Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Gamo cfx.177 groups  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Greygloss

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
Re: Gamo cfx.177 groups
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
Bugger! That would be Sod's law for them to sneak put of replacing the spring. Don't know how much they are to replace if they balk at coughing up, but it's the principle. I just read sometimes this can happen if the spring is under too much preload. I have occasionally wandered around the field with the gun cocked but never for more than 5-10 mins max. I suppose I have cocked that sucker 1200 times or more. I also read that if your gun diesels then that can wreck your spring faster than anything and it has done that lately too  :(
I shoot like lightning.....never hittin the same place twice! ;-)

Patriot-Killer

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
Yeah, all of that is true, but I honestly do not think that much damage could have happened in 1200 odd shots, with only occasional dieseling. Not sure how much a new spring is, but you can do it yourself, saving a sh*t load in labour costs. I have a new 1250 Hunter spring here, but it monsters the CFX spring - I would have given it to you had it fit.
I think you may only be in the hole for about 40 - 50 dollero's now I think about it.

Offline Greygloss

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »
Thanks for the thought for your spare spring, its really nice to see so many people on this forum happy to try and help out - brings back your faith in humanity :-)
I put my gun carefully back together, took it back to Shunting & Ripping and explained my issues. Instantly got the "probably just needs a clean" diagnosis. I didn't want to tell them that I was sure I had a bent spring just in case they sucked their teeth and said "ah, you've just voided your warranty by looking at it". They fired a couple of shots down their range and could see that it was smoking a little. They asked me if i had poured oil down the barrel - i said "what do you take me for!"
I bought the gun in November, told them i had put just over a 1000 pellets through it, the one chap said ah probably due for a service then. I told them i had cleaned the barrel with a few patches and even so, a dirty barrell surely wouldn't explain the twisting recoil, the crunchy cranking etc. Anyway, the long and the short of it is its been sent away for upto 2 weeks to be checked over.

Patriot-Killer

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
Yeah man, that blows - you don't have a gun for 2 weeks, and they didn't even pull it apart there. That is one gripe I have with "gun" shops - they don't seem to be able to work on anything, all they do is put scopes on LOL ;D Back in the day ( even at 33 I can say that ) a gunshop was exactly that - sell all, do all.
What ever happened to " one stop shops " ??? oh, that's right -  greed & money. 
Well hopefully you get it resolved man, I had a bad feeling something wasn't right - CFX's do not twist. I just thought it was telling you to use lighter pellets, but after you said the lighter ones buck around too, it was all over :'(

Offline Novagun

• NZ Airgun
  • Mana -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
That is not unusual for a spring out of a Gamo. I am on record over my regard for Gamo.
Greygloss; borrow or buy a Diana or a Weihrauch and you will then know! If you have lots of spare cash an AirArms or even a relatively untried Walther LGV. Get alongside PinkMist and beg for a shot from his gas ram Hatsan. Which ever paddock you put them in the experience will leave you well informed.

Patriot-Killer

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
That is not unusual for a spring out of a Gamo.

After 1200 shots ? even Gamo haters must concede that isn't normal.

Offline Phill.177

• Mana 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
after having my shadow 1000 from new I had accuracy problems untill I tried rws superdomes and oddly enough Daisy domes . I was going to youngs so I took the gun to get cronied and he said the springs stuffed    well $50 and 20 mins later the rifle was really nice to use and now head shots on rabbits out to 60m is quite easy
 Its amazing what a dud spring can do to mess things up !
Air power for ever !!!!

Offline Greygloss

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 11:00:14 PM »
Thanks all for the comments. I appreciate your thoughts on Gamo Novagun, I had an AirArms and a Weihrauch back in the UK, and I chickened out on bringing the Weihrauch as I thought customs would kick up, it was not a legal 12lb'er and I didn't realise the more tolerate rules over here. I can't believe I sold it so cheap....you'd weep if you heard how much for, but it was a quick and convenient sale. I'd love a precharged rifle, as I have dive tanks already, but don't know if I can arsed to bother with a firearms license. I'll let you know how I get on with when the gun returns. Bet they won't do anything but drag a patch through it and say - all fixed!....not!

Patriot-Killer

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 08:54:26 AM »
after having my shadow 1000 from new I had accuracy problems untill I tried rws superdomes and oddly enough Daisy domes . I was going to youngs so I took the gun to get cronied and he said the springs stuffed    well $50 and 20 mins later the rifle was really nice to use and now head shots on rabbits out to 60m is quite easy
 Its amazing what a dud spring can do to mess things up !

Totally, hopefully once Greygloss gets his replaced, it'll go the distance. Those CFX's are really nice shooters.

Offline Greygloss

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »
Day 12 and still no gun returned, starting to get an itchy trigger finger, and I'm sure the local rabbits are laughing at me!  >:(

Offline Greygloss

• Mana 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »
It's back! Apparently with some replaced seals and a cleanup, I'm not so sure. Fired a few shots in the "garden range" this evening and at least the first 10 shots had the proverbial smoking gun.
I'm tempted to tear it down and see if they replaced the bent spring, it does seem to be quieter when cocking, but maybe they just greased it up some more. Watch this space......

Offline Supaflee

• Mana 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 07:27:26 PM »
Greygloss , you're gonna crap in you undies when you fit the new trigger .
 Dont take it all to bits , just find a pellet that it shoots well with and leave it alone .
 I've got 3 CFX's . 2 X .177cal , one of which has a CDT Trigger ,  and 1 X .22cal with a CDT trigger . They are stupid accurate .
 Rabbit at 15 metres between the ears from the back , both eyes gone ,Magpie through the neck at 38 metres , never moved , just dropped like it had a heart attack . Gamo CFX's are way underrated in my view, price wise , accuracy , consistancy , reliability , simplicity.
 Just fit the new trigger from Charlie and then watch stuff get bolwn away!!!!
 Have you got a chrony ,,,,,,,,,,,, get a ballistics chart by using Chairgun .com , makes life real easy then
 Regards Supaflee