Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Hunting for that pellet that equals MC sqaured  (Read 19432 times)

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for that pellet that equals MC sqaured
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »
Sorry Axeman Ive been super busy with work as I I have staff on holiday and my inbox has been neglected, I have over 40 from a USA forum awaiting replies too.

Re threading a Steyr barrel, yes it can be done just like any other barrel but care must be taken not to introduce any heat or touch the crown, it needs to be done slowly by a confident machinist or gun smith who understands the choke in the barrels and stress relieving the metal.
It is no different to any other choked Lothar Wather barrel from 99% of factory guns that come threaded for shrouds and suppressors from the manufacturer.
I personally hate slip on addaptors with grub screws.. they add length weight and possible misalignment issues.
Sorry Im not making custom suppressors at the moment as I just dont have the time in the workshop.
Any 17HMR or .22lr suppressor will do it though. the Steyr HP is very loud without a suppressor.\ and has a unique hollow sounding bark to it.
Check out Potter Firearms Australia for a new Steyr they are very reasonable even with shipping and great guys to deal with.

http://www.potfire.com.au/new-steyr-rifles.html

Offline AXEMAN

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply Wingman, I realise that you are a VERY busy man. I will talk to a local gunsmith, but if I decide to use a 'dreaded' adaptor it will be a steyr one (if it's not too horrendously overpriced-for what it is, having the name 'Steyr' adds a hefty premium to the cost and even if I buy a 3.7K rifle off them they sure as hell wouldn't give one away so I'm told).  A carbon fibre suppressor would really look great but I don't know who makes them and the cost would probably be prohibitive, DPT in Hamilton do great modular suppressors so their .22 one would do an adequate job for just under $100.

Cheers

Offline Wingman

• Administrator
  • Mana 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:38 PM »
http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/firearm-parts/silencers-suppressors/auction-1037395690.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/firearm-parts/silencers-suppressors/auction-1039572831.htm

I run one of Darren's .22lr modular DPTs on my .25 Steyr barrel and its a sweet little thing. It has a very close tolerance 7mm hole for a 6.3mm pellet but Ive never had clipping issues and its nice and quiet.

Offline AXEMAN

• Mana 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
Thanks for replying to my posts. I Will most likely pay thru the nose for a Daystate MK6 CF silencer-might as well spend the money now and do it right first time-as well as threading the barrel. I have just ordered Steyr (it's coming from Ausria and hasn't been made yet  so will probably have to wait a while.) I see a bit of info regarding filling the cylinders to 180-200 bar. Is there any benefit (apart from a small increase in shot count per fill) re accuracy/consistency in filling them ABOVE 200 or is this not recommended???

Cheers