Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Your Last Chance to Save Our Pistol Grips  (Read 3375 times)

Offline digit

• Administrator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
    • NZHunter
Your Last Chance to Save Our Pistol Grips
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,
You can now make a last minute submission at www.saveourpistolgrips.com to maybe save our pistol grips for A-Cat firearms. I urge you to be part of this movement. Many of you will have a firearms licence. Most of us have witnessed the slow reduction in our rights as firearm owners. It would be nice to see everone in the shooting community participating.

The website will send the submission (below) to the following people:
Anne Tolley (Minister of Police)
Judith Collins (Minister of Justice)
Peter Dunne (United Future)
Richard Prosser (New Zealand First)
Kris Faafoi (Labour Police Spokesperson)
Michael Dowling (COLFO)

You can edit the message before sending.

The only way this will succeed is if everyone gets behind it. The website will be promoted on every forum and across facebook.

If anyone has pictures we can use of pistol grip semi autos it would be much appreciated.

The editable submission below:

BAD LAW MAKING GOOD CITIZENS CRIMINALS.

On December 11th 2013, the Arms Amendment Act 2012 will come into force unwittingly turning thousands of sports people into criminals. These sports people will be punished for doing nothing more than purchasing and enjoying the use of a modern firearm fitted with a pistol grip. The pistol grip is a natural evolution in the safety and performance features of our firearms.

I AM STONGLY OPPOSED to the consequences of this poorly thought out amendment and the affects it will have on my community. Government and Police are driving an increasingly larger wedge between themselves and those that enjoy the exhilaration of hunting and the personal satisfaction of shooting in the safe manner that we are licenced for.

FORTUNATELY THERE IS A SOLUTION FOR ALL INVOLVED.

My solution is to simply keep the legal definition of an MSSA pistol grip exactly as it stands under current law. Law abiding citizens can then continue to enjoy their chosen sport. This solution would be seen by thousands of licenced Kiwi firearm owners as going a long way toward helping mend the increasing rift between Government, Police and my community.

I urge you to participate in ensuring that the legal definition of a MSSA pistol grip does not change.

This message was bought to you by www.saveourpistolgrips.com
Industry Antagonist

Offline (pink)MIST

• Global Moderator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
Re: Your Last Chance to Save Our Pistol Grips
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »
Ive done my submission, come on everyone should be behind this

(also shared it onto a couple other forums as well - thanks ken)
(pink)MIST - its what happens when you hit a soft target :)

NZAFTA President

Offline digit

• Administrator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
    • NZHunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »
Thanks for that. Theres actually some hidden surprises instore for airgunners in this amendment unfortunately.

Strength in numbers! The submission is as simple as clicking a button :)
Industry Antagonist

Offline digit

• Administrator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
    • NZHunter
Our First Response from an MP
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:37 AM »
This is great to see. We now have a politician lobbying on our behalf!

Dear Mr Roundtree

Thank you for your message about pistol grips and the Arms Amendment Act.

This clearly seems to be an unintended consequence of last year's law change, and I can see the adverse impact it will have on recreational hunters and shooters.

I will therefore be pleased to lobby the Ministers of Police and Justice for some changes, and I thank you for raising the issue with me.

Kind regards

Hon Peter Dunne
MP for Ohariu
Leader of UnitedFuture
Visit our website at www.unitedfuture.org.nz
Industry Antagonist

Offline digit

• Administrator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
    • NZHunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:52:32 AM »
Looks like we have NZ First onside now. Richard Prosser has emailed this reply:

Thank you for your initiative. We will have a Press Release out tomorrow, Urgency in the House permitting, but in the meantime the message below is going out as a reply to all submissions I receive on this vital issue.

Hi All

You are receiving this message because you recently made an email submission regarding the definition of pistol grips under the Arms (Military Style Semi-Automatic Firearms and Import Controls) Amendment Bill.

This Bill has passed all stages of the Parliamentary process and been given the Royal Assent, and will become law accordingly.

New Zealand First opposed, and remains opposed to, both the passage of the Bill, and the changes to New Zealand firearms law which it brings about. We attempted to introduce a Supplementary Order Paper to the Bill at Committee Stage with the intention of lessening some of the worst aspects of the Bill. This was rejected by the Government.

My Third Reading speech on the Bill can be found here;

http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/16568

Undoing the damage which this Act has done to New Zealand firearms law will now require yet another law, to replace or amend the Act as it now stands. New Zealand First in a position of influence over Government will continue to push for such a change. With your support we can be in that position.

New Zealand First is committed to supporting the law-abiding hunting and firearms community in New Zealand in their continued safe and responsible use of firearms, and we will continue to promote the return to, and maintenance of, firearms laws which have been widely regarded as the best in the world.

Please feel free to contact me directly for further information.

Best regards

Richard Prosser MP
New Zealand First Spokesman for Police and Outdoor Recreation Freepost, Private Bag 18 888 Parliament Buildings Wellington 6011 Ph +64 4 817 8363

http://www.nzfirst.org.nz
Industry Antagonist

Offline digit

• Administrator
  • Mana 2
    • View Profile
    • NZHunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »
Press Release attached below has gone out to all media in the last 15 minutes

FROM RICHARD PROSSER (NZ FIRST)

FIREARMS OWNERS RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED
New Zealand First says firearms licence holders are right to be concerned about changes to firearms law which are due to come into effect in December this year.
Outdoor Recreation spokesperson Richard Prosser says the Arms (Military Style Semi-Automatic Firearms and Import Controls) Amendment Act, gives the Government the power to declare virtually any semi-automatic rifle or shotgun to be a military-style weapon.
He says this means thousands of law abiding gun owners could be declared criminals overnight, by changing the class of licence they need to retain firearms they currently own legally.
“The Act gives the Minister the power to turn a thumbhole into a pistol grip at the stroke of a pen, leaving owners in the position that to stay within the law they must obtain a new class of licence.
“All of a sudden people who have always acted responsibly may be breaking the law by keeping possession of their firearms and the only thing that will have changed is a definition on paper,” says Mr Prosser.
“There is no purpose served by giving any government this draconian power to turn law abiding people into criminals when nearly all the unlawful use of firearms cases involves individuals who have never had a licence in the first place!
“New Zealand First warned last year that this situation might eventuate. This law needs to be revised and the Government must promise that it will not arbitrarily redefine firearms as being military-style until the situation is resolved,” says Mr Prosser.
ENDS
Industry Antagonist