..

Sorry wingy...i dont meant to pollute your rifle ;D ;D ;D, i was forget and has been told those CAC not suit tobe pushed over 700fps :).

NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE

Offline AXEMAN

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
Wingman, fantastic review on your experience with various pellet types for your Steyr LG110 HUNTER. I am dead keen on purchasing one of these little beauties-although they are pricey little buggers. Where did you get your silencer made and fitted???  I guess you also need to buy a steyr adapter??

Cheers

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »
Thanks Axeman, I custom made my alloy/carbon suppressor and my barrel has been threaded. I am not a fan of adapters.

Offline Heinekevin

• Mana 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
Great review and info

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
Hunting for that pellet that equals MC sqaured
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »
So wingman, when choosing that gun, what made you decide on 177 over 22?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »
No other reason other than I bought it second hand but it had only fired about 30 shots from new. The guy had to sell it when the PCP law changed so I got it cheap. The .22 and .20 has a longer barrel than the .177 and I prefer a shorter rig anyway.
I did fit a L/W .22 barrel on it for a while but I have other PCPs in .22 and the Matador replaced this one in the long range department so it is now fitted with a 18".25cal BSA barrel and it hits like a hammer!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:06:30 PM by Wingman »

Offline Pauly5

• Mana 28
  • Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »
I bet. It's a good looking gun. I have often admired them especially with the wooden butt stock. I have a Steyr glossy brochure tucked under my mattress that I pull out from time to time to drool over.

Anyway, great pellet write up. Its interesting those pellets that are accurate to certain distances then go nuts.  :)
HW98
HW97k
Tx200
S510
HFT500
Bobcat
Matador R2.5
HW40 (copy)
Daisy 953
P-Rod
Zoraki 22

Offline AXEMAN

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
Thanks Axeman, I custom made my alloy/carbon suppressor and my barrel has been threaded. I am not a fan of adapters.

I sent you a query through this site addressed to "wingman'. Don't know if you saw it or not. I t was regarding threading your barrel of your lg110 being O.K. or not as Alex from Magair thought they had a choke in the barrel and threading may not be a good idea. Since these rifles have pretty thin barrels is it hard to find a suppressor to actually be fitted??? Big Q  Could you make me one??? As I am new to this website, I find it difficult to actually find replies etc. Could you email me avidreaderbill@gmail.com or call 0212078809 or leave a message and I will call you. Cheers

Offline Davey

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:19:53 AM »
The Steyrs with .177 (HP and FT long) and .22 LW barrels are choked.

The Steyrs with .177 Anschutz (10m and FT short) barrels are not choked, they are full length taper. (I guess this is technically a full-length choke)

This is what I got told at the factory. (Sorry didn't ask about the Mannlicher-barrelled Steyrs)

Threading a muzzle can affect the choke, but if you are careful it can be mitigated.  ;D

...Having said that, I opted to have a steel adapter made rather than thread my FT short (Anschutz) barrel. No issues, but I guess a target rig doesn't have to be as compact and lightweight as a hunter rig like Wingman's.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:22:42 AM by Davey »
The spreadsheet guy.

Offline AXEMAN

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »
Thanks Davey. I t would be best to buy an adapter rather than F with the barrel as the model I am getting is the Hunter, I don't know enough to be tinkering, unlike Wingman. His post on the pellet trial he did was superb, although he only tested at Full Power-the Hunter is easily adjustable and I will most likely crank it down a little to get more shots per fill without losing any accuracy, consistency or significant killing power on small game (if I do my part) As he quite correctly pointed out, some of the pellets he tested would have grouped a little better at reduced velocities.

Cheers